Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Your comments on our articles.

Special multiplayer events planned for the likes of GTA and Halo

Microsoft has announced plans to offer free access to Xbox Live Gold services such as multiplayer gaming during the second weekend of March.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby rhyfel » 01 Mar 2013, 16:31

now don't you give to much away now microsoft 2 whole day's, tight fisted bleep bleep.
rhyfel 37
 
Posts: 642
Joined: 29 Sep 2011, 07:50
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby moogiesboy » 01 Mar 2013, 17:03

In the interest of full fairness; I'm sure CVG would also like everybody to know that the Playstation network and the nintendo network are also free this weekend, and every weekend, and weekdays too. Your welcome.
User avatar
moogiesboy 51
 
Posts: 776
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 09:51
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby MrPirtniw » 01 Mar 2013, 17:16

:shock: Are you saying I didn't need to take that second job after all??
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
Image
User avatar
MrPirtniw 71
 
Posts: 4780
Joined: 24 Jun 2001, 16:27
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby mcgooch » 01 Mar 2013, 17:32

online multiplayer is free 7 days a week 365 days a year on PSN
User avatar
mcgooch 12
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Sep 2012, 14:58

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Mar 2013, 17:48

mcgooch wrote:online multiplayer is free 7 days a week 365 days a year on PSN


False.

If not for the multiple days a year it is down for maintenance, then for the entire MONTH it was down after Sony's amateur security was breached. I like my PS3, but let's not boast untruths. You get what you pay for and Xbox Live is superior to PSN.
Chris_Shanahan87 47
 
Posts: 476
Joined: 23 Jan 2012, 12:13
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby Audest_Oggust » 01 Mar 2013, 18:26

Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:
mcgooch wrote:online multiplayer is free 7 days a week 365 days a year on PSN


False.

If not for the multiple days a year it is down for maintenance, then for the entire MONTH it was down after Sony's amateur security was breached. I like my PS3, but let's not boast untruths. You get what you pay for and Xbox Live is superior to PSN.


This is true, you really do get what you pay for. I've had XBL for 6 years, and PSN for 3, and while PSN may be free, XBL is much better in nearly every way.

Also, I think this free "Gold" weekend may be preparing the servers to hold a higher volume of players. Maybe the next Xbox won't require a subscription fee?
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 57
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 23:42
Location: United States
Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby voodoo341 » 01 Mar 2013, 18:33

Audest_Oggust wrote:
This is true, you really do get what you pay for. I've had XBL for 6 years, and PSN for 3, and while PSN may be free, XBL is much better in nearly every way.

Also, I think this free "Gold" weekend may be preparing the servers to hold a higher volume of players. Maybe the next Xbox won't require a subscription fee?


But according to you if XBL went free it would be worse because you get what you pay for. Contradictmuch?
Image
User avatar
voodoo341 75
 
Posts: 7452
Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 08:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby Audest_Oggust » 01 Mar 2013, 18:44

voodoo341 wrote:
Audest_Oggust wrote:
This is true, you really do get what you pay for. I've had XBL for 6 years, and PSN for 3, and while PSN may be free, XBL is much better in nearly every way.

Also, I think this free "Gold" weekend may be preparing the servers to hold a higher volume of players. Maybe the next Xbox won't require a subscription fee?


But according to you if XBL went free it would be worse because you get what you pay for. Contradictmuch?


Not necessarily. I'm sure Microsoft has made enough from Gold subscriptions this generation to be able to keep their service the highest possible quality for the next console without having to charge for the service.
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 57
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 23:42
Location: United States
Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 01 Mar 2013, 19:40

Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:
mcgooch wrote:online multiplayer is free 7 days a week 365 days a year on PSN


False.

If not for the multiple days a year it is down for maintenance, then for the entire MONTH it was down after Sony's amateur security was breached. I like my PS3, but let's not boast untruths. You get what you pay for and Xbox Live is superior to PSN.


Well said Chris, I like balance and you just delivered it :D
Image

Image

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 64
 
Posts: 5741
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby Gameoholic007 » 03 Mar 2013, 02:12

Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:
mcgooch wrote:online multiplayer is free 7 days a week 365 days a year on PSN


False.

If not for the multiple days a year it is down for maintenance, then for the entire MONTH it was down after Sony's amateur security was breached. I like my PS3, but let's not boast untruths. You get what you pay for and Xbox Live is superior to PSN.

As a reminder, Xbox live was hacked in March 2007, and AGAIN in Nov 2011 :lol: . The PSN is 2x larger than xbox live, with better games to boot, and more/better discount deals. On top of that, you can play ANY game online, :shock: without paying a penny :shock: . So how is Xbox live superior, or is that your childish bias opinion? :wink:
User avatar
Gameoholic007 55
 
Posts: 1116
Joined: 21 Oct 2012, 16:53
Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 03 Mar 2013, 02:19

Your gamertags are very apt as you clearly have missed the point, what the hell has a number of users got to do with it especially since one is free and the other isn't????? We all know if you want an equal offering the PSN Plus is what you need and last time I checked it wasn't free, as for better games that is totally subjective and would be childish to state it as fact.

But of course you just did..... :roll:
Image

Image

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 64
 
Posts: 5741
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby CatfishMurphy » 03 Mar 2013, 14:34

Gameoholic007 wrote:As a reminder, Xbox live was hacked in March 2007, and AGAIN in Nov 2011 :lol: .


And the damage to users from those hacks were what exactly?

Everyone gets hacked, it's how they deal with it that counts and Sony made a complete dog's dinner of it: a 6 week outage to rebuild the network; late PR reporting it when personal data was stolen; a p**s poor compensation package that was basically a way to get you to sign up to PSN Plus.

Personally, I think far bigger problem with PSN is the console that uses it: no party chat; updates for games and firmware that make ice ages seem brisk; absolutely appalling storefront in both appearance and operation (it genuinely puts you off buying anything on it).

And before you start, I'm someone who thinks we shouldn't pay for LIVE without content and PSN Plus offers really good value and is the way forward, but at the end of the day the online experience is so significantly better on the 360 that MS can justify that subscription until Sony catch up.
CatfishMurphy 38
 
Posts: 412
Joined: 17 Jul 2012, 08:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby Bambis Dad » 03 Mar 2013, 15:48

CatfishMurphy wrote:
Gameoholic007 wrote:As a reminder, Xbox live was hacked in March 2007, and AGAIN in Nov 2011 :lol: .


And the damage to users from those hacks were what exactly?

Everyone gets hacked, it's how they deal with it that counts and Sony made a complete dog's dinner of it: a 6 week outage to rebuild the network; late PR reporting it when personal data was stolen; a p**s poor compensation package that was basically a way to get you to sign up to PSN Plus.

Personally, I think far bigger problem with PSN is the console that uses it: no party chat; updates for games and firmware that make ice ages seem brisk; absolutely appalling storefront in both appearance and operation (it genuinely puts you off buying anything on it).

And before you start, I'm someone who thinks we shouldn't pay for LIVE without content and PSN Plus offers really good value and is the way forward, but at the end of the day the online experience is so significantly better on the 360 that MS can justify that subscription until Sony catch up.


If we are going to use the hacking as an example of better or worse services then I'll play the RRoD card which prevented you getting online as it meant your console was borked. How Microsoft initially handled that was to deny there was a problem, blamed the user and said go and buy another console. ;) Let's not kid ourselves Live isn't that much better. We should all get PCs any way.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
User avatar
Bambis Dad 52
 
Posts: 2405
Joined: 04 Dec 2011, 11:25

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby sammikid » 03 Mar 2013, 23:08

CatfishMurphy wrote:
Personally, I think far bigger problem with PSN is the console that uses it: no party chat; updates for games and firmware that make ice ages seem brisk; absolutely appalling storefront in both appearance and operation (it genuinely puts you off buying anything on it).

And before you start, I'm someone who thinks we shouldn't pay for LIVE without content and PSN Plus offers really good value and is the way forward, but at the end of the day the online experience is so significantly better on the 360 that MS can justify that subscription until Sony catch up.


I like the over exaggeration to justify paying for a service that should be free no matter which way you try and slice it.
If MS made it free for you to play your games online and use apps you've already paid a subscription for, they know how many people would instantly drop Live subscription, as the other services they offer ontop of online play, isn't worth a damn.
Even if PSN was as bad as you try and make it out to be (which not all of us believe is the case) charging you for a service to play your games online and watch apps such as netflix (which funnily enough is a better quality app over on PS3) because your competitors service isn't up to scratch, is no justification.
Paying for something doesn't automatically make it better, no one complains about Steam being free!
Plus I like the fact a free service doesn't feel the need to bombard you with advertisements, which is something you certainly don't expect if you're paying for said service.
I'm glad I stopped paying for Live Years ago! its a service I really don't miss or feel offered any value for your money.

Make online play free MS and see how many people feel the need to carry on paying for the sub.
<a href="http://eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/SammIKid/"><img src="http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/SammIKid.png" border="0" /></a>
User avatar
sammikid 62
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: 29 Oct 2009, 05:19
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: SammIKid

Re: Free Xbox Live Gold weekend incoming

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 04 Mar 2013, 00:01

Who gets bombarded with adverts? Live has a few but if you choose to not open them you soon forget they are even there.
Image

Image

Superb gaming commentary on the YouTubes; ZeroPunctuation, Jimquisition, Giant Bomb, ThedodgyKebab
Check out my Advanced Warfare MP review; http://www.rosetintedgamers.com/2014/11/13/call-of-duty-advance-warfare-multi-player/
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 64
 
Posts: 5741
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: FragHappyChappy
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]