Microtransactions: Why the dirtiest word in games is here to

Your comments on our articles.

Real Racing 3 feedback will educate developers, not put them off, writes Rob Crossley

"It's all just a bit soulless, really," is what a weathered game developer confessed last year during industry event dedicated entirely to free-to-play games.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby StonecoldMC » 01 Mar 2013, 17:58

Great article Rob :D .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby richomack360 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:01

Don't like the transactions ? Don't do em

Simples
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby sbradley88 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:06

First it was DLC, then it was season passes, soon it will be microtransactions

All in one generation. That's pretty sad.

Great read though, Rob.

I don't mind the odd one microtransaction. Long as it's cheap and isn't a part of the 'pay to win' philosophy, which a lot of them are, sadly.
sbradley88 59

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Re: Microtransactions: Why the dirtiest word in games is her

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 18:10

It is souless if you base a decision yo go ahead or not on a financial result. I have a degree in Fine Art, I was head hunted by two advertising agencies and several magazines when I finished at university. What I have I don't turn on or off. You can produce art as part of a slaes thing, but what counts is what isn't counted in money. As soon as you go down thjis route you compromise creativity. Sorry I'm so drubnk but that is bollox.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Emu76 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:12

I'm a lifelong gamer come Android developer and I've discovered that everything in this article is basically true. It is now nigh-on impossible and completely unsustainable to try and make money the "traditional" way (i.e. sell a full game at full price and expect people to just buy it.) Mobile consumers, particularly on Android are VERY reluctant to pay for anything so it does take a good degree of work to shift to a model of in-app purchasing or premium currency. In many ways this is better for consumers as it gives them more choice and a chance to try things for free. Ultimately though, developers big and small pour time into their games and they need to be compensated for that so the "freemium" model has to stay.
Emu76 31

Postby Beebop10 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:16

An alternative view , is that triple A could be a declining business because consoles, that were under-specced in 2005 are now hopelessly so. And basically the devs have reached the limit of what they can present . The new consoles should change that , but only on the proviso companies don't try to rip off gamers with ridiculous prices for new games .

As for F2P, the backlash is already underway , at least against the pay-2-win implementation. It only works while there are a few games , but if everyone rushes for that space, the model breaks down . Who wants to grind for hours and hours or pay to get on a level with existing players?
Last edited by Beebop10 on 01 Mar 2013, 18:18, edited 3 times in total.
Beebop10 41

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 18:17

Then why don't you just rip off a free online game and market that Emu? It seems to now be the industry standard, bunch of c**ts without an idea the lot of you'se. You are driving us away from our hobby of free to piracey games and being maoning bitches.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby beemoh » 01 Mar 2013, 18:17

Not a lot to disagree with in this article, really.

That being said, the rise of microtransactions worries me. I mean, while the histrionics we see every time someone associated with games so much as acknowledges the existence of money is getting a bit tedious, and I will generally defend free-to-play, it is rather disappointing to see it becoming The Only Way.

There's a lot of merit to the point that f2p does open games to new audiences for a range of reasons, but that's only a good argument if it keeps- for want of a better term- itself to itself.

If it becomes the dominant model, as it seems to at EA, as it has at Crytek, you're not creating different kinds of games for different markets any more, you're swapping one market for another- and that's not a good thing for the long-term health of games as a business or an artform.

It'll be interesting to see where everyone goes from here.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 18:19

Why didn't I say that Beemoh, it was the point I was trying to raise.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby gmcb007 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:22

What I fear about microtransactions is that now they may be small cheats but over the years they'll slowly progress into bigger things and before you know it, most games will be paid for FTP games. This isn't a system that benefits a player, it exploits them.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby tanukilou » 01 Mar 2013, 19:26

"When you're six hours into playing battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip and we ask you for $1 to reload.. you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time" John Riccitiello is the CEO of Electronic Arts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... R6-u8OIJTE
tanukilou 48

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 19:30

A gun to my head.

Some punk mother flippar needs to find an excuse.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Mar 2013, 19:57

gmcb007 wrote:What I fear about microtransactions is that now they may be small cheats but over the years they'll slowly progress into bigger things and before you know it, most games will be paid for FTP games. This isn't a system that benefits a player, it exploits them.

It's a legitimate fear but it seems from the article games start going that way or start to disappear entirely bar the very biggest releases. We've got too many big titles released I fink.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby tanukilou » 01 Mar 2013, 20:34

I can't except the fact that this is the future for gaming. Could you imagine something as finely tuned as Demon's/dark Souls having microtransactions? Or Zelda? I don't think Nintendo would touch this rubbish with a bargepole for their major IPs (I hope). Are 'profits on boxed triple-A games' really becoming 'hazardously small'? If companies like EA are 'buckling under their own weight' then they should start pulling their weight. Why not try to focus on making truly creative and groundbreaking experiences as opposed to monetizing the same old tired rosters they keep pushing out? Why should we pay for their lack of vision? If they're struggling, let them go to the ground and give space to those who want to progress the medium in a positive direction as opposed to trying to force business practices on it that are damaging to the artistic integrity of the medium. If you're not making the money you once were then you should look at changing your product. Instead the lazy/greedy road is to ignore the signs, keep the same product but and try to squeeze as much out of it as possible. Blame the consumer, blame the market but neverblame yourself or your inability to develop creatively.
Last edited by tanukilou on 01 Mar 2013, 20:37, edited 2 times in total.
tanukilou 48

Postby tanukilou » 01 Mar 2013, 20:36

Alaann wrote:I read last year that every freemium game ever made.....

You got some good points in there. They're also trying to put the blame on us for over-reaching.
tanukilou 48

Next