to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dead Space 'remains an important IP to EA'

Your comments on our articles.

Publisher responds to cancellation rumours, is "proud of" Dead Space 3

Responding to claims that the Dead Space series has effectively been axed after missing its sales targets, Electronic Arts has said the franchise remains an "important" intellectual property for the publisher.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby patiotom » 05 Mar 2013, 17:26

So they are planning on flogging it then!!!
patiotom 34

Postby patiotom » 05 Mar 2013, 17:28

So the message here is any game that fails to sell over 5 million copies within 26 Days of release will be considered a failier by EA. Good to know :twisted:
patiotom 34

Re: Dead Space 'remains an important IP to EA'

Postby EighteenSky » 05 Mar 2013, 17:34

Ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.

"Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them."

This makes me fear the next gen. Thats why I'll be getting a Wii U, next gen but cheaper to make games for.

On topic why don't they just turn it into and FPS, they sell by the bucket loads.
Currently playing: New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U), Pokémon X (3DS), Wario Land 3 (GBC)
Next to play: My Girlfriend is the President (PC), Battalion Wars 2 (Wii), Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
EighteenSky 70

Wii Code: Wii U - EighteenSky

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Mar 2013, 17:39

EA said near enough the exact same thing about Mirrors Edge.

See you in a few years Dead Space, if we ever see you again.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Tinseltopia » 05 Mar 2013, 17:47

Maybe, if you catered to the people that liked the original games in the first place, and actually had an interesting fresh IP (as I don't see many other space horror games) Then maybe you'd grow a good market share.

Selling out to a lowest common denominator, set-piece driven - Call of Duty style gameplay. Will only drive people away, and the only people that really enjoy the game the most, already have every other Call of Duty style set-piece game to play. I guess Amnesia will be the only horror game I'll be playing for a while. Since Silent Hill went downhill a long time ago, and now Dead Space...Thanks EA...I may like you more if you decide to make Mirrors Edge 2, but if it's another Battlefield game from DICE, you are worse than Activison
Tinseltopia 36

Postby steve w » 05 Mar 2013, 18:22

Iam sure it will be back after a rest and be a single player for all the moaners who didn't like ds3.
steve w 57

Postby toaplan » 05 Mar 2013, 19:17

5 million is quite a high sales target... The slow-selling original Dead Space took 8 months to reach sales of 1,4 million copies. The more action-oriented Dead Space 2 sold faster, shipping 2 million copies in its first week.

http://us.gamespot.com/news/dead-space- ... ts-6297125?

EA hasn't disclosed the sales figures for DS3 yet. The 28% drop in first week sales was only for the UK market, which is doing worse than some of the others.

Dead Space 3 has been fairly well received critically (Metascore 78%) and some reviewers have praised the game for retaining the suspense/horror element, while at the same time developing the more actioney approach of DS2.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/39 ... isnt-dead/

I've played the demo, read the reviews and it seems that for the most part the game turned out fine. I don't know what Visceral could have done differently. Maybe they should have saved DS3 for next-gen consoles or at least allow more time between the sequels to avoid any franchise fatigue?

Going back to the more strict survival horror approach of the first game probably wouldn't have been a good idea. It just seems too niche as a genre nowadays, if you need to sell millions of copies to make it worthwhile commercially.
Last edited by toaplan on 05 Mar 2013, 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
toaplan 74

Postby flash501 » 05 Mar 2013, 19:18

EighteenSky wrote:
Ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.

"Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them."

This makes me fear the next gen.

Things will have to change dramatically or there could be a big crash on the way, imo.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Imaduck » 05 Mar 2013, 19:56

Tinsel nailed it, sadly.
Imaduck 58

Postby RustySpoon80 » 05 Mar 2013, 23:32

Looks like next gen all we'll have will be COD clones. Dead Space, Resident Evil, Battlefield.
I recommended DS1 to people who missed the old Resi's and now it's gone down the same path.

Its a good job Sony still invest in new ip's. Cannot wait for Beyond and The Last of Us.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby solamon77 » 05 Mar 2013, 23:49

If they really cared they would have already fixed the atrocious bugs plaguing the PC version. I ended up getting a refund on DS3 because after a month, the game still has crippling bugs and no word from the developers as to when it will be fixed.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby turricantg » 06 Mar 2013, 07:13

Ok so lets just have a look at this story.

First we are told that EA is sacking its staff who created Dead Space 3 for crap sales. But now we are told, despite crap sales and useless staff that are not worth giving another job to....EA has said its proud of a flop.

So can it explain to us that despite being a flop year after year....Why is it it still milking Tiger Woods Golf?
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla

Postby NEO_SUPERMAN » 06 Mar 2013, 12:10

EA really needs to sort out their ideas.
All devs would love a slice of the 25 mill per game COD phenomenon.

Selling out a really good horror franchise to action though?
Unfortunately it seemed to work for RE 5!
Consumers really need to vote with their wallets.
Killer IP's like Dead Space and mirrors edge were awesome.

Although the idea for micro transactions was a stupid idea.
So many consumers "love them" they said.
Stupid EA (secret dead space message for fans included in my post)
SIG REMOVED
My posts make mods eyes BLEED!!
NEO_SUPERMAN 44