PS4 'will not demand always-online connection'

Your comments on our articles.

Yoshida: "Social is big for us, but if you don't want to connect, you can do that"

PlayStation 4 owners will be able to play the system offline, a Sony executive has confirmed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Drusus » 21 Feb 2013, 12:34

Pre Ordered mine this morning, this machine is a beast. Sony really seem like they're back in the PS2 frame of mind, really focused. It's a very exciting time to be a gamer.
Drusus 59

Postby WHITEyy118 » 21 Feb 2013, 12:41

"Yes you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

I wouldn't say it's being anti social. If I want to chat to friends I'd do it over FB or even better, in person, I certainly don't want to be bombarded while playing. Rage messages from pubescent kinds is already too much.
WHITEyy118 39

Re: PS4 'will not demand always-online connection'

Postby Bambis Dad » 21 Feb 2013, 12:45

In the news today they were talking about enforced black outs for the industrial sector and possible rolling black outs for tenancies. Just putting that out there.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby TheLastDodo » 21 Feb 2013, 12:49

PS4 plays physical media, won't block used games and won't require always online connection.

Now I have no reason to boycott it :(
TheLastDodo 77

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 21 Feb 2013, 12:57

They are listening and learning.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby Bambis Dad » 21 Feb 2013, 12:57

TheLastDodo wrote:PS4 plays physical media, won't block used games and won't require always online connection.

It is so last gen, bwahahahahahahaha....
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby richomack360 » 21 Feb 2013, 12:57

TheLastDodo wrote:PS4 plays physical media, won't block used games and won't require always online connection.

Yes you do, its endorsed by Chris Akabusi and Bobby Davro. No-one likes them.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 21 Feb 2013, 13:00

Sounds like they are listening and learning!!! Yey

I have had one bad thought though.

What if I'm dancing with my new puppet Media Molecule style and the Eye is capturing me and everyone online sees me dancing like a fairy??? I once got caught out learning soldier boy with similar consequences!
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby bitfreak » 21 Feb 2013, 13:10

He might have worded it a bit harshly but I really appreciate the ability to keep my anonymity while playing games online if I want too, Sony are doing the right thing by consumers by expanding their feature set in regards to their popular online services instead of completely remodeling them or taking them away. Whatever happens this will be a fantastic generation for us as gamers, can't wait to have all three under my T.V come this time next year :D
bitfreak 10

Postby John Reid » 21 Feb 2013, 13:21

WHITEyy118 wrote:"Yes you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that."

I wouldn't say it's being anti social. If I want to chat to friends I'd do it over FB or even better, in person, I certainly don't want to be bombarded while playing. Rage messages from pubescent kinds is already too much.

Thing is I don't think he means it in a mean way, just joking around because that's his manner in interviews and as the Eurogamer interview said, if he ever seems rude or abrupt its simply because you're reading the text and we tend to read interviews quite cynically.

Still, the focus on what the developers want is pretty much the best thing Sony could have done for gamers, and giving them a powerful system to work with is great. Say what you will about Epic but when they say the PS4 is like a developer's dream now and they can't wait to work on it, Sony have definitely gone in the right direction.
John Reid 28

Postby only_777 » 21 Feb 2013, 13:23

Every move so far on the PS4 has been perfect.

Can play offline
Can play used games
Well designed hardware
Interesting games shown that appeal to the core
Great use of streaming tech

MS are going to have to pull out something that is no less than mind blowing to compete
The famous Dodgy Kebaab Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/dodgykebaab
only_777 62

Postby WHITEyy118 » 21 Feb 2013, 13:29

only_777 wrote:Every move so far on the PS4 has been perfect.

Can play offline
Can play used games
Well designed hardware

MS are going to have to pull out something that is no less than mind blowing to compete

Woah, calm down son.

I'm not disagreeing or anything but your post will just attract fanboys. I'm sure all the MS fanboys and PC nuts will have something to say.
WHITEyy118 39

Postby sonic_uk » 21 Feb 2013, 13:30

Yes you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social!

I prefer to socialize with my friends in real life than a bunch of immature 15 year old morons on the internet. How does that make me antisocial? I am glad you don't have to partake in that social crap obviously. I was a bit underwhelmed last night to be honest from what I saw. Most of it was talking up "social", "sharing" and "cloud" "features" I have no interest in whatsoever, and I didn't see a single game that couldn't be done on the existing consoles or looked any more impressive than what we have now. That driving game for example looked interesting and would be revolutionary had it not been for the fact that Tdu did exactly the same thing 6 years ago. There wasn't even any mention of what media the machine will accept or indeed a picture of it - I was waiting throughout the whole conference for a single picture or some information on the actual machine itself and it didn't, er, arrive(!). I'm also concerned about the controller, not the controller itself (although I would still rather have the start and select buttons back than that stupid touch pad - still I should be grateful its not a screen I suppose), rather the Kinect style camera bar thing. Do you have to use that all the time in conjunction with the controller? Is semi-motion control going to be forced into every game? The only thing that did impress me was an engine demo from one of the developers that looked like a Dark Souls/Dragons Dogma style game which looked like Cgi but was running in real time. I admit that was impressive and is exactly the kind of thing I want from a next gen machine.

I'm still interested in the Ps4 despite the above, but I would like to see more of the games side of things and see what the machine is truly cable of.
Last edited by sonic_uk on 21 Feb 2013, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby FixBeatGames » 21 Feb 2013, 13:31

only_777 wrote:Every move so far on the PS4 has been perfect.

Can play offline
Can play used games
Well designed hardware

what d'ya mean, they already have, kinect 2 can track 6 PEOPLE. (if your front room is the size of a football pitch) :lol:

microsoft will just do exactly what sony have, maybe make the system slightly faster. they'll rely on COD maps a month early to make their sales like this gen.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby Nimron Tang » 21 Feb 2013, 13:34

This is fantastic news for us "anti-social gamers". For me it's not a matter of being social or anti-social, it's a matter of choice. If I want to play my console without connecting it to the internet, I should have that choice. The moment a company attempts to restrict my choice, is the moment I refuse to support that company.

I am now officially looking forward to the release of the PS4. The Infamous trailer looked very promising, and I can't finish without mentioning how spectacular Watch Dogs looks, anyone know if you can drive vehicles in Watch Dogs?
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Next