Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console sales

Your comments on our articles.

Once an absurd notion, Kutaragi's final console could outsell the Xbox and Wii with a last-gasp flourish

PlayStation 3, the Sony system that has been lagging behind its competitors for seven years straight, might end up being the best selling console of the current generation.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby steve_2003 » 05 Mar 2013, 14:15

Better late than never. :)
steve_2003 64

Postby StokedUp » 05 Mar 2013, 14:16

FFS the title and first paragraph of this article are massively in out of knowledge.

The PS3 has already sold better than the 360 because it's a whole year behind on sale time and is almost matching the 360 sales! In a years time when it's had the same shelf life to sell units as the 360 has it will be at least 8million units ahead of what the 360 has currently sold in that same amount of time.
So to say its been "lagging behind" it's competitors when for the past 5 years its been selling more than the 360 has worldwide and for the past 2 to 2 and half years its been selling more than the Nintendo wii has is a incorrect statement.

Although I can't see the ps3 ever passing the wii on sales, that just won't happen.
StokedUp 54

PSN ID: stokesy

Re: Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console s

Postby StonecoldMC » 05 Mar 2013, 14:30

I would go with the Wii on about 105 million, lifetime sales.

The PS3 about 90-100 million lifetime sales.

The 360 about 85-95 million lifetime sales.

All of the Big Three have had an absolute stormer this Gen, but for me the Crown is Nintendos.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 05 Mar 2013, 14:31

Surpassing the Wii seems a tad optimistic, but hitting the 100 million mark isn't so far-fetched.

Most of the leading videogames websites are either UK or US-based and see the 360 as the undisputed sales leader thanks to its success in their respective markets. But if you actually make the effort to look elsewhere you'll see that the global market isn't quite as clear and corporate chest-thumping a posture more than anything.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby richomack360 » 05 Mar 2013, 14:37

Oh no....consoles.....sales figures....nintendo....can only mean one thing
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby aindriu80 » 05 Mar 2013, 14:44

The truth is very simple, the PS3 is a very good console which seems to have been misunderstood in the beginning. There is plenty of life left in the PS3 and if there is a significant price drop this year it will definitely push past the 100 million mark.
aindriu80 40

PSN ID: aindriu80
Steam: aindriu80

Postby cult » 05 Mar 2013, 14:45

With the PlayStation still delivering exclusive games with free online play there are more than enough reasons to upgrade your DVD player to blu-ray.
After all you're going to need a media player to go with your Wii.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby Taus » 05 Mar 2013, 14:48

Amazing turnaround if PS3 were to hit 100m

When you look at where they started with that console - a prohibitively expensive processor, a bespoke architecture that devs hated and a man at the helm who was, frankly, a bit mental (Ken K) - I would not have put money on them selling 100m and surpassing MS (still don't think they'll surpass Wii)

Fair play to them, they've stuck it out, made bold decisions, punted out a range of games from their 1st party studios which supported the platform when 3rd parties like Valve, Bioware etc weren't interested, got costs down, got price down and they've made a success of it

Really good business management on Sony's part from an in auspicious start
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby Solm » 05 Mar 2013, 14:56

richomack360 wrote:Oh no....consoles.....sales figures....nintendo....can only mean one thing

Yes a slow news day :D
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 54

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 05 Mar 2013, 15:00

Good work for Sony and not a surprise really considering the length of this gen and the relative cheap cost of the two consoles, factor in the blu-ray and you have a solid offering. I sold mine as personally the online offering, exclusives, online service and controller are not as good as the Box, I do miss Unchartered though.

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Mar 2013, 15:02

richomack360 wrote:Oh no....consoles.....sales figures....nintendo....can only mean one thing

The lobotomy brigade?

Who actually gives a flying monkey what the says are at this point?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby pherik » 05 Mar 2013, 15:07

With all 3 consoles this gen being able to hit the 80m+ sales mark, I wouldn't really class any of them as 'losers', they have all done very well, especially as the console market more or less belonged to Sony before this generation. I really don't care about a 'winner' (other than the gamers)

One thing that really astounds me is the volume of sales that the xbox achieved in the USA and to an extend Europe. PS3 and 360 sales are roughly similar (give or take a few million), yet the 360 achieved virtually nothing in Japan, so their sales are amassed from 2 main territories rather than 3

Sony may well have stumbled at the start of this generation (and glad to see they appear to have learned from their mistakes), but likewise Microsoft really stumbled big time in Japan (remains to be seen if any lessons have been learned here)
pherik 52

Postby martinawatson » 05 Mar 2013, 15:20

StonecoldMC wrote:I would go with the Wii on about 105 million, lifetime sales.

The PS3 about 90-100 million lifetime sales.

The 360 about 85-95 million lifetime sales.

All of the Big Three have had an absolute stormer this Gen, but for me the Crown is Nintendos.

I agree with all the above statements , i would add that some people have already written off the wii u and i'd say never right off Nintendo , that machine i believe is a half way house until their next (true next) gen console (saying that its the same with the ps4 and Durango/720)

Would very much like Sony to drop the Ps3 price a bit sharpish , i dont think its a brilliant idea to enter the next console race with Microsoft saying " oooh you came last , last gen , ha ha , your a baby , you a baby etc etc"

And Sony get on with a Vita phone and drop the Vita price in other regions other than Japan please.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby Windowlicker79 » 05 Mar 2013, 15:23

Well that was incredibly dull to read.
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby StonecoldMC » 05 Mar 2013, 15:29

Windowlicker79 wrote:Well that was incredibly dull to read.

Its sales figures what were you expecting, a car chase or an unexpected murder :lol: ?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Next