Assassin's Creed 4: PETA labels whale harpooning 'disgracefu

Your comments on our articles.

Calls on game makers to celebrate animals, not promote killing them

American animal rights organisation PETA has labelled the ability to harpoon whales in Ubisoft's upcoming seafaring adventure Assassin's Creed 4 as "disgraceful".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Dannyb0yUK » 05 Mar 2013, 10:47

Dear PETA,

Go worry about things that are actually happening to animals in the real world today, rather than preaching about an act in a video game set in a time where such things weren't a concern to people. Keep your noses out of our medium, we're not all about to go and start hunting whales or thinking it's cool, idiots.
Let's just discuss, not fight.
Dannyb0yUK 37

Postby RicePudding » 05 Mar 2013, 10:50

So people being assassinated, looted and pillaged by pirates isn't a concern PETA? Just as well they voiced their opinion, if it wasn't for them I'd play this game and get the next flight to Japan to go join in!
RicePudding 5

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: PETA labels whale harpooning 'disgra

Postby Kyle Patterson » 05 Mar 2013, 10:53

I agree, we should shag 'em instead...
Kyle Patterson 1
New user

Postby SirDMCalot » 05 Mar 2013, 11:00

All they seem to want is attention.

Is PETA publicly funded?
SirDMCalot 20

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 05 Mar 2013, 11:01

I see myself as an animal defender but damn it are these PETA folks completely out of touch and desperate for attention, all the while divertion attention from real issues. Pathetic.

Besides, knowing Ubisoft the game's whaling aspects will probably need some patch to be remotely playable, or some sort of DLC anyways :mrgreen:
Stan_Goodspeed 62

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Taus » 05 Mar 2013, 11:10

Whale hunting is a inhumane and frankly unnecessary practice given how few whales there are left in the oceans but not really seeing how depicting this practice in a video game is a bad thing as long as its done responsibly, which remains to be seen, the game is yet to be released

As for the first three posters, placing a video game in a wider context is clearly a little beyond them however they'd be they first to complain if Ubisoft offended their ethics with micro transactions, timed exclusives, on disk dlcs etc

Oh well, well worth making the point PETA
Taus 54

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby Barry316 » 05 Mar 2013, 11:19

Compromise then PETA.

Let us go hunting in Wales.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby andy3050 » 05 Mar 2013, 11:21

the point that PETA isn't getting is that just as in real life you have a choice. you aren't forced to kill the whales (we'll ignore achieving 100% completion).

I'm totally against whaling but I'm also against PETA, I will play the game but won't be doing any whaling in the game.
andy3050 49

Postby brookie_2001 » 05 Mar 2013, 11:24

They are right, it is digusting. This content should be cut. Concentrate more on the killing of random guards and mugging of innocent people.

Sort it out Ubisoft!
brookie_2001 62

Postby RSene » 05 Mar 2013, 11:25

There are also human beings killed by the protagonist... Didn't they deserve more pity than the whales?
But no, for them, it doesn't matter if the protagonist sticks a knife in the chest of another virtual human being... only the virtual whales deserves they fight....

Welcome to the glorious XXI century.
RSene 36

Postby Taus » 05 Mar 2013, 11:45

RSene wrote:There are also human beings killed by the protagonist... Didn't they deserve more pity than the whales?
But no, for them, it doesn't matter if the protagonist sticks a knife in the chest of another virtual human being... only the virtual whales deserves they fight....

Welcome to the glorious XXI century.

Fairly blithe statement, I do not agree

Slavery was an issue at that time, particularly African people being systematically kidnapped, tortured and raped by the Royal Navy & Merchant Navy, and its employees, and then sent to the West Indies to work on plantations

What duty of care does Ubisoft have in depicting that period and those human beings?

Do they leave it out, white wash it from the depiction of history in their game

Do they go with the popular metaphors perpetuated by the British & Other European nations at the time to justify slavery, i.e. depict black people as stupid, infantile creatures of lower intelligence who require white people to beat and discipline them in order to 'civilise the savages', aka 'the white man's burden'

Do they recognise, with the benefit of hindsight, that it was an immoral & disgraceful practice

Do you agree videogames makers have any form of responsibility towards reflecting the ethics of 21st century society or is it just about shooting and stabbing polygons on your TV screen?
Taus 54

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby Ali_ » 05 Mar 2013, 11:57

"PETA encourages video game companies to create games that celebrate animals-not games that promote hurting and killing them."

PETA also advocates terrorism and is listed as such by the FBI, campaigns outside animal shelters because they dare to euthanise some animals humanely if they are too old or ill to be rehomed and, yet, in 2002 were shown to have euthanised over 1000 dogs and cats at their own headquarters. I wouldn't pay attention to a word they say. They probably hunt whales in their spare time too.
Ali_ 58

Postby turricantg » 05 Mar 2013, 11:58

Why is it that people have big big problems with the imagination of the gaming world and the reality of the real world.

Let me help.

The gaming world is not real its a vision of a teams imagination of a time, place and reality that does not and will not be real ever...For example...When you shoot people in games...They don't really die...Or when you crash a car, you don't really crash that car...Its a form of entertainment that is not real.

Like books, and films.....Not Real.
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla

Postby Ali_ » 05 Mar 2013, 11:59

brookie_2001 wrote:They are right, it is digusting. This content should be cut. Concentrate more on the killing of random guards and mugging of innocent people.

Sort it out Ubisoft!

I sincerely hope AC4 will see the return of Dot Cotton and her 400 clones from AC1. I thoroughly enjoyed killing her repeatedly and piling up her corpses in ornate but slightly gruesome artworks.
Ali_ 58

Postby Ali_ » 05 Mar 2013, 12:00

turricantg wrote:Like books, and films.....Not Real.

Don't be silly. If you let children harpoon whales in games, they'll soon be hiring thousand tonne Japanese fishing vessels and doing it for real.
Ali_ 58

Next