to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: Sony reinvents itself to sell a dream - slightly mu

Your comments on our articles.

Sony answered its critics in New York, writes Dan Dawkins...

Sony's task was simple - to sell a dream. To sell a dream of what consoles could be. To reassert consoles relevance in troubled times for AAA games, high street retail and originality; responding to a world of tablets, smart phones, social media and connectivity.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: Sony reinvents itself to sell a dream - slightly mu

Postby Dalaeck » 21 Feb 2013, 06:54

I'm a Sony critic and I have to say I don't see any reinvention. For all the buzz floating around this event, and actually bothering to watch the videos of it, there's nothing new. This device looks, plays and is otherwise exactly like a PS3.
I see no quantum leaps in gameplay, I see a few extra polygons that we've had on PC for 4+ years and the now tired open world and FPS that so characterized the PS3. You say it's slightly muddled, I see the same dream crystal clear, and even the same path.
I wonder if they've even realized that they got their ass handed to them by pricing the PS3 way too high and ignoring gameplay. They very clearly don't understand gameplay, I'm not convinced they understand pricing either.
The only game I'm even marginally interested in is the puzzle game, but that will not sell the system to me. I curious now to see if MS is less or perhaps more clueless.

Before the trolls and fanboi jump all over me realize this you clods: you were the guaranteed market slice, from the get go. There's nothing new here for *the rest of us*. I don't even suddenly see an XBOX fanboi jumping ship either.
Dalaeck 42

Re: Opinion: Sony reinvents itself to sell a dream - slightl

Postby toaplan » 21 Feb 2013, 07:53

I'd give the presentation a 9/10. Amazing next-gen graphics galore, neat new controller, Gaikai integration, Vita remote play... and most importantly a focus on a wide and promising lineup of games.

Killzone (which looks stunning), the Witness, Destiny (awesome), Capcom's new game, FF on Luminous engine, new Infamous, Watch Dogs ..they are all games that I'd like to have and may end up buying - while in contrast I've been quite reluctant to spend money on current-gen games, knowing that the next gen is around the corner.

Most of all I want Drive Club. The demo was short, but I loved everything about it: the shiny car models, the realistic interiors, the beautiful sunset lighting and naturalistic scenery, the smoothness of it all and the social aspects. Hopefully they'll spare no effort to get the sound of an expensive supercar engine purring as realistic as possible...

To get a perfect 10, they should have given a glimpse of the next GT or Uncharted, or a possible next-gen edition of GTA V or MGS Ground Zeroes. 4K talk was also absent, but don't count it out yet. Nobody has a 4K TV yet, so it was probably too early for it at this point, but 4K may be on the agenda later. At least for movie playback and possibly for some types of less resource-intensive experimental games.
toaplan 73

Postby buffig » 21 Feb 2013, 08:26

I didn't expect to see anywhere approaching what Sony showed. I thought we'd see a console, a pad, a launch target and a couple of vague trailers. What I saw I couldn't believe. Media molecules modeller was breathtaking. If a £300 box is able to output the visuals seen in that killzone demo, then im sold. There's no way I expected that level of performance. I know its your job to go through this presentation and and highlight any shortcomings as well as positives, but from what I expected going in, these seem churlish. If Sony is selling a dream, then please Sony, take my money NOW!
buffig 61

Postby gothchild » 21 Feb 2013, 08:57

The fact that people were impressed by this just makes me thinking they've forgotten what a jump in generation used to be. The advances on the PS3 look only incremental, and nothing else is being done that inspires any particular excitement.
Everyone sucks, just don't tell them
gothchild 55

Postby Acesbomb » 21 Feb 2013, 09:14

buffig wrote:I didn't expect to see anywhere approaching what Sony showed. I thought we'd see a console, a pad, a launch target and a couple of vague trailers. What I saw I couldn't believe. Media molecules modeller was breathtaking. If a £300 box is able to output the visuals seen in that killzone demo, then im sold. There's no way I expected that level of performance. I know its your job to go through this presentation and and highlight any shortcomings as well as positives, but from what I expected going in, these seem churlish. If Sony is selling a dream, then please Sony, take my money NOW!

This, was a 360 owner last gen, PC only now. PS4 is day 1 buy for me.
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 49

Postby pp82 » 21 Feb 2013, 09:34

They said in the conference they were going to show three games from three indie devs and then they showed the ever arrogant Jonathan Blow and then Quantic dreams and Media Molecule.
Since when were the previous two classed as small inde devs.
pp82 40

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 21 Feb 2013, 09:41

Guy at the top ????? What ????

That was one of their strongest ever shows!

They did well to introduce new engines with QDs bringing the best shaders and skin textures ever on any platform. Unreal 4 tech demo, controllable in real time.

New share mode that has not been done this "EASILY" on any platform.

Some really creative use of Move, especially methods of control from MM (focus on his move controller next to the man he's controlling it moves with no delay, synchronously.

Excellent Vita support, shown live in remote play.

8 gb ram. (Not sure if they meant 8gb of DDR5, if they did this is amazing as the best graphics card out at the mo GTX 690 has 4gb DDR5, the card is about £700).

The list goes on!! Can't wait to see some 1080p trailers, hopefully they are available to download on PS3.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby Skullet » 21 Feb 2013, 09:51

MRHONGKONGDAVE wrote:Guy at the top ????? What ????

That was one of their strongest ever shows!

They did well to introduce new engines with QDs bringing the best shaders and skin textures ever on any platform. Unreal 4 tech demo, controllable in real time.

New share mode that has not been done this "EASILY" on any platform.

Some really creative use of Move, especially methods of control from MM (focus on his move controller next to the man he's controlling it moves with no delay, synchronously.

Excellent Vita support, shown live in remote play.

8 gb ram. (Not sure if they meant 8gb of DDR5, if they did this is amazing as the best graphics card out at the mo GTX 690 has 4gb DDR5, the card is about £700).

The list goes on!! Can't wait to see some 1080p trailers, hopefully they are available to download on PS3.

The GDDR 5 on the GTX 690 is solely for graphics while the 8GB on PS4 looks to be system RAM, also that £700 price tag isn't because it has 4GB of RAM it's because it has two GPU's on the same card.

Still impressive to see GDDR5 used as the main system memory though, and for what its worth I thought it was a pretty good show overall with enough to wet the appetite and enough left unsaid to make the next few months quite interesting. Roll on the next gen.
Skullet 59

Postby mus42 » 21 Feb 2013, 09:57

I thought it was an awful presentation, how anyone can rate that 9/10 is beyond me?
It was all smoke, mirrors, shadows and dreams - Sony firmly stepped into the realm of a Peter Molyneux presentation.
The only highlights were Killzone and the Capcom demo.
Not showing the hardware itself? WTF?
Showing engine demos and non-exclusives? WTF?

The presentation felt like a rushed, knee jerk, pre-emptive strike against Microsoft.
Very Poor.
mus42 31

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 21 Feb 2013, 10:01

No details about pre owned games, maybe they will both reveal this at E3 together.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 38

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby hodgm » 21 Feb 2013, 10:11

I agree with Dalaeck and Gothchild, nothing really to excite me, no real leaps! Think SNES - PS1

I like graphics, but I can't justify a new console for that alone.

OK Vita remote play, I have a Wii U and don't use remote play at all, I own 3 TV's and there is only 2 of us.

Community game play, I want to escape the world when I play and don't want interaction with others, I have that all day at work and with my friends I can touch. I don't want someone I don't know cluttering up my screen telling my I'm doing it wrong and have few real life friends that are gamers and to be honest they will come round if I want to game with them.

I know some people will love the features but for me...mleh......

I just want gameplay! A game I can't put down and graphics are a factor...but not the key factor in that!
hodgm 18

Postby bojangles » 21 Feb 2013, 10:16

gothchild wrote:The fact that people were impressed by this just makes me thinking they've forgotten what a jump in generation used to be. The advances on the PS3 look only incremental, and nothing else is being done that inspires any particular excitement.

This, in spades.

We are now suffering the law of diminishing returns. To match previous leaps we'd have to see the kind of graphics associated with films. For example the newer Star Wars films were taking 92 hours a frame in massive render farms, and that was before all the passes were comp'ed and graded offline. Unless we could all afford to sit in refrigerated warehouses stuffed full of blade servers the days of creaming over the next-gen have died.

Or something less depressing.

I've just had a croissant. That was nice.
bojangles 33

Postby StonecoldMC » 21 Feb 2013, 10:18

I thought it was good, but not great. I think I really need to watch it on a bigger screen though, on my tablet I really didn't get blown away by anything shown and I thought the Luminous tech demo looked the best but what was that, cutscenes from a demo I saw nearly a year ago?

I suppose Sony now have more questions than answers which was probably what they wanted to achieve in the build up to E3, where they will show all of the real big hitters; Naughty Dog, Polyphony, MGS etc.

Were going to have a really interesting 3 months ahead of us now and I wonder if MS will keep everything for E3 or have some sort of show like Sony's from last night.

Either way, its exciting times ahead for us. Strap yourself in, its gonna be one Hell of a ride!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby EvilWaterman » 21 Feb 2013, 10:28

I. CAN'T.WAIT.

That is all.
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby EvilWaterman » 21 Feb 2013, 10:31

StonecoldMC wrote:I thought it was good, but not great. I think I really need to watch it on a bigger screen though, on my tablet I really didn't get blown away by anything shown and I thought the Luminous tech demo looked the best but what was that, cutscenes from a demo I saw nearly a year ago?

I suppose Sony now have more questions than answers which was probably what they wanted to achieve in the build up to E3, where they will show all of the real big hitters; Naughty Dog, Polyphony, MGS etc.

Were going to have a really interesting 3 months ahead of us now and I wonder if MS will keep everything for E3 or have some sort of show like Sony's from last night.

Either way, its exciting times ahead for us. Strap yourself in, its gonna be one Hell of a ride!

I think now that the PS4 is official, we will start to see the other big players on software showcasing what they have planned for it.

I was so hoping BF4 would be shown last night but instead they had flippin Activision! :roll:
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Next