NPD: 29% of core gamers plan to buy a next-gen console at la

Your comments on our articles.

Research firm gauges interest in PS4 and Xbox 720 releases

29 per cent of "core" gamers surveyed by market research firm NPD Group said they intend to purchase a next-gen console at launch.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

NPD: 29% of core gamers plan to buy a next-gen console at la

Postby 360_Fan » 01 Mar 2013, 14:04

That number will increase when M$ shows its hand.
360_Fan 62

Re: NPD: 29% of core gamers plan to buy a next-gen console a

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 14:09

I'll probably wait. Whatever Microsoft announce I'll still want to see the long term future of any machine. Nintendo have the best future from what I currently know, but Sony do seem to have almost everything I want at launch. But I need to know what the twelve months after that will mean.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby WHITEyy118 » 01 Mar 2013, 14:13

Alaann wrote:why did they ask 9 year olds they dont have any money thats a bit pointless and that must ruin the survey

Agree. I read upto ages 9 and started to chuckle.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby ingy » 01 Mar 2013, 14:32

29%, I can't see that many consoles being available at launch though, but i suppose if sony shaft us in europe with a staggered launch as per normal it will give them a bit more time to build stocks.
ingy 64

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 01 Mar 2013, 14:33

I started saving money for the PS4 a few months back, definitely a day one purchase for me. I'm still on the fence for the Nextbox, I know I'll get one eventually - not unlike the WiiU - but I don't think any of their known exclusives would make me shell out at launch, provided they're launch titles indeed. Besides, it seems the PS3 has more interesting games (at least to me) coming than the 360 this year, so I know I can juggle between the two for a while.

Anyway, It's gonna be an interesting E3, and I am convinced that whichever platform we choose ultimately the console doom-mongers got another thing coming.
Stan_Goodspeed 62

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby stealth » 01 Mar 2013, 14:42

way to high
stealth 47

Postby ingy » 01 Mar 2013, 14:44

Stan_Goodspeed wrote:I started saving money for the PS4 a few months back, definitely a day one purchase for me. I'm still on the fence for the Nextbox, I know I'll get one eventually - not unlike the WiiU - but I don't think any of their known exclusives would make me shell out at launch, provided they're launch titles indeed. Besides, it seems the PS3 has more interesting games (at least to me) coming than the 360 this year, so I know I can juggle between the two for a while.

Anyway, It's gonna be an interesting E3, and I am convinced that whichever platform we choose ultimately the console doom-mongers got another thing coming.

Yeah, i'm very optimistic about this next round of consoles, i don't think there'll be any major difference between the two, they will both have to play the up and coming battlefields and call of duty games, so the specs will be the same regardless of all the internet rumours.

This means both camps will have to work hard to gain our loyalty, let the fun begin.
ingy 64

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 14:45

stealth wrote:way to high

Agreed, going by how many gamers play more than five hours a week, you'd be looking at sales in the region of 36 million at launch for the PS4 and 720 combined.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Mar 2013, 14:49

I'll be holding off. I am more than happy with my PS3 and what is still to come (FFXIV, FFXIII Versus, The last of Us, Gran Turismo 6, The Last Guardian) and most third-party next-gen games will be released on PS3 (Watch Dogs, AC4, Ground Zeroes etc) for a couple of years. Slightly improved versions of current gen games is not worth picking up a new console for IMO.

In a few years, when games are exclusive to PS4 and Xbox 720 and are therefor making the most of those systems I will make the jump.
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby richomack360 » 01 Mar 2013, 14:51

Something wrong here

29 per cent of "core" gamers surveyed by market research firm NPD Group said they intend to purchase a next-gen console at launch

Ok, no problem about 400 quid each...

The survey was completed by 887 US respondents aged nine and above who currently play games for five or more hours per week

So, how will these 9 year olds afford the next gen systems ?

Wouldo f thought core gamers, ones who have been in the gaming fold for a while now, would be mid-twenties onwards, with disposable income etc ?

Seriously, interviewing 9 year olds ? shouldnt they be out climbing trees or something, not playin CoD(swallop)
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby Sandbwoy » 01 Mar 2013, 15:18

Alaann wrote:why did they ask 9 year olds they dont have any money thats a bit pointless and that must ruin the survey

Exactly what I thought, kids can say anything. In their imagination they might like to get a new console when it's launched, but they don't earn wages. What a ridiculous, pointless survey.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby buffig » 01 Mar 2013, 15:21

I dont really have any loyalties to a brand. I have a PS3 and I loved what Sony has in mind for PS4. Which console I buy really depends on what MS shows off. Either way, I'll definitely have one at launch.
buffig 62

Postby LordVonPS3 » 01 Mar 2013, 15:23

360_Fan wrote:That number will increase when M$ shows its hand.

9 Yr old : "I look forward to Microsoft Game & Watch."
LordVonPS3 57

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Mar 2013, 15:25

No one enjoyed my statistics joke? I actually researched it based on stats of gamers that play more than five hours a week, then how many were multi format gamers versus single console owners, then looked at how many of each console had sold this generation. It was really complicated to get that punch line to work out at 36.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby Spider82 » 01 Mar 2013, 15:26

I am a true gamer and will be buying both! I prefer the Xbox, but would never miss the Sony exclusives!
Spider82 37

Next