to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Hideo Kojima excited by PS4's social aspects

Your comments on our articles.

"I want to bring the Metal Gear franchise into that new wider world of interaction."

Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima has shared his reaction to the PlayStation 4, explaining that it's the system's social aspects - not increased hardware power - that excites him the most.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ChrisTypeR » 01 Mar 2013, 10:35

And who actually thought MGS4 would be his last......
ChrisTypeR 36

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 01 Mar 2013, 10:51

I think Kojima is one of the few high-profile game designers who can come up with the kind of crazy ideas the "social" aspects of next gen platforms need to convince naysayers.

Publishers, devs and hardware manufacturers are all about being "social", which is kind of a misnomer. Every so-called "hardcore" (another misnomer) gamer whining about social gaming seem to ignore the fact that their beloved leaderboards and friends lists are social gaming, we 've been basking in it for years now. I doubt Hideo Kojima or the Drive Club guys want to give players a Zynga-like "social" experience, and even if I understand - up to a certain point - the knee-jerk reaction when these sort of plans are announced I'm convinced there are many great things to expect from a series like MGS embracing social aspects: between Co-op or asynchronous MP, companion apps to do all the tedious "let's run Mother Base!" stuff from your work (so when you come back home you can get right back into the action), sharing playthroughs to help people who struggle with the stealth genre, or even user-generated content (frankly, custom-made training missions would be a blast in a Metal Gear game, so much so I'm surprised they didn't tackle this yet). The potential is definitely here, and I for one can't wait to see it done right (I'm looking at you Dead Space 3 and your broken microtransactions model :roll: )
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Re: Hideo Kojima excited by PS4's social aspects

Postby illage2 » 01 Mar 2013, 11:11

As long as he doesn't make the next Metal Gear a Pay to win/Wait to build game then he can do what ever he likes.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby moogiesboy » 01 Mar 2013, 11:39

Love good old Hideo. His bosses at Konami want to push his wares on all formats, but the man himself, will always be a Playstation fanboy at heart. :D
moogiesboy 50

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby tanukilou » 01 Mar 2013, 20:47

illage2 wrote:As long as he doesn't make the next Metal Gear a Pay to win/Wait to build game then he can do what ever he likes.

Yeah, you can either buy a pack of fags right away for real money or wait 50 minutes for snake to disengage from the combat zone and pop round to the off-licence.
tanukilou 46