The Last of Us video: The creation of the infected

Your comments on our articles.

First in a five-part series of behind-the-scenes videos

Naughty Dog has passed us a new The Last of Us behind-the-scenes video which reveals the creative process behind the infected enemies.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Last of Us video: The creation of the infected

Postby bobs84 » 28 Feb 2013, 09:52

looks awesome,
bobs84 7
New user

Re: The Last of Us video: The creation of the infected

Postby SuperGamerDude » 28 Feb 2013, 10:21

This just looks plain epic beyond belief... Can't wait.
SuperGamerDude 54

Postby djs88 » 28 Feb 2013, 17:44

Wow, this game WILL be awesome the new God of War and this will keep me busy till you know what comes out...
BLUEEEEEE MOOOOOOOOOOOOON
djs88 34

Xbox Live: St Zenith
PSN ID: DEC-FX

Postby bobs84 » 28 Feb 2013, 18:11

+ god of war owners get early access to the demo of this game! cant wait.
bobs84 7
New user

Postby flyfletch » 01 Mar 2013, 08:24

When i look at this game it proves that Sony where bang on the mark about the PS3 graphical capabilities at the reveal. Just a shame they made it so bloody hard to programme for. At least Naughty Dog have got it in the bag :)

Cant wait for this game! :)
flyfletch 72

Postby aj101 » 01 Mar 2013, 11:45

A couple of things which are a bit lame to hear.
"We figured that the real evil in the game is the fungus, it's not the people."
- Phillip Kovats
To me the most compelling things about the earlier footage of this game were the interactions between the people and the situations the lead characters were placed in. They've swapped smart, complicated enemies for a dumb one (though no doubt there'll be the intense human fights earlier videos showed off).

The other is about echo-location. This is so far removed from reality in the way it seems to have been implemented it strikes at the core of the credibility of the universe - if the organisms had well developed echo-location there's no way you could move around without being sensed.

Mind I'm only slightly disappointed, it's a game after all. It just seems to me like they've missed an opportunity to make a truly compelling game by fudging their own rules of reality to create what they think is a cool enemy. Surely a fungus would just take over your body and kill you. No need to turn you into a zombiebat to spread.

It'll still be a good or very good game but it would've been nice had they made some different, more mature design choices.
aj101 52

Postby fps_d0minat0r » 01 Mar 2013, 23:50

aj101 wrote:A couple of things which are a bit lame to hear.
"We figured that the real evil in the game is the fungus, it's not the people."
- Phillip Kovats
To me the most compelling things about the earlier footage of this game were the interactions between the people and the situations the lead characters were placed in. They've swapped smart, complicated enemies for a dumb one (though no doubt there'll be the intense human fights earlier videos showed off).

The other is about echo-location. This is so far removed from reality in the way it seems to have been implemented it strikes at the core of the credibility of the universe - if the organisms had well developed echo-location there's no way you could move around without being sensed.

Mind I'm only slightly disappointed, it's a game after all. It just seems to me like they've missed an opportunity to make a truly compelling game by fudging their own rules of reality to create what they think is a cool enemy. Surely a fungus would just take over your body and kill you. No need to turn you into a zombiebat to spread.

It'll still be a good or very good game but it would've been nice had they made some different, more mature design choices.

if you are that critical all the time, I cant think of a single game that you would actually like.
"Surely a fungus would just take over your body and kill you."
yeah and surely in GTA once you get arrested, you wont get to play another game for 20 years.
fps_d0minat0r 31

Postby aj101 » 03 Mar 2013, 04:08

fps_d0minat0r wrote:if you are that critical all the time, I cant think of a single game that you would actually like.
"Surely a fungus would just take over your body and kill you."
yeah and surely in GTA once you get arrested, you wont get to play another game for 20 years.

Note that I am disappointed in relation to what I thought the game was going to be. Or do you not have any opinions and simply accept everything as it is?

I felt Naughty Dog were going for a realism rarely seen in a game. GTA has it's own logic which you buy into. Perhaps in a similar game if your character went on a proper killing spree he or she would be locked up for "life" and you'd have to start again as a new character at the bottom of the food chain (and could listen to how the trial of your old character was progressing in the radio news while you boosted cars). This realism could be counter-productive to the enjoyment of a game like GTA but then The Last of Us is not a GTA game.

All I'm saying is Naughty Dog are going to great lengths to separate their enemy from being classified as zombies when what they've created produces essentially the same gameplay. From their earlier videos I thought the game world was post-apocalyptic and the humans that had survived were simply trying to survive in a society which had broken down. Like Mad Max, or The Road, or whatever.

The fact this is another zombie game reduces the anticipation I had for it. If you can't understand that then no matter.
Last edited by aj101 on 03 Mar 2013, 14:09, edited 1 time in total.
aj101 52

Postby aj101 » 03 Mar 2013, 04:16

Maybe in the GTA type game the higher you rose in the mafia (or gang or whatever) would or could provide you with a degree of protection from the law. Witnessed wouldn't come forward, the investigating police could be paid off. Anyway, segue, that'd be cool but crazy ambitious and likely unworkable.
aj101 52