to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate review

Your comments on our articles.

Staking a claim for best third-party game on the 3DS...

The clue is in the name (which is appropriate, as it's about the size as a Poirot novel). While Mirror of Fate shares similarities with previous 2D Castlevanias in terms of theme and structure, it plays nothing like them at all.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate review

Postby richomack360 » 05 Mar 2013, 09:51

Act III tells the story from the perspective of...actually, we won't spoil that one for you here...

Brian Blessed ?
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Re: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate review

Postby Zaphod_B » 05 Mar 2013, 09:59

Glad to see so much positivity. I'm looking forward to this more than the main console game because it seemed so much more Metriod-y and atmospheric than I found the bombastic original LoS. Demo was great too, good reviews have sealed the purchase for me!
"Never eat more that 2 Pan-Galatic Gargle Blasters unless you are a 30-ton Mega Elephant with Broncal Phemonia"
Zaphod_B 43

Postby flyfletch » 05 Mar 2013, 10:43

Well i just read the IGN review, and to say they hated it would be an understatement. They gave it 4.7.....im now confused! How can there be such a big difference between reviews???
flyfletch 71

Postby solamon77 » 05 Mar 2013, 10:44

I'll be getting this one as soon as I can dig up the money for it. March is turning out to be a rather packed month.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby Reegeee » 05 Mar 2013, 11:35

flyfletch wrote:Well i just read the IGN review, and to say they hated it would be an understatement. They gave it 4.7.....im now confused! How can there be such a big difference between reviews???

It sounds like another IGN 'moment' that to be honest. Gamecentral gave it an 8 and Eurogamer a 7 so it seems to be doing ok.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby Chris Scullion » 05 Mar 2013, 11:36

flyfletch wrote:Well i just read the IGN review, and to say they hated it would be an understatement. They gave it 4.7.....im now confused! How can there be such a big difference between reviews???

It's a bizarre one, as you can see by the diversity of the reviews so far: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/39 ... n-hunting/

Loads of 8s, a few 9s, but also some 6s and a couple of 4s and even a 2.5.

For what it's worth, I just completed it and I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I agree with our review completely.
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff

Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Postby flyfletch » 05 Mar 2013, 11:41

Chris Scullion wrote:

It's a bizarre one, as you can see by the diversity of the reviews so far: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/39 ... n-hunting/

Loads of 8s, a few 9s, but also some 6s and a couple of 4s and even a 2.5.

For what it's worth, I just completed it and I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I agree with our review completely.

It is indeed bizarre, its unlike IGN to be so far out (they do have their moments though) i love Castlevania and im going to buy it regardless, so i have no doubt from the CVG review that i will enjoy it :)
flyfletch 71

Postby Reegeee » 05 Mar 2013, 11:44

You have to remember IGN gave Football Manager a 4 because 'you can't play the games like you can in FIFA' :lol:

I would steer clear of those guys to be honest.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby Welsh Jester » 05 Mar 2013, 12:15

I found the demo boring personally.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby turricantg » 05 Mar 2013, 12:32

I have a problem with the word Castlevania.

Lets look at the word.....Castle.

A type of fortified structure built in Europe and the Middle East during the Middle Ages by nobility.

Ok now the word Vania.

Bit cloudy to find this on the internet but most site claim it to be a hebrew girl name meaning butterfly.

So is this game is about a fortified butterfly?
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla

Postby Chris Scullion » 05 Mar 2013, 14:15

turricantg wrote:I have a problem with the word Castlevania.

A type of fortified structure built in Europe and the Middle East during the Middle Ages by nobility.

Ok now the word Vania.

Bit cloudy to find this on the internet but most site claim it to be a hebrew girl name meaning butterfly.

Not sure if you're being facetious but it's clearly a play on Transylvania, where Dracula lives.
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff

Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Postby Taus » 05 Mar 2013, 15:11

turricantg wrote:I have a problem with the word Castlevania.

Ok now the word Vania.

Wow, I never thought about it that way and, reading your comment, now I know why

There's a definite 'futility of existence' moment when people read your comment

Gif of Edvard Munch's The Scream anyone?
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby Dalaeck » 05 Mar 2013, 15:43

Number #1 I am picking this game up from the demo alone and I'm glad CVG gave it a positive review overall.
As for the DS being graveyard quiet, I can't agree, we must play different games. Etrian IV, Fire emblem awakening, Castlevania to mention some big hitters we're being spoiled. My opinion.
Dalaeck 42

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Mar 2013, 17:53

The IGN reviewer is a massive Castlevania fan too, he must bring Castlevania up at least once on every podcast I've heard him on. He doesn't particular care for LOS style Castlevania though so I imagine trying to merge the LOS and classic style hurt the game severely for him, it makes sense he doesn't rate it same as others.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Balladeer » 05 Mar 2013, 20:57

I'll be taking my first foray into the 'Vania world with this. Nothing to compare it against, therefore: sounds like Muramasa is the closest thing in my library.
Balladeer 78

Next