to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Retro Vault: PlayStation ads, Pilotwings 64, Mickey Mania

Your comments on our articles.

Plus: concept sketches for Shadow Of The Colossus

Retro Vault is our regular weekly feature in which we dive into gaming's past and share five classic nuggets of retro nostalgia. If you missed last week's Retro Vault you can read it here.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Retro Vault: PlayStation ads, Pilotwings 64, Mickey Mania

Postby toaplan » 23 Feb 2013, 20:46

A new Pilotwings would be a great launch title for a Nintendo next-gen console, which hopefully will be announced in the near future... :wink:

Mickey Mania was okay, especially on the Mega CD. But it wasn't as good as Castle of Illusion and World of Illusion, which were some of the best platform games on the Mega Drive. Capcom's SNES Mickey game was also quite good with some pretty graphics. I think out of those games, Castle of Illusion was the game that made the biggest splash, because it was released before the first Sonic game. Sonic 1 reset the visual standard for platformers, until Donkey Kong Country on the SNES...
toaplan 72

Re: Retro Vault: PlayStation ads, Pilotwings 64, Mickey Mani

Postby Ali_ » 23 Feb 2013, 22:37

God, I miss Pilotwings 64. Just exploring the islands, small as they seem now, was an absolute joy with so many subtle little easter eggs scattered around, especially in Little States. The recent 3DS game was a complete joke. I'd buy a WiiU just to play Pilotwings if they did it properly.

And the best Playstation advert of all was Blown Away which, if I recall correctly, was given away in magazines as a promo VHS tape? I still have the Archive CD used as the soundtrack which I bought due the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjoXhFOjJ9Y
Ali_ 54

Postby solamon77 » 24 Feb 2013, 06:31

I've been watching these articles for a while and as an American, you Brits have some very weird advertisements! I love them! I wish we had more stuff like that on this side of the ocean.
solamon77 43

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby charliecheswick » 24 Feb 2013, 09:55

solamon77 wrote:I've been watching these articles for a while and as an American, you Brits have some very weird advertisements! I love them! I wish we had more stuff like that on this side of the ocean.

Yes,but you've got David Hasselhoff,Paris Hilton,Rip Taylor and an unhealthy fascination with 1 Direction. Do you need any more weird?
charliecheswick 45

Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby richomack360 » 24 Feb 2013, 21:39

You must mention these amazing games from back in t'day:

Eswat, Thunderforce 3 and 4 and Skies of Arcadia

Then do a page or two slamming Waverace 64 and how bad it was :D
Currently playing: Pokemon X - ask for my friend code !

Follow me on Twitter - @richomack360 and XBL: richomack360

Didn't get a WiiU for Xmas - boo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360