to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ouya to ship in late March ahead of June retail launch

Your comments on our articles.

Kickstarter-funded Android console coming soon

The Ouya console will ship to those who helped fund it via Kickstarter on March 28, it has been confirmed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ouya to ship in late March ahead of June retail launch

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Mar 2013, 01:13

PS4's true competitor
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Re: Ouya to ship in late March ahead of June retail launch

Postby Mar27w » 01 Mar 2013, 01:48

Thats a joke right
Mar27w 46

Xbox Live: MARTY W RFC

Postby Padua » 01 Mar 2013, 01:49

The only thing I am sure of at the moment is I am going to get an OUYA - just not sure if I'll get a PS4 or invest in Gaming PC to go with it. :roll:
Padua 62

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby mham96 » 01 Mar 2013, 07:30

Ouya will be dead on release because the next gen consoles is coming plus it is already outdated to run the new android games
mham96 22

Postby Asinine » 01 Mar 2013, 10:05

It can't do anything my android phone or a tablet can do at zero additional cost, so for me, I'm out.

Asinine 49

Postby RustySpoon80 » 01 Mar 2013, 10:50

The fact that most modern smartphones have HDMI-out or Smart Screen make this redundant.
RustySpoon80 55

Postby Spider82 » 01 Mar 2013, 14:42

Ouya was a terrible idea from the offset.
Spider82 37

Postby Sandbwoy » 01 Mar 2013, 15:14

I get why most people have no interest in Ouya and think it's a bad idea, yet I find myself weirdly attracted to it. For some reason, I'm really looking forward to it's release. Maybe because I've been collecting consoles for years, and it's another one for the collection. Maybe because the phone I have is really old so I don't get to play Android games on it. Or maybe because I'm just weird.
Sandbwoy 24

Postby IbanezLewis » 01 Mar 2013, 16:33

Such negativity coming from these comments... The OUYA is a brilliant idea. Anyone who thinks it can compete with the likes of a Playstation or Xbox is a moron of course, but it's not made to compete with them. It's built to serve the purpose of providing something very similar to that of an Apple TV, except it can play games and is completely hackable. With the right mods, this tiny box has the potential to be a cheap alternative for a smart home hub and more.

Why knock a company that is clearly innovating in these areas? It's sad. I expect with the right marketing and the great price point, these will fly off the shelves when they come to be released in June to retail stores.
IbanezLewis 55

Postby Padua » 02 Mar 2013, 12:36

IbanezLewis wrote:Such negativity coming from these comments... The OUYA is a brilliant idea. Anyone who thinks it can compete with the likes of a Playstation or Xbox is a moron of course, but it's not made to compete with them. It's built to serve the purpose of providing something very similar to that of an Apple TV, except it can play games and is completely hackable. With the right mods, this tiny box has the potential to be a cheap alternative for a smart home hub and more.

Why knock a company that is clearly innovating in these areas? It's sad. I expect with the right marketing and the great price point, these will fly off the shelves when they come to be released in June to retail stores.

+1 Exactly why I am looking forward to getting one. It's the Little Big Planet of consoles :shock:
The hackability means owners can be exposed to the evolution of their favourate games by the modding community - just like on the PC. I'm going to use it with my pre-smart HDTV and to enjoy playing Onlive on a big screen too. :oops:

Win+Win = baby wins :lol:
Padua 62

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby NGP » 03 Mar 2013, 22:54

It is not pointless, it is like what Xbox Indie games channel should have been. And it's not the same as a phone with HDMI out, it is a standalone console with games designed for the TV and a controller. Future models will be more powerful, but even the 1st gen model using Tegra 3 is enough to realise the ideas of indie devs, it is more powerful than say a Wii. It is cheap enough for low-income families, and provides a lot of entertainment with all games requiring a free trial mode, and there will be 500+ games at launch. Also it's quite an attractive box, and small enough to easily move between rooms or throw in a bag.
NGP 32