to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PS4 will not block pre-owned, Sony exec confirms

Your comments on our articles.

PlayStation 4 hardware will read and play second-hand games, says Yoshida

PlayStation 4 will not feature technologies that make pre-owned games unplayable on the system, according to a senior executive at PlayStation.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 21 Feb 2013, 10:49

Great, puts all this debate to rest. If Sony doesn't enforce it, MS surely won't either.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby fatgangsta » 21 Feb 2013, 10:51

If that's the case then that's at least a half way solution the second hand gaming from the Developers point of view and in my view it's alot better than what it could of been so thank god for that
fatgangsta 39

Re: PS4 will not block pre-owned, Sony exec confirms

Postby TykerD3 » 21 Feb 2013, 10:53

Lets Hope MS don't either. What about Backwards compatible?
Xbox Live Tag: Knifey McStab
Blowing Goats since 1978
TykerD3 54

Xbox Live: SteampunkZomb1e

Postby rhyfel » 21 Feb 2013, 11:01

i own a 360 and a ps3 but i have decided to buy only one next gen console and its going to be sony's new machine that sits under my telly, i can't be arsed with microsofts bullshit any more, and going by the ps4s specs microsoft will have to pull a blinder to beat sony's effort and does anybody really want kinect 2.0? i know i don't.
rhyfel 37

Postby richomack360 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:21

rhyfel wrote:i own a 360 and a ps3 but i have decided to buy only one next gen console and its going to be sony's new machine that sits under my telly, i can't be arsed with microsofts bullshit any more, and going by the ps4s specs microsoft will have to pull a blinder to beat sony's effort and does anybody really want kinect 2.0? i know i don't.

Same, but i will decide what I have depending on what MS say - and crucially if their machine forces me to use some crap camera attachment
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Bambis Dad » 21 Feb 2013, 11:26

Like Richo I think we all need to wait and see what MS will present. If it is Kinect centric then I'll give it a miss, but if it comes with a Pukka Pie then I'm in.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby superfruit » 21 Feb 2013, 11:28

No doubt this is something Sony could change it's mind on at any point with a future firmware update, but for the moment I'm tentatively buying this over the Xbox if they enforce a pre-owned ban.
superfruit 48

Postby StonecoldMC » 21 Feb 2013, 11:36

If Sony don't go with a block on pre owned games then it would be commercial suicide for MS to do it.

Good news me thinks?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Bambis Dad » 21 Feb 2013, 11:40

StonecoldMC wrote:If Sony don't go with a block on pre owned games then it would be commercial suicide for MS to do it.

Good news me thinks?

There is the argument that the devs will support whichever company implements this. If I was at Sony I'd have stayed schtum until MS made their announcement. Sony will suffer a PR disaster if they go back on this.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby RustySpoon80 » 21 Feb 2013, 11:43

TykerD3 wrote:Lets Hope MS don't either. What about Backwards compatible?

No backwards compatibility from the console as they're completely different architectures. Gaikai will provide any form of BC the Sony offer. There's possibilities for all PS 1,2,3 (and going forward 4,5,6) to be on the cloud. I know a lot of people wont like that, but I'll be playing PS4 games. I have a 40mbs fibre line so hopefully will be ok with the streaming.
RustySpoon80 55

Postby biron_w » 21 Feb 2013, 11:49

There's now way publishers would shun a system because it allows people to play used games while the other system doesn't. They'd end up losing far too much money.
Most likely publishers will continue with this Online Pass business. Which i've honestly not got a problem with.
biron_w 37

Postby billysastard » 21 Feb 2013, 11:51

remember when a sony exec said they would continue to support other os on the phat ps3's and then 2 weeks later they removed it or crippled your system?

if they don't mind taking a dump on their 20m early adopters / biggest fans then i'm pretty sure they would have no problem adding such a "feature" at some later point, sony are after all one of the greedy scum who use online passes that already prevent retail buyers from doing exactly what he says (and knows) they want.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby FishyGinger » 21 Feb 2013, 11:54

Bambis Dad wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:If Sony don't go with a block on pre owned games then it would be commercial suicide for MS to do it.

Good news me thinks?

There is the argument that the devs will support whichever company implements this. If I was at Sony I'd have stayed schtum until MS made their announcement. Sony will suffer a PR disaster if they go back on this.

Eggxactly.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby Bambis Dad » 21 Feb 2013, 11:56

biron_w wrote:There's now way publishers would shun a system because it allows people to play used games while the other system doesn't. They'd end up losing far too much money.
Most likely publishers will continue with this Online Pass business. Which i've honestly not got a problem with.

I agree but when this was discussed a few months ago here the suggestion was brought up. I see no problem with an online pass, even if only to keep the devs happy. When I buy an older game I'll look at how much I can get it for second hand with an online pass versus first hand prices.

The thing to remember was the PS1, PS2 and PS3 all promised what they failed to deliver, in the case of the PS3 removed some of the features they did deliver. Anyone trusting the word of a Sony exec probably has short term memory, what's that word....

Bambis Dad 52

Postby only_777 » 21 Feb 2013, 13:17

Your move MS....
only_777 61

Next