Epic Games art director says clones have hurt Gears of War

Your comments on our articles.

Copycats have damaged the franchise

Epic Games art director Chris Perna has said that Gears of War clones have created negative stereotypes for the franchise.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic Games art director says clones have hurt Gears of War

Postby DarkAcreJack » 26 Feb 2013, 04:56

Been searching everywhere for a good list of these so-called clones and all I can come up with is Bulletstorm which they helped make so uh yeah.
Makes games, writes books, Tweets often.
DarkAcreJack 8

Xbox Live: Dark Acre Jack
PSN ID: the_jack1975
Steam: Dark Acre Jack

Re: Epic Games art director says clones have hurt Gears of W

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 26 Feb 2013, 05:17

Not sure exactly what those clones are either. I know that almost every game borrowed GOW's revolutionary 3rd person cover system, but it ends about there as far as I know.
1Nightmare1 52

Postby Audest_Oggust » 26 Feb 2013, 05:35

DarkAcreJack wrote:Been searching everywhere for a good list of these so-called clones and all I can come up with is Bulletstorm which they helped make so uh yeah.

RAGE and Borderlands get mentioned alongwith Gears of War when people complain about the bland color palette.
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 57

Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Postby 360_Fan » 26 Feb 2013, 05:36

Yeah pretty silly comment to make. I think the main thing that has hurt the franchise is releasing a 4th game this gen, when it could have been a system seller for the next xbox. Will probably have another one out by then anyway.
360_Fan 61

Postby diablomaster000 » 26 Feb 2013, 07:49

The clones are quantum theory and warhammer 40k they are talking about.
diablomaster000 55

Postby Gameoholic007 » 26 Feb 2013, 08:13

I think Epic needs to get away from Gears period. Its time for Epic to move on to something else, and start a new series. Gears 3 was suppose to be the last GOW made. Coming out with a 4th Gears is a mistake, specially when its a prequel. When developers start coming out with prequels, all their usually doing is milking the series of all its worth. Kojima is doing the same thing with the Metal Gear series.........well, Metal Gear is a franchise now, my bad. All-in-all, Epic is just doing it to themselves.
Gameoholic007 55

Xbox Live: Demented7000
PSN ID: Demented007

Postby Barry316 » 26 Feb 2013, 08:20

Gears hurt Gears. You can't expect everybody to be happy with repeated games with a paper thin storyline and gameplay that's basically a pretty version of Space Invaders.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby toaplan » 26 Feb 2013, 09:00

Dunno, even as a PS fan, I acknowledge that Gears of War has been a hugely influential game and a landmark title - visually the very first real 'next-gen' title of the X360/PS3/Wii generation. Games clearly influenced by Gears of War and its cover-shooting mechanic include popular games such as the Mass Effect series, Spec Ops the Line, Binary Domain, Resident Evil 6 and Dead Space 3.

I think Cliffy B may be going through the same kind of crisis as certain other genre-defining creators like Miyamoto and John Carmack before him. Many devs just copied the crap out of Mario games (even resulting in lawsuits and bans as in the case of "Giana Sisters") and Doom, so the original creators just had to keep on innovating and pushing the envelope further. Miyamoto and his team have somehow managed to do so even to this day, whereas Id Software arguably lost the genre leadership some time after "Quake".

Looking forward to the return of Cliffy B, equipped with some new ideas, after a well-deserved break.
toaplan 74

Postby EvilGuGuru » 26 Feb 2013, 09:10

Binary Domain. Army of Two(series). Space Marine. Quantum Theory. Special Forces Team X. Dark Sector. Resident Evil 5&6. Kane and Lynch(series) and many more. Some work better than others but some of these are downright terrible games. Epic should be flattered though afterall imitation is supposedely the highest form of flattery. Judgement should definitely have went to the Nextbox.
EvilGuGuru 9
New user

Postby MisterBedo » 26 Feb 2013, 09:21

My mum always told me that copying was the sincerest form of flattery.

Anyway, Gears copied a load of things;
The way the characters hold their guns cleary copies the little soldiers from Command and Conquer.
The way the characters jump over things, Mario anyone?
Chainsaws - my neighbour was using one to cut his trees down way back in the late 90s.
And as for the colour pallete - I suppose Epic will claim they've never seen a pavement....
GT: MrBedo
I gave Brucie the goat at Twickenham.
MisterBedo 64

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 26 Feb 2013, 10:26

@ Audest_Oggust: Rage perhaps, but Borderlands? Never heard anyone comparing it to Gears of War, let alone unfavorably. They have totally different art styles.

@ Gameoholic007: while I completely agree with you about Gears, I think prequels can actually improve on a lot of things and give more creative freedom than another sequel. And citing Metal Gear Solid as an example seems like a rather odd choice, since MGS3 and Peace Walker are arguably two of the best episodes in a series that goes to great lengths for every episode to not just look but play differently than the previous one.
Stan_Goodspeed 62

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Unition » 26 Feb 2013, 11:01

Does anyone know if Judgement has its own horde mode? I know the 4 multiplayer types are Overrun, Domination, TDM and F4A, but there must be more ...

I think Judgement's campaign will be the best one yet, and not as linear and repetitive as the past 3 games. Personally, I play Gears for the multiplayer and it just keeps on getting better! I hope the franchise continues into the next-generation, it's the only reason I own an Xbox :D
Unition 41

Postby shellster2 » 26 Feb 2013, 11:18

The Gears games have been a great highlight for me this gen. Brilliant gameplay, a story which doesn't take itself too seriously, fantastic weapons, great enemies and the wonderful horde mode to play when the campaign is out of the way.

i look forward to playing the next one.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby stevewan » 26 Feb 2013, 11:47

imo EPIC killed Gears after 3 was released. sure it wasnt a bad game, but it wasnt brilliant either. for me it didnt bring anything new to Gears and i wont be getting judgement unless i know im not just playing a better looking version of 1,2 and 3.
If your not with me, then your my enemy!
stevewan 31

Postby Bright-Light » 26 Feb 2013, 11:53

The thing is, if you not want people to copy your ideas, don't make great games.

But there is one thing in gears that has never been matched by any copycat, and that's the level of homo erotic tension in the bro mance between the main 4 characters. Can't believe they never let Marcus and Dom kiss.
Bright-Light 47

Next