to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Bleszinski defends microtransactions, EA

Your comments on our articles.

Also says "every console game must have a steady stream of DLC"

Former Epic Games designer Cliff Bleszinski has defended publishers using the microtransaction payment model in games.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby wezbit » 01 Mar 2013, 12:18

Vilified? When you put micro transactions in a game you paid full price for, lets say scrap items in DS3. Then you are being villainous! making people pay for something like that is a disgrace, I don't remember having to Pay-to-cheat on older games I have paid for! So STFU Cliff. I bet in upcoming news Cliff Bleszinski has decided to join EA as an art directer.
wezbit 39

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Mar 2013, 12:19

Can't see much wrong with that.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Drusus » 01 Mar 2013, 12:19

If you don't like them don't buy them.

I don't Cliff, I haven't bought an EA game for over a year now, I don't agree with the way they treat customers. I think what you mean to say is if you don't like them be quiet, that's not something I care to do, if people want to speak EA I'm happy to let them know all about the problems I have with EA, coincidentally all of my reasons are from the way they've treated me while dealing with their customer service and none have to do with microtransactions.

Oh and Cliff there's a difference between making a game free and selling hats in it to charging for content and advancement.

Also I don't think Valve are perfect but I had an issue with Steam and it was sorted out in a ten minute chat, I had an issue with Origin and after four months of fighting they told me they wouldn't help. . . . . and all it was for was merging my Origin account with the one they made for me on my console when the EA accounts merged. That was it, it took over 12 expensive phone calls and countless live chats over four months and they refused to do it. Not only that they were incredibly rude on several occasions and after writing a letter to their HQ, one year later still no response.

So I don't dislike EA because of microtransactions or acting like a business, I dislike them because they act like a business that doesn't give a f:@{ about me. Coincidentally it hasn't been that hard to not buy EA games this year.
Drusus 56

Re: Bleszinski defends microtransactions, EA

Postby richomack360 » 01 Mar 2013, 12:22

Need DLC to ensure it stays in the disc tray ? How about devs create games that last longer in the disc tray without DLC ? for example CryBabytek and Crysis 3's 5 hour campaign ?

I used to like this guy but he don't half believe his own hype.

I don't buy EA products anymore just because they are, by and large, rubbish and I am not keen on people telling me how I should play / enjoy my games - but for every one of me there are dozens of people hemorrhaging cash to get items they don't need.

I for one won't use microtransactions - I don't need to, would prefer to learn how to play games rather than buy my way through them.
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Torico » 01 Mar 2013, 12:32

Purposely removing missions and content from games so they can sell it later as DLC, yea defend that you prick.
Torico 28

Postby sonic_uk » 01 Mar 2013, 12:39

£A - its in the game (we'll it is if you pay the full price and then pay us another 30 quid or so).

There is absolutely no defence for £A cliff, you're blatantly on the wrong side.

It seems everyday we are seeing more and more of these articles which is good, keep them coming - in the short term I know what games and publishers to avoid in the future. Unfortunately this will spread just like everything else until every game is infested with it, at which point I'll find another hobby.

God, its depressing to see what gaming has become. It could be really great, with the technology we have available we could see some truly amazing stuff, but alas nowadays it all boils down to how much shameless companies and suits figure they can rip us off by. I miss the 80's and 90's.
Own...Xbox360(Slim), Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, Xbox360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 53

Postby WHITEyy118 » 01 Mar 2013, 12:49

It's quite simple really. You can't defend micro transactions! It's just a plan to get players to spend money unwillingly on crap they don't need. Oh 99p here and 99p there won't matter, yet it'll all soon add up.

You know why this has come about don't you? There has prob been games before from EA but I think Ultimate Team from FIFA has been their cash cow. They've realised how much people spend on crap they don't need and they're grabbing it with both hands.

And EA wonder why they have the reputation they do. Open your eyes EA!
WHITEyy118 39

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 01 Mar 2013, 12:52

highlanderjim wrote:microtransaction and DLC are the aids of gaming

How exactly. All Dlc is, is a delivery system. You used to get expansions on disc and now all you have to do is download them. Now tons of games have expansions that just wouldn't of done before hand and they enable devlopers to create interesting new twists on gameplay with the bare minimum of risk.

MIcrotransactions i'm not so fond of, but i dont see the problem with them in retail games so long as players aren't bullied into paying more or the main game isn't cheapend as a result of it. If EA puts them in future game sin the same manner as DS3 then I don't see a problem. I finished the entire game and never went anywhere near it. I didn't even figure out how to.

The greatest problem in gaming, is actually a small group of ignorant, eltist, overly entitled basement dwellers that know f* all about how games are made or how any of it actually works but presume to cry foul as soon as anything that doesn't fit their early 90s view of gaming is announced or trialed.

Thats right ladies and gents the greatest problem in gaming. is the gamers.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby WHITEyy118 » 01 Mar 2013, 13:01

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:MIcrotransactions i'm not so fond of, but i dont see the problem with them in retail games so long as players aren't bullied into paying more or the main game isn't cheapend as a result of it. If EA puts them in future game sin the same manner as DS3 then I don't see a problem. I finished the entire game and never went anywhere near it. I didn't even figure out how to.

That's the thing though. You may go nowhere near them but they are there to entice the vulnerable. It's no different to hanging out at a playground with a bag full of sweets.

I was, and still am, dead set against micro transactions yet I admit to having bought a few things. It's just a cheap tactic where people are almost pressured into buying things. And that's what these companies want.
Last edited by WHITEyy118 on 01 Mar 2013, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby richomack360 » 01 Mar 2013, 13:06

WHITEyy118 wrote:[hanging out at a playground with a bag full of sweats.

Eww, how did you fill the bag with sweat ?
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby DarkMasterOz » 01 Mar 2013, 13:14

I remember having to buy Team Fortress 2 when it was bundled with the Orange Box, so really I can't see much difference.
DarkMasterOz 53

Postby Rammsoldat » 01 Mar 2013, 13:15

This guy man..

Epic used to be much beloved for providing free maps and content for their games but since they hooked up with microsoft it started going out the window. They tried to do it for Gears of war 1 and the fanbase were forgiving because the content was good and they pushed the blame onto microsoft. Skip forward to Gears of war 3 they bring out skins and pay for characters ect, not a problem because i didnt need any of those to keep playing multiplayer but then they release more maps and say "if you dont like them dont buy them we arent forcing you" wich is a bit of a lie when you consider that if you dont buy those maps you are kicked off the multiplayer server and have to go back to the gears of war lagfest wich is not very enjoyable.

If he cant see the difference between a company charging full price and then milking the hell out of people afterwards and a game that is free to play that makes its money by selling bits of tat then there is no hope for him and he's just a gigantic doche nozzle. And even at the end of it all its the attitude of EA that gets it the bulk of its hatred more than the profiteering.
#PS4noDRM
SANDVICH AND I ARE COMING FOR YOU!
Rammsoldat 52

PSN ID: Rammsoldat
Steam: Rammsoldat

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Mar 2013, 13:16

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:How exactly. All Dlc is, is a delivery system. You used to get expansions on disc and now all you have to do is download them. Now tons of games have expansions that just wouldn't of done before hand and they enable devlopers to create interesting new twists on gameplay with the bare minimum of risk.

MIcrotransactions i'm not so fond of, but i dont see the problem with them in retail games so long as players aren't bullied into paying more or the main game isn't cheapend as a result of it. If EA puts them in future game sin the same manner as DS3 then I don't see a problem. I finished the entire game and never went anywhere near it. I didn't even figure out how to.

The greatest problem in gaming, is actually a small group of ignorant, eltist, overly entitled basement dwellers that know f* all about how games are made or how any of it actually works but presume to cry foul as soon as anything that doesn't fit their early 90s view of gaming is announced or trialed.

Thats right ladies and gents the greatest problem in gaming. is the gamers.

Well said.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 66

Postby WHITEyy118 » 01 Mar 2013, 13:17

richomack360 wrote:
WHITEyy118 wrote:[hanging out at a playground with a bag full of sweats.

Eww, how did you fill the bag with sweat ?

;)
WHITEyy118 39

Postby ilovenewtech » 01 Mar 2013, 13:19

Hi super awesome fellow forum posters these articles are not making me feel very groovy.

I'm starting to get the feeling the only place left to find pure hardcore gaming is on a pc from developers like Valve. Yes they let you buy some silly hats or the odd gun or two but what EA want to do is make you pay for the game up front and then pay to progress and if you don't you have to grind.

I am tired of motion control, remotes, clouds, pay to win, dual screen, always online and connected to other players and all the other gimmicks that especially with the new generation seemingly going full whack with Kinect/Eye Toy/Move and touch screen/pad. Why can't I play games the old fashioned way where you purchase the game then sit in front of your tv/monitor and enjoy without waving your arms around like a nutcase or having some git interfere with my solo experience.

I love new tech but do you know what I love more than tech?

Games. And for me all these gimmicks are diluting what I love.

I will be getting a PC. Probably the neXtbox and PS4 for the exclusives providing they do not get butchered along the way.

And you Bleszinski are a complete t**t now F OFF and DIE.

Awesome cake and ice cold fizzy pop for everyone yeah ( except Bleszinski the tit )!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Lets all be super, super happy awesome to each other. Go team super, super happy awesome yeah!!!!
ilovenewtech 54

Next