PlayStation 4 is official, Sony's 'most powerful platform ev

Your comments on our articles.

New DualShock controller and cloud gaming plans also revealed

Sony has officially announced PlayStation 4, which will be available "holiday 2013".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PlayStation 4 is official, Sony's 'most powerful platform ev

Postby toaplan » 21 Feb 2013, 01:59

I'm happy that they aren't skimping on the RAM, but instead have decided to wisely include a plentiful 8GB. A few "tech experts" here loudly insisted it wouldn't happen and were very critical of those who thought it would be a good idea...
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=144097&hilit=ram+next+gen&start=45
toaplan 75

Re: PlayStation 4 is official, Sony's 'most powerful platfor

Postby ashadian » 21 Feb 2013, 02:07

Brilliant! So excited! The Media Molecule stuff was amazing. What a talented developer they are!
Don't underestimate the power of PS!
ashadian 60

Postby Agent75 » 21 Feb 2013, 02:09

An average show if you ask me. Looked and felt like a rushjob event. And even diehard PlayStation b**crack lickers will admit that the controller looks terrible and shockingly, no console show. p**s poor. The Xbox 720 show will be a lot better.
Agent75 49

Postby Queen Skillage » 21 Feb 2013, 02:13

Agent75 wrote:An average show if you ask me. Looked and felt like a rushjob event. And even diehard PlayStation b**crack lickers will admit that the controller looks terrible and shockingly, no console show. p**s poor. The Xbox 720 show will be a lot better.

Queen Skillage 64
Global Moderator

Postby Simon Carlin » 21 Feb 2013, 02:18

Actually very good.

Games focused, a drive to deliver; developer friendly and a strong line up of names - sadly they all kind of droned on but that's to be expected.

The Bungie family being paraded about made me laugh, they all looked super awkward.

I did chuckle when I thought of Nintendo. Not going to lie, the Wii U looks like an utter shitbox in comparison - sorry Ninty fans but holding out for iterations of the same IPs worth buying a Wii U for? 3rd party support is going to be meagre at best, especially when MS return fire with their (apparent) monster.

Looking forward to them becoming a software developer now looks more likely. Shareholders are not going to be pleased about this one, watching the press is going to be interesting.

But I digress...

Highlight for me was the live sculpting. A nice fresh idea, no family crap or gimmicks, the idea was allowed to simply state itself and it was all the better for it.

Colour me excited - it seems the total clusterfuck of development and release of the PS3 had given Sony the drive to deliver this time - they want the market back and frankly they're going the right way about it.

Now... if MS have made some stupid social brick in an attempt to out Wii the Wii then Sony might have this gen in the bag.

Enjoyable. I give it 8 chainsaws out of 10.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby Simon Carlin » 21 Feb 2013, 02:19

Agent75 wrote:An average show if you ask me. Looked and felt like a rushjob event. And even diehard PlayStation b**crack lickers will admit that the controller looks terrible and shockingly, no console show. p**s poor. The Xbox 720 show will be a lot better.

I doubt many people would ask you.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby JPTiger » 21 Feb 2013, 02:22

Look out. We have a tough guy here...

But in all honesty, if you have seen that showing, and are not impressed, either you are a fanboy, or you do not grasp the technical, creative or even imaginative availabilities that the PS4 has to offer, just from that 2 hour showing.

And yes, I own a 360, and yes, I hated the controller when I first saw it. But kinect 2, the ability to project games onto the wall around your tv and possibly the "functionality" to block used games, with the added "always-connected" requirement? I'd rather not.
JPTiger 46

Postby alan666 » 21 Feb 2013, 02:24

Nintendo WiiU is finished !

The only thing than can save them is a very high price, but Microsoft have yet to announce the X720 or whatever its called.

Nintendo simply do not have the third party support, they will show stuff at E3 but the Sony & Microsoft steamroller will crush anything they show, any games for the WiiU that can be ported will be & they will look & play better on the PS4/X720, why hasn't the WiiU got a game like Killzone or DriverClub ? putting up ZombiU & Mario Kart 8 against those games is like being two generations behind.

I have supported Nintendo for years, but i admit i was wrong this time, Nintendo have made a huge mistake, if i hadn't already got a WiiU i really doubt i would buy one now seeing what the PS4 is offering let alone what Microsoft will offer, there is going to be constant chatter about the PS4/X720 until release, i cannot see how the WiiU can get a mention.

I have brought the wrong console :(
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 21 Feb 2013, 02:25

You stayed up all night to fanrage! Did not look rushed! I can't wait to see what Microsoft bring either but that's because I will get both.

I think it's great that Sony have learned a lot of lessons and have moved things forward. I'm not really bothered what the console looks like as it sits in my cabinet, not on the mantle piece like some shiny trophy!

So much left out, still a lot of excitement around the corner.

p.s. A little disappointed that EA didn't have a show-n-tell on BF4 but hey ho.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby Padua » 21 Feb 2013, 02:29

I agree - it did feel like a rush job. I thought the controller was cool. Funniest thing is - I totally forgot I was waiting to see what the Console looked like and the pricing details :lol: Jedi Mindtricks?! :|

I doubt the next XBox will be a lot better because price will be more important than power.
Both are still going to be lacking compared to a decent PC. I get the feeling the PS4 won't be out until next year now.
MIcrosoft might just beat them to market too...

It was enjoyable but I wouldn't say I was blown away either.
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby metallicorphan » 21 Feb 2013, 02:31

Sorry but i thought it was pretty disappointing as well

I am guessing they only showed the controller because the pics leaked

Watch Dogs looks great,but it did last year when it was revealed....Destiny looks good,but it did last week when it was revealed

Everything else looks decent enough i guess but nothing right now that makes me say i gotta have it...hopefully the E3 presentation will make me say it

not sure about Diablo III,although it got decent reviews,PC players comments on the game are far from good,but that may be down to server problems and such,so should be cool on the PS4,i hope

with it being a Holiday 2013 release,i am guessing it will be E3 when we see the machine,which will probably be the time when we see the new Xbox as well....so....really....tonight was a little wasted wasn't it,who didn't suspect that the PS4 was on it's way anyway,with or without an announcement tonight?
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby sbradley88 » 21 Feb 2013, 02:32

I love how Daz seems to think he knows more than industry recognised console engineers and developers.
sbradley88 59

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby Padua » 21 Feb 2013, 02:35

Paradaz - UK wrote:As for Gaikai.....same problem as OnLive. Great theory, great potential and I wish it was possible. And it will be one day, but all it serves to do at the moment is put pressure on BT in the UK to roll out their upgraded infrastructure faster than they physically want to and/or capable of.

Thing is time is on the side of this streaming technology. It might not be ripe yet but it will come and not just because of gaming. I liked the integration with UStream and how you could watch the gameplay video of Killzone on Facebook. Nice touch.
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby Cogglesz » 21 Feb 2013, 02:42

This blew me away, the whole show to be honest, there wasn't one game that i'd not purchase and i don't think i can say that about any previous reveals, if i'm being honest being mainly a pc gamer for 3 odd years now i've seen and played some great games with some amazing visuals compared to what we've had on consoles for the past 7 odd years and to be fair i wasn't expecting the PS4 to look nearly as good as this, especially that game from capcom, thats totally surprised me, just looking at the effects used and all the detail makes me think my computer would struggle with that and it can run bf3 on ultra with no problems at a great consistant frame rate but this is beyond even that in my opinion, and thats a game from capcom.

I Personally think Microsoft are going to have a real tough time at E3 this year, with all that Kinect stuff they're focusing on i don't think it will nearly be as good, although i prefer the 360 over the PS3 i feel the PS4 is extremely dedicated to gamers and with the 8gb of ram, advanced DX11tech and a high tech processor the possibilities seem pretty endless, however we've not seen what Microsoft have yet so of course i'm keeping an open judgement about it.

before watching this i was pretty confident they'd not get that Unreal 4 Tech demo as good as first shown on pretty much top end pc components but i'm really impressed with what i've seen, especially with all the new features besides the games it seems like a real proper step up, i'm still stunned sony went and fired the gun first, plus gave us a winter holiday release window, i was going to get myself a vita for christmas but hell knows now, i've thrown a good bit of cash into my pc and i love it but this type of stuff is what made me a console gamer in the first place, now its got a great amount of horsepower i hope we can kiss lag spikes and underscaling goodbye, they really seemed to have done well developing it with feedback from alot of the top devs out there, my god what will Elder Scrolls VI look like?

I'm getting that Next gen feeling again and its great, its been far too long since, i was still in high school back then and now i've finished college ages ago and in my mid 20's, i can't wait for the E3 this year and to see what microsoft has planned, that show was 100% top quality, even the Gaikai streaming stuff really impressed me with the way they were going on about it, instant demos and all that stuff, i really can't wait for 2014 to come along and we can really step our toes into it and get settled into a brand new generation, although i'll admit i'm total frustrated that we never got to see the actual console but i'm happy to have seen all those top quality games, watch dogs looks a better game than GTA 5, the devs love it, me who's been pc gaming for 3 years loves it so i think its going to be a very positive time for sony, i don't know how they've pulled it off but todays a great day to be a gamer, the cats out the bag and we've seen what we'll be getting for sure and not just what the devs want, i feel even after playing crysis 3 on the pc that it has nothing on the ps4, its beyond my expectations and if the price point is cheaper than the PS3 was at first i'm going to be pretty surprised, i'd well invest £400 into one as building a pc or upgrading a current one to that level of detail is going to be a similiar price if not more i'd imagine, AMD announced and revealed their 8000 series not long ago which will probably be around the scale of what we'll get in Next Gen consoles for our computers, i think it doesn't matter what console or computer your playing on, its beautiful to get a glimpse into the future as much as we got to tonight, Sony have 100% surprised the s**t out of me and i'm looking forward to seeing what the actual system looks like and how microsoft is going to top this, if they did though it wouldn't surprise me as i wasn't thinking Sony could show something as good as they did tonight, 2+ hours went past but when it finished off i was surprised, it went in so quick for me, i think all of us gamers should be pretty blown away with this, of course someone will say its s**t at one point just because they feel like it (infact i bet someone already has, spoil sports) but this is a huge step forward for gaming and us gamers who f**king Love this form of media and i can't wait to experience the next gen all over again in an better than ever before quality.

I Didn't mean to make this so long but damn i'm Hyped, i thought i loved my videogames before but seeing all that i think i'll be having serious issues with not being able to get off the game by next year, hats off to sony for making a person who's really just prefered the pc's for the past 3 years extremely impressed with their new console.
Last edited by Cogglesz on 21 Feb 2013, 02:45, edited 2 times in total.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 60

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby ianson » 21 Feb 2013, 02:44

Amazing social features.
Epic hardware Stats.
Improved controller.
Cloud features that could be game changing.
Play while you download.
Killzone has colour now.

Wonders beyond imagining.
ianson 48

Next