to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony exec on PS4 pre-owned games: 'We will do the right thin

Your comments on our articles.

Worldwide Studios VP mindful of both consumer and developer desires

A Sony Computer Entertainment exec has said the platform holder is mindful of both the desires of consumers and game developers in relation to the use - and potential blocking - of pre-owned games on PS4.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony exec on PS4 pre-owned games: 'We will do the right thin

Postby ingy » 26 Feb 2013, 12:02

I think they're waiting to see what Microsoft will do, it's not about doing the right thing, they just don't want to be caught out.

Like many other people on here have said, a small registration fee, say a fiver would be the fairest way to go with second hand sales, but rarely are things that simple.
ingy 64

Re: Sony exec on PS4 pre-owned games: 'We will do the right

Postby benedictm » 26 Feb 2013, 12:28

Second hand games are a consumers choice and important What im worried about is no other games running on PS4 unless they are streamed.

And the chances they will give you access to the games you have already paid for before free? 0%

Even its only a few quid its f**king buying something you already own with no change or improvement. Wrong
benedictm 40

Postby cult » 26 Feb 2013, 12:30

Twelve inch blu-ray and online passes, I keep telling them this.
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 63

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Postby apalmer28 » 26 Feb 2013, 12:37

A lot of people recycle their games to be able to buy the latest ones, so if you take that away then sales in general will fall.

EG GAME are letting you swap 2 games to get Tomb Raider for 99p, sure sounds a lot better to me to move the completed games on my shelf to get a new one cheapo. I can't afford £30 - £40 every few weeks, but by rotating my collection I can get to play the ones i want, and the marketing team gets to boast about sales figures.
apalmer28 57

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby ingy » 26 Feb 2013, 12:47

apalmer28 wrote:A lot of people recycle their games to be able to buy the latest ones, so if you take that away then sales in general will fall.

EG GAME are letting you swap 2 games to get Tomb Raider for 99p, sure sounds a lot better to me to move the completed games on my shelf to get a new one cheapo. I can't afford £30 - £40 every few weeks, but by rotating my collection I can get to play the ones i want, and the marketing team gets to boast about sales figures.

You're getting to play games on the cheap at the expense of the very people who make the games you enjoy.

You love this hobby but you don't care about the good of the industry......selfish much.
ingy 64

Postby bluepatch » 26 Feb 2013, 12:50

why cant the sale of a second hand game produce a royalty payment to these companies.
ebay and any advertiser could pay a fee for being able to sell media
the software houses are to blame as im sure they could use dlc better, make an old game cheaper to down load ect.
bluepatch 25

Postby sakaspuds » 26 Feb 2013, 12:55

if they keep the prices reasonable, ie, disc games being £40 and digital download games £30 no ones going to want to buy the games on disc, and it wont be an issue, couple that with sales from time to time, like steam do, 'this weekend this game is half price £15' they will not have to worry about used game sales at all
sakaspuds 42

Postby JedJez » 26 Feb 2013, 12:58

sakaspuds wrote:if they keep the prices reasonable, ie, disc games being £40 and digital download games £30 no ones going to want to buy the games on disc, and it wont be an issue, couple that with sales from time to time, like steam do, 'this weekend this game is half price £15' they will not have to worry about used game sales at all

Bang on
JedJez 28
New user

Postby moogiesboy » 26 Feb 2013, 13:11

Classic big business double speak answer "we'll do the right thing". Right thing for whom though?
Blocking online features in a game is borderline ok, but blocking sp features is outright anti consumerism. I stayed with and supported Sony through the piracy and PSN outage dark days of ps3, but if they start against the consumer I hope the pirates return and tear the PS4 in half.
moogiesboy 51

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby TheMid » 26 Feb 2013, 13:29

benedictm wrote:Second hand games are a consumers choice and important What im worried about is no other games running on PS4 unless they are streamed.

And the chances they will give you access to the games you have already paid for before free? 0%

Even its only a few quid its f**king buying something you already own with no change or improvement. Wrong

Eh?
TheMid 38

Xbox Live: TheMiDxx
PSN ID: The-MiDxx

Postby dookiephonic » 26 Feb 2013, 13:55

highlanderjim wrote:funny how sony are so desperate to fight the massive piracy on their system when piracy alone was the reason the PS1 did so well, everyone who was good with a f**king solidering iron could do it. Not having a block on pre owned is a good start to keeping theirselves alive, not sure it will be enough this time round tho.

I'm no good with a soldering iron... but a mate of mine certainly was back in the day, Fifa 96 in black and white, and black and white (eg Madworld) is now considered 'stylish' in games, think the creators of cheap knock-offs got there first though :lol: .
dookiephonic 54

Postby Bambis Dad » 26 Feb 2013, 14:02

Who needed a soldering iron when Disc swapping was safer and easier?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby ________________ » 26 Feb 2013, 14:24

"We will do the right thing"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZpIrlcZmXQ
Last edited by ________________ on 26 Feb 2013, 14:28, edited 5 times in total.
________________ 45

Postby SuperCinos » 26 Feb 2013, 14:25

I do not wish to pay a fee every time I rent a game from Lovefilm.

I do not wish to pay a fee every time I take a game to a mates house or they bring one to mine.

So long as PS4 doesn't force me to break either of those two then they can do whatever they like.
SuperCinos 53

Postby richomack360 » 26 Feb 2013, 14:26

ingy wrote:You're getting to play games on the cheap at the expense of the very people who make the games you enjoy.

You love this hobby but you don't care about the good of the industry......selfish much.

Not quite, GAME will still have to get the copy of Tomb Raider at the publishers' price. What they are doing is gambling on the loss of revenue from Tomb Raider, against two used games that might make them forty or so quid

Its clever when you think about it.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Next