to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony seeking widespread studio support for PS4 Vita Remote P

Your comments on our articles.

PS Vita and PlayStation Eye combo could theoretically mimic Wii U GamePad tech

PlayStation wants all first and third-party studio partners to consider PS Vita Remote Play as a standard feature for future PS4 games, a company executive has said.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Padua » 22 Feb 2013, 12:35

I am confused about how remote control play will be implemented on the PS4. Will it be like the Wii U where you have to be in the range of the PS4 that does the streaming or will it use GaiKai tech so you could be anywhere because the games are steamed from a server? Ideally I'd like both options :mrgreen:
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Meldarion1 » 22 Feb 2013, 12:47

To who ever wrote this article

All PS4s will likely ship with the PlayStation 4 Eye - a Kinect-like device that can theoretically allow the PS Vita to behave in a similar manner to the Wii U GamePad.

How can a camera allow the PSVITA to work like he Wii U gampad it is totally unrelated. It the remote play which will allow to stream the game to the PSVita not the camera the PS4 Eye is there to track people and move controller and Dualshock 4 controllers
Meldarion1 1
New user

Re: Sony seeking widespread studio support for PS4 Vita Remo

Postby Shadow-King » 22 Feb 2013, 12:55

Padua wrote:I am confused about how remote control play will be implemented on the PS4. Will it be like the Wii U where you have to be in the range of the PS4 that does the streaming or will it use GaiKai tech so you could be anywhere because the games are steamed from a server? Ideally I'd like both options :mrgreen:

If it works in a similar manner to how remote play works now, you'll be able to play from anywhere you get a wifi signal.
Shadow-King 4
New user

Postby Meldarion1 » 22 Feb 2013, 12:58

Padua wrote:I am confused about how remote control play will be implemented on the PS4. Will it be like the Wii U where you have to be in the range of the PS4 that does the streaming or will it use GaiKai tech so you could be anywhere because the games are steamed from a server? Ideally I'd like both options :mrgreen:

Remote Play is a built in feature on the PS4 that allows the game to be streamed from the PS4 to the PSVita similar to the remote play in the PS3 although hopefully it would be widely supported on the PS4. However remote play can work in two ways both require the PS4 to be on and running. The first way is for the Vita to connect directly to the PS4 (or PS3) via private network. The second way is to connect through the internet via the PSN. In both cases the PS4/PS3 has to be running and all the work is being done on the console.

With Gaikai the story is totally different. Technically you could buy a PS4 game or any other game and then play it on the VITA only if it supports it. Having used Gaikai in the past it (i could run Crysis 2 on Gaikai over the internet browser with WiFi with virtually no lag at all)and seeing that during the conference they mentioned tablets/phone/tv etc. it could mean that Gaikai will be able to stream games to these devices aswell. This is different to remote play because your PS4 would be turned off and the game will be running on the servers at Gaikai only. However don't expect this service to be free cause it take money to build the infrastructure needed to stream games. Similar service such as OnLive requires some $10 monthly subscription for 200+ games. So expect similar prices or something similar with GaiKai on PS4
Meldarion1 1
New user

Postby StonecoldMC » 22 Feb 2013, 13:20

How much is a PS4 + Vita combo going to come in at?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby coruscant » 22 Feb 2013, 13:35

In the meantime, how about patching all first-party PS3 games to enable Remote Play? It shouldn't be this difficult, really.
coruscant 34

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 22 Feb 2013, 14:39

StonecoldMC wrote:How much is a PS4 + Vita combo going to come in at?

If they want it on every game sony should make it a standard requirement and create tools to make it an absolute piece of p**s to impliment.

Otherwise most devs wont waste the time and effort for a feature that a large part of the install base probably wont bother with.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Padua » 22 Feb 2013, 15:23

If the PS4 is going to cost £300 in the UK I'd be happy paying £400 for a PS4/Vita combo.
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby stealth » 22 Feb 2013, 17:38

"PS Vita and PlayStation Eye combo could theoretically mimic Wii U GamePad tech"

no it really cant because streaming isnt as responsive
stealth 47

Postby nuggit3000 » 22 Feb 2013, 18:47

It will work just like the PS3/vita
The only difference is that the PS3 does not have much power to encode and compress a video file, whilst running a high end game, which is why it only works on smaller games.
The PS4 has a portion of its power permanently rendering a video feed, which your Vita smart phone or friends PS4 can display.
It will work better if you are in the room and connected directly to the PS4, but should also work anywhere in your home network for a slightly laggy game, and then over the internet too, which will likely be quite laggy.

In effect the PS4 will be the Gaikai server for remote play.

I dont understand why the developers have to write it into the game though, maybe it is just to accept a slightly different input method (2 L/R buttons instead of 6 - and extra touch input), which cant mean much extra work for a dev, so why would they chose not to do it.

The actual Gaikai server is something different, this is used for streaming games to the PS4, such as classics, or demos in the PS store.
Xbox live gamer tag: The Slythe
PC gaming tag: Slythe
PS3 tag: TheSlythe
nuggit3000 60

Xbox Live: TheSlythe
PSN ID: TheSlythe

Postby nuggit3000 » 22 Feb 2013, 19:28

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:How much is a PS4 + Vita combo going to come in at?

If they want it on every game sony should make it a standard requirement and create tools to make it an absolute piece of p**s to impliment.

Otherwise most devs wont waste the time and effort for a feature that a large part of the install base probably wont bother with.

It wont be difficult to implement, since the PS4 will permanently encoding a video feed to mobile devices already, all the developer needs to do is add the ability to recieve inputs from the vita instead of the dual shock
Xbox live gamer tag: The Slythe
PC gaming tag: Slythe
PS3 tag: TheSlythe
nuggit3000 60

Xbox Live: TheSlythe
PSN ID: TheSlythe