to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Real Racing 3 iOS review: You get what you pay for

Your comments on our articles.

Firemonkeys' beautiful racer comes at a cost

How much will you enjoy Real Racing 3? Depends how much you're willing to invest in the game. Genuine progress requires money, despite any insistences to the contrary, but is that necessarily a bad thing? After all, developer Firemonkeys has clearly invested a lot of time and effort into making the game as beautiful and deep as it is. It's a tough call.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Asinine » 28 Feb 2013, 10:08

A benchmark-setting mobile racer with grand designs on your bank account. (If you don't mind spending money, add 20% to the score. If you dislike paying out subtract 20%.

-20% in that case for me, so that ends up being a 56% rating for the game after deducting 20% from 7/10, that's not such a good score. If you meant simply subtracting 20% from the score then thats 50% which is even more dire.

Not sure if you meant to be that harsh on it?
Asinine 49

Postby EvilWaterman » 28 Feb 2013, 10:11

Why can't we just pay a lump sum and be done with it! Poxy PTW
Last edited by EvilWaterman on 28 Feb 2013, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 54

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Re: Real Racing 3 iOS review: You get what you pay for

Postby dwhlufc » 28 Feb 2013, 10:17

This is almost the opposite to IGN's review. Their reviewer said he hadn't spent a cent in 31 hours and had completed hundreds of events.

I'm going to try it and if i deem it worthy of a small fee like "middle manager of justice" then I'll happily make a one off payment.
dwhlufc 76

Postby RustySpoon80 » 28 Feb 2013, 11:04

EvilWaterman wrote:Why can't we just pay a lump sum and be done with it! Poxy PTW

^^This. In these types of games, there should be an option to pay the equivalent of a 3DS/Vita game and buy everything. The total pay out should be no more than £20/£30. There is no way you should end up paying more than GT/Forza for a cut down mobile game.
RustySpoon80 56

Postby shellster2 » 28 Feb 2013, 12:33

Well I've got it now for my iphone 5 and i have to say it looks amazing and plays great as well. on the downside i've just updated the engine in my car and it's made me wait 2mins to do this or i could use up one of my hard earned coins instead. i'm guessing if you have no in-game conis you can buy them for real money. f**k that! anyway so i waited 2mins and all was fine. i then updated my brakes, and guess what, yep another 2mins to wait. well i'll just wait it out.

still a great game, just mired in micro transactions. i'd have rather paid for it outright.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby roland82 » 28 Feb 2013, 13:39

RustySpoon80 wrote:
^^This. In these types of games, there should be an option to pay the equivalent of a 3DS/Vita game and buy everything. The total pay out should be no more than £20/£30. There is no way you should end up paying more than GT/Forza for a cut down mobile game.

I thought exactly the same thing.
roland82 58

Postby Stigweird85 » 28 Feb 2013, 14:20

Expect this to be the norm and the basis for Microtransations in all EA games in the future.

The freemium model as a whole is a complete con, the sooner consumers realise this the better. It is a sad day when The SImpsons Tapped out is the top grossing app.
Stigweird85 44

Xbox Live: Stigweird85
PSN ID: BigStig85
Steam: Stigweird85

Postby billysastard » 28 Feb 2013, 14:42

EvilWaterman wrote:Why can't we just pay a lump sum and be done with it! Poxy PTW

because its ea and they wouldn't have any way to tempt you to buy a $99 coin pack to be able to afford to buy the koenigsegg.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby TheLastDodo » 28 Feb 2013, 15:24

Stigweird85 wrote:Expect this to be the norm and the basis for Microtransations in all EA games in the future.

The freemium model as a whole is a complete con, the sooner consumers realise this the better. It is a sad day when The SImpsons Tapped out is the top grossing app.

It's just like anything else in gaming at the moment, there are advantages (lower barrier for entry) and disadvantages (what this review states), it's ok in the right hands (MMOJ as dwhlufc points out as one ex.) but the wrong people will always try to abuse and f**k over the customer.

Whether it's Bethesda with patches, Capcom with Disc Locked Content, EA with microtransactions, Gearbox with E3 demos or them guys that did War Z there'll always be someone to try to take advantage of you, that will never change. F2P will die eventually and the scummy pubs will just move on to the next thing, all you can do is continue to say f**k off *insert mega corporation* and leave your cash in your pocket.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Stigweird85 » 28 Feb 2013, 15:27

TheLastDodo wrote:
Stigweird85 wrote:Expect this to be the norm and the basis for Microtransations in all EA games in the future.

It's just like anything else in gaming at the moment, there are advantages (lower barrier for entry) and disadvantages (what this review states), it's ok in the right hands (MMOJ as dwhlufc points out as one ex.) but the wrong people will always try to abuse and f**k over the customer.

Whether it's Bethesda with patches, Capcom with Disc Locked Content, EA with microtransactions, Gearbox with E3 demos or them guys that did War Z there'll always be someone to try to take advantage of you, that will never change. F2P will die eventually and the scummy pubs will just move on to the next thing, all you can do is continue to say f**k off *insert mega corporation* and leave your cash in your pocket.

True, but this is going to get worse before it gets better
Stigweird85 44

Xbox Live: Stigweird85
PSN ID: BigStig85
Steam: Stigweird85

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 28 Feb 2013, 15:45

Mobile gaming needs to get past this 'rip the customer off at every opportunity' if its ever going to succeed. Make micro transactions decent real world value and ill purchase them. Im not paying $100 just to complete the simpsons tapped out.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby TheLastDodo » 28 Feb 2013, 15:52

@Stigweird85

You're probably right, yet on the other end of the scale you've got Sony offering awesome consumer friendly services like PS Plus and the PS3/Vita Cross Buy initiative, it's not all bad I suppose.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby stealth » 28 Feb 2013, 15:56

f2p strikes again
stealth 47

Postby tanukilou » 28 Feb 2013, 22:58

tanukilou 47

Postby Gameoholic007 » 28 Feb 2013, 23:12

I'll stick to Grand Turismo, it has way more potential. :)
Gameoholic007 55

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Next