to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Assassin's Creed 4 moniker 'completely warranted,' insists U

Your comments on our articles.

Scale, scope and content justify numbered entry, says lead content manager

The scale, scope and breadth of new content in Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag earns the sequel the right to be a numbered entry in the franchise, an Ubisoft developer has said.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Assassin's Creed 4 moniker 'completely warranted,' insists U

Postby Faughnan » 04 Mar 2013, 17:17

"hey, this is the HD, open-world action adventure pirate game you've been waiting for'".

We've been waiting for a pirate game?
Faughnan 35

Re: Assassin's Creed 4 moniker 'completely warranted,' insis

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 04 Mar 2013, 17:44

Funny, that's the opposite feeling to what I got when playing every sequel. The third was no different. Instead of feeling like an entirely new game, they feel more like light expansions drip feeding a convoluted story and gameplay mechanics. Can't help but feel the game would be a hell of a lot better without being ripped out of the period stuff every time it gets going all for the sake of some sci-fi crap starring a character who the majority have grown to dislike doing menial silly platforming tasks. Take the sci-fi mumbo jumbo out, let us play only in the periods the animus throws us in and then slowly develop the series into what the first one was suggesting all along. They had potential with this series and there's a great game in there somewhere but it's all suffered thanks to their yearly semi-sequel method of making follow ups.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby arkHam536 » 04 Mar 2013, 17:54

I guess I'll be the first to cut through the inevitably dense pessimism and say I'm looking forward to Black Flag.

I always thought a Pirates of the Caribbean setting would be great, where we have the ability to sail from island to island in an awesome jungle environment.

Hopefully it will address some of its predecessor's shortcomings.
arkHam536 29

Postby Barry316 » 04 Mar 2013, 17:55

All these stories lately and no pirate based puns? The community is slacking.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby corkscru74 » 04 Mar 2013, 18:00

Barry316 wrote:All these stories lately and no pirate based puns? The community is slacking.

Ok, I'll go first. Look, it's AAAARRRRRRRRRssassins Creed.

Who's next? :lol:
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby karkify » 04 Mar 2013, 18:00

There must be some uncertainty in the choosing of 4 if he's had to come out and insist it worthy of the title.
karkify 50

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Mar 2013, 18:03

Barry316 wrote:All these stories lately and no pirate based puns? The community is slacking.

Don't start, the leprechaun needs no enticing.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Bambis Dad » 04 Mar 2013, 18:07

Is Henry Rollins in it again?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Nimron Tang » 04 Mar 2013, 18:57

Looks as though it's going to be a booty. (that was for you Baz)

Firstly, does this mean we can now dual-wield swords? They don't usually show pictures that display features that aren't in the game. That is unless you're Rockstar, and you want to show a picture of Niko wearing fingerless bloody* gloves that do not exist within the game.

Secondly, is Edward wearing mascara in the aforementioned picture with the ship and the palm trees in the background? It might just be the lighting, and I know they described him as reckless, but he can't be that reckless can he?

*this "bloody" was inserted to break up fingerless and gloves, I refuse to advertise for bloody** Nike.

**this "bloody" was fully intended.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby Zubee » 04 Mar 2013, 19:11

I hate to be a downer, and I'm glad they tested out their ship fighting in ACIII, but why did Ubisoft have to ruin their awesome new pirate game (which could have launched another amazing new IP) by throwing it in with the Assassin's Creed franchise?
Zubee 35

PSN ID: Zubrski

Postby shadowsblaze » 04 Mar 2013, 20:22

Faughnan wrote:"hey, this is the HD, open-world action adventure pirate game you've been waiting for'".

We've been waiting for a pirate game?

I know I've been waiting for a new Monkey Island game. This isn't it. :cry:
shadowsblaze 55

Postby Very_Silver_Ownz » 04 Mar 2013, 21:04

Assassin's Creed 4 ? Assassin's Creed bore more like.

Only game from AC series I have played was Assassin's Creed 2 and even that took me a while to get into.

I just don't like all of the pointless features the sequels after 2 have taken such as tower defence mini games when the actual gameplay is very flawed plus I think the animus sections with Desmand ruin the settings. And then punishing the player for killing civilians. Come on you are an Assassin. I want to kill civilians and go all GTA.

If only Rockstar made the Assassin's Creed series. It would be incredible.
Very_Silver_Ownz 49

Xbox Live: VerySilverOwns
PSN ID: Very_Silver_Owns

Postby vulcanraven01 » 04 Mar 2013, 23:56

I lost interest in the series after AC II.
The original was fresh, somewhat ground breaking, while the second didn't quite reach those heights, but was a solid game.
Everything that has come after that has killed the series.
AC III was supposed to change that, but I thought it was the worst entry in the series with a boring character you just didn't care about.
While this new game looks promising, the quick turn-around worries me to no end.
If they want this to be the pirate game we didn't know we wanted, why not create a new IP?
Eventually AC will end up like the Resident Evil series, out of ideas and collecting dust in the bargain bin.
That is unless Ubisoft take a step back from the series, go back to something like Prince of Persia, and give it time to reinvent the AC series.
vulcanraven01 59

Postby turricantg » 05 Mar 2013, 09:12

Wow!!....I hope Ubisoft dont go on about this game for months and months to come.

About how wonderful this game is and open world it is and how badass the next assassin is etc etc etc.

And then to be let down by another Ubisoft over rated by the media super super hyped effort with a story that your gran could have written while asleep doing the knitting while watching Miss Marple on ITV 3.

I mean will someone just get a gun and shoot these nutters!!!

I think they should have gone back in time to stone age man...Imagine what you could do with that....You could kill the bloke for dragging his mrs by the hair....Or the bloke trying to start fire by two twigs.

At least the story would be better than this effort by them.

Come on Ubisoft....Assassins creed Caveman!!!!
turricantg 23

Xbox Live: wigla