to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Guerrilla helped Sony 'build a great controller for an FPS'

Your comments on our articles.

DualShock 4 designed following feedback from key Sony studios

Sony consulted with a select group of PlayStation-owned studios as it was building the DualShock 4 controller for PS4, according to two developers at Guerrilla Games.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Guerrilla helped Sony 'build a great controller for an FPS'

Postby sbradley88 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:07

Cvg are just trying to add to the fire of fan boy warfare against the new controller, now :-P
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Re: Guerrilla helped Sony 'build a great controller for an F

Postby gmcb007 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:09

Fantastic news....
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Bambis Dad » 27 Feb 2013, 18:17

I'd rather have a pad than a keyboard/mouse combo as I have never managed to get on with the prefered set up of PC gamers. That said I don't enjoy FPS.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby sbradley88 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:17

highlanderjim wrote:you cannot have a "great controller" for an FPS it HAS to be a mouse/keyboard

All pads are too slow to limited to use properly

Started already...

I was a PC gamer for years, half life, counterstrike, you name it. Then I started Fps gaming on the ps2, never looked back and prefer it immensely.
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby metallicorphan » 27 Feb 2013, 18:20

while the concave triggers should help loads,the triggers still go down too far IMO

(the s**tty red is where i would of preferred the plastic to stop the triggers)

EDIT: stupid CVG,it cuts off half the f**king picture

metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby Bambis Dad » 27 Feb 2013, 18:23

MO post a link to the picture like this:

Click here to see the full size image
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby theak47 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:30

I'm beginning to worry about the cost of the gamepad more than the console!
It still costs roughly £30 to buy the 7 year old ps3 controller, which has none of these great features.

This thing is gonna take our pants down!!
theak47 38

Postby Windowlicker79 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:38

highlanderjim wrote:you cannot have a "great controller" for an FPS it HAS to be a mouse/keyboard

Maybe you are too slow to use them properly?
For me using a mouse and keyboard has always seemed like a "quick fix" option. It is perfect for typing words and controlling a cursor, but clearly struggles with almost every aspect of controlling a video game. Its about as elegant as undoing a screw with a butter knife or stirring food with a cricket bat. It will do the job but there are better options.
The argument of speed doesn't really hold water. Most FPS games give you the option to adjust the aim speed to the point where they are pretty close to a mouse.
A properly designed controller will always be more ergonomic and better for the job than a clunky keyboard that has about 100 keys that are never used in a game.
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby leucocyte » 27 Feb 2013, 18:43

they have said that they have also greatly reduced the latency between controller and machine. i am much better with a controller than a KB/mouse so can't wait to try out the new dualshock.

also, the article confirms that vita remote play for shadow fall is definite. great news. :)
leucocyte 53

Postby WHITEyy118 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:51

I'm glad they've raised the sticks and changed the grip. Since purchasing some KontrolFreaks I cannot go back to the standard controller. The sticks are just far too small.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby JD_Method » 27 Feb 2013, 19:05

Windowlicker79 wrote:Maybe you are too slow to use them properly?
For me using a mouse and keyboard has always seemed like a "quick fix" option. It is perfect for typing words and controlling a cursor, but clearly struggles with almost every aspect of controlling a video game. Its about as elegant as undoing a screw with a butter knife or stirring food with a cricket bat. It will do the job but there are better options.
The argument of speed doesn't really hold water. Most FPS games give you the option to adjust the aim speed to the point where they are pretty close to a mouse.
A properly designed controller will always be more ergonomic and better for the job than a clunky keyboard that has about 100 keys that are never used in a game.

I hate to join in the debate, but I felt I had to.

Considering that the fundamental mechanics and design of the FPS as we know it was built for the mouse and keyboard, the mouse will always be superior to analogue sticks in terms of speed and precision. Yes, you can increase the aiming speed on the sticks, but then you lose that accuracy.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with preferring analogue sticks over the mouse, of course, but you can't deny that the mouse always has the edge when it comes to FPS.

I will agree that there are better tools for gaming than the keyboard though. Analogue movement is always preferable over the 8-way directional keys on the keyboard.

Ideally, the PC just needs some new form of input hardware that is built primarily for gaming. Something that combines the best of both keyboard & mouse, and controller.
For when you're sick of watching quality videos, check out my selection of half-arsed, on-the-s**t-side videos on YouTube: GameCheeseHD
JD_Method 58

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 27 Feb 2013, 19:16

You gotta be kidding right?

As for the Dualshock 4 I am probably the only one who think it is a bloody lazy design, but the proof shall be in how it plays.

@ JD I can and will deny your logic, last time I played with a mouse and keyboard I found it horrendous, give me a pad, sofa, headset and a can of pop anytime :D :wink:
KK-Headcharge78 61

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby Reegeee » 27 Feb 2013, 19:44

JD Method is right though. The mouse is brilliant but the Keyboard is awful. Simple as that, and that's why I prefer a controller too. I remember that thing you could get for PC and PS3 that was a Wii Style nunchuck on one side and a mouse on the other. I think it was called the splitfish or something. Was meant to be a bit s**t though.

Yeh here it is.

Future wants to close CVG. Lets try and stop that with this petition Change.org
Reegeee 72

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby roland82 » 27 Feb 2013, 20:28

Growing up on mouse and keyboard for FPS, I'd say its definitely better when playing at a desk.

For sitting on the sofa, watching a tv screen not so great though. With everybody on pads the disadvantage is cancelled out.
roland82 57

Postby Gameoholic007 » 27 Feb 2013, 21:04

Im just eager to try this controller out, specially with the analog sticks extended. Thats cool though that Guerrilla helped out with the design.
Gameoholic007 54

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Next