to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Beyond Two Souls: October release date confirmed

Your comments on our articles.

Launch window for Quantic Dream's PS3 exclusive narrowed down

Sony has confirmed a Beyond: Two Souls release date of October 8, 2013 in North America and October in Europe.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 01 Mar 2013, 17:19

I really do wish he'd just p**s off and make films instead, then again i get the feeling Cage is a game maker is because everyone in the world of movies sees him for the hack that he is. Man can't write a final act to save his bloody life.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby dwhlufc » 01 Mar 2013, 17:22

Hope they do a collectors edition like the "Heavy Rain" one I picked up. They aren't for everyone but I personally really enjoy Quantic Dreams games.
dwhlufc 76

Re: Beyond Two Souls: October release date confirmed

Postby Barry316 » 01 Mar 2013, 17:23

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I really do wish he'd just p**s off and make films instead, then again i get the feeling Cage is a game maker is because everyone in the world of movies sees him for the hack that he is. Man can't write a final act to save his bloody life.

Or you could just ignore what he does make. That might be easier.

You're welcome.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby El Mag » 01 Mar 2013, 17:29

dwhlufc wrote:Hope they do a collectors edition like the "Heavy Rain" one I picked up. They aren't for everyone but I personally really enjoy Quantic Dreams games.

That one with the rain looking cover and DLC?

I had that but sold it after getting the plat. I really should keep more collectors editions, not much use paying the extra fiver or so just to get rid after a month is it.

I just don't like seeing drawers full of finished games I probably won't play again.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby MrPirtniw » 01 Mar 2013, 17:33

"I got my ideas when I used to watch Live and Kicking- the depth of their phone in games really spoke to me. The technology, the drama. I thought about how I could utilize the power of the Playstation to benefit this gameplay."

David Cage- probably.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby wwinterj » 01 Mar 2013, 17:33

Heavy Rain 2? No thank you. Bargain bin at best.
wwinterj 50

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby Fr33Kye » 01 Mar 2013, 17:46

This guy bothers me. Not that i dont see merit in heavy rain, i still want to play it and i like that type of game. I was looking forward to beyond, but the things this guy has said, in the ps4 conference and in other speeches he kinda p**ses me off. It bothers me that we are putting someone like him at the forefront of games. It's not that he wants to make games that are like movies, it's that he talks as if that's the terminal end of gaming. like that's where gaming is supposed to be headed and that is what progress is and everyone else is doing it wrong. It's kind of disgusting.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Toasted_PSP » 01 Mar 2013, 18:19

Fr33Kye wrote:This guy bothers me. Not that i dont see merit in heavy rain, i still want to play it and i like that type of game. I was looking forward to beyond, but the things this guy has said, in the ps4 conference and in other speeches he kinda p**ses me off. It bothers me that we are putting someone like him at the forefront of games. It's not that he wants to make games that are like movies, it's that he talks as if that's the terminal end of gaming. like that's where gaming is supposed to be headed and that is what progress is and everyone else is doing it wrong. It's kind of disgusting.

In a lot of cases this is where Single player gaming is going. Look at Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Max Payne 3 and to a less extend CoD, these games are all gunning for the high action story driven experience a Summer Blockbuster movie makes. I think there will be a huge market for this once someone perfects it.

The problem with all developers is that when they talk they always assume that the games they like and the way they want gaming to head is the only way it can possibly go which is why developers of phone games always talk about the death of console, its way developers of online games always talk about online as the way forward and why makers of single player games also talk up the importance of the single player experience.

Its just a shame nobody ever talks about how all these things can easily co-exist, people like different things and different games appeal to different groups of people. Sadly there are far too many gamers like WHERESMYMONKEY who wish anything they don't like would p**s off rather than just ignoring it and just let those who do enjoy it, enjoy it.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby ricflair » 01 Mar 2013, 18:25

Fr33Kye wrote:This guy bothers me. Not that i dont see merit in heavy rain, i still want to play it and i like that type of game. I was looking forward to beyond, but the things this guy has said, in the ps4 conference and in other speeches he kinda p**ses me off. It bothers me that we are putting someone like him at the forefront of games. It's not that he wants to make games that are like movies, it's that he talks as if that's the terminal end of gaming. like that's where gaming is supposed to be headed and that is what progress is and everyone else is doing it wrong. It's kind of disgusting.

Apart from wanting to play these games personally, that's pretty much exactly how I feel about the guy. If he made his games and shut up, he wouldn't get half the amount of s**t, not that he probably cares.

That said, I still think the idea of games somehow progressing and becoming 'art' by being more like films is flawed. It's even more flawed when you take in to account how absolutely appalling game stories are when they try to be serious.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby dwhlufc » 01 Mar 2013, 18:54

El Mag wrote:
dwhlufc wrote:Hope they do a collectors edition like the "Heavy Rain" one I picked up. They aren't for everyone but I personally really enjoy Quantic Dreams games.

I had that but sold it after getting the plat. I really should keep more collectors editions, not much use paying the extra fiver or so just to get rid after a month is it.

I just don't like seeing drawers full of finished games I probably won't play again.

Its a cardboard box. I think HMV had it as an exclusive, but tis a cracking set. You got an origami included and the soundtrack and "the taxidermist" dlc, which was excellent I might add.
dwhlufc 76

Postby sammikid » 01 Mar 2013, 20:00

dwhlufc wrote:
El Mag wrote:

Its a cardboard box. I think HMV had it as an exclusive, but tis a cracking set. You got an origami included and the soundtrack and "the taxidermist" dlc, which was excellent I might add.

Yeah I still have it, in really good nick too.
sammikid 60

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby Fr33Kye » 01 Mar 2013, 20:03

Toasted_PSP wrote:

In a lot of cases this is where Single player gaming is going. Look at Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Max Payne 3 and to a less extend CoD, these games are all gunning for the high action story driven experience a Summer Blockbuster movie makes. I think there will be a huge market for this once someone perfects it.

The problem with all developers is that when they talk they always assume that the games they like and the way they want gaming to head is the only way it can possibly go which is why developers of phone games always talk about the death of console, its way developers of online games always talk about online as the way forward and why makers of single player games also talk up the importance of the single player experience.

Its just a shame nobody ever talks about how all these things can easily co-exist, people like different things and different games appeal to different groups of people. Sadly there are far too many gamers like WHERESMYMONKEY who wish anything they don't like would p**s off rather than just ignoring it and just let those who do enjoy it, enjoy it.

You are right, and i have no problem with uncharted and max payne. I love uncharted to death and you just reminded me how badly i want to play max payne 3. Uncharted is amazing game design and art direction soaked in movie tropes. I love what it and max payne do and i really do look forward to seeing more games like them. It's just no one at rockstar or naughty dog talk as if they are the future of games. And your right no one seems to speak on how this can all exist together. We can have uncharted and journey. We can have asura's wrath, persona, and the unfinished swan. We can even have call of duty and minecraft but if anyone makes the argument that gaming would be better off without any of these types of experiences then they are detrimental to the future of games.

Games getting better at feeling like playing a movie is not the future of games. Nothing we like has to go away and david cage borders on the same line of thinking as sarkesian. Respect everything we do. Explosions, stats, multiplayer and all.

And i do look forward to seeing the new types of gameplay that arise when trying to recreate the actions we see in movies. Really much of the gameplay in heavy rain and likely beyond is about making the little actions done in movies compelling in an interactive medium. And that's great and incredibly interesting, though it'd be nice to remember that we dont have to stay away from fantasy and incredible new worlds. We dont have to make all our settings so realistic, because in games everything we see is made by hand. We can make anything.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Fr33Kye » 01 Mar 2013, 20:20

ricflair wrote:

Apart from wanting to play these games personally, that's pretty much exactly how I feel about the guy. If he made his games and shut up, he wouldn't get half the amount of s**t, not that he probably cares.

That said, I still think the idea of games somehow progressing and becoming 'art' by being more like films is flawed. It's even more flawed when you take in to account how absolutely appalling game stories are when they try to be serious.

Yeah that's why in retrospect his ps4 conference bothered me so much. Because not only was it disrespectful to those old movies, they were disrepsectful to all the games we'vr been making and every game we make in the future without 100k polygon characters. So games are only capable of something meaningful now that we have the technology to close the gap that represents movie's natural advantage at recreating people? Movie's have a natural advantage because those are real people, but we have insane advantages over movies. And what about all the games that didnt have those polygons? Were they s**t? Are we finally art noe because we can spend 30million recreatimg the facial queues that movies do with very little effort?

It's not that more technology doesnt provide us great opportunities to make characters that feel more real. I mean it's animation that brings a character to life, but it's the attitude that getting close to movies is what makes this matter. Interactivity can tell us more about a character than his sad eyes. Ugh i just cant find the right words but he really bothers me.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby MrPirtniw » 01 Mar 2013, 21:43

Fr33Kye wrote:Yeah that's why in retrospect his ps4 conference bothered me so much. Because not only was it disrespectful to those old movies, they were disrepsectful to all the games we'vr been making and every game we make in the future without 100k polygon characters. So games are only capable of something meaningful now that we have the technology to close the gap that represents movie's natural advantage at recreating people? Movie's have a natural advantage because those are real people, but we have insane advantages over movies. And what about all the games that didnt have those polygons? Were they s**t? Are we finally art noe because we can spend 30million recreatimg the facial queues that movies do with very little effort?

It's not that more technology doesnt provide us great opportunities to make characters that feel more real. I mean it's animation that brings a character to life, but it's the attitude that getting close to movies is what makes this matter. Interactivity can tell us more about a character than his sad eyes. Ugh i just cant find the right words but he really bothers me.

Totally agree- I actually felt more emotion in Gears of War 2 than I did Heavy Rain. Really.

And before all that I felt more connected to the characters in FF7 and they looked like Lego men.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Fr33Kye » 01 Mar 2013, 23:36

Exactly and the reason we can connect with characters that arent anywhere near real is that we are playing through the journey with them. I'm not a gears fan, but there's something to be said for playing through the actions. I mean even uncharted, it's not great just because it looks great, but it pulls you in because you are the one running, jumping and shooting. I thought i would hate nathan drake and just consider him annoying and generic, but playing as him changed that and made me connect with the character and like him a lot more than i thought i would. People give uncharted crap for trying to be a movie, but uncharted wouldnt work as anything but a game. I wouldnt like drake much if i wasnt playing as him while he snuk past guards and climbed the train. It's interactivity that made us like those characters, not the polygons. Those are a plus though.
Fr33Kye 71

Next