to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Next-gen Kinect specs reportedly detailed

Your comments on our articles.

Higher resolution, less lag, tracks six players simultaneously

The technical specifications of the next-generation Kinect sensor have reportedly been leaked.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 20 Feb 2013, 16:47

I still think its pointless. No thanks if its mandatory for the nextbox - if its mandatory then that would sway me to Sony (first time in a looooooooooooong time)
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Gambini » 20 Feb 2013, 16:47

Hahaha! This smells like a controlled leak to me, especially given the timing of it... ;)
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 52

Postby Black Mantis » 20 Feb 2013, 16:50

Sounds good, just need to see it in action.
Black Mantis 67

Re: Next-gen Kinect specs reportedly detailed

Postby ricflair » 20 Feb 2013, 17:00

Does 'less lag' equal 'no noticable lag'? If not, then forget about it. But MS's pride will never allow them to.
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby bitfreak » 20 Feb 2013, 17:01

Gambini wrote:Hahaha! This smells like a controlled leak to me, especially given the timing of it... ;)

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there dude.
bitfreak 10

Postby flyfletch » 20 Feb 2013, 17:03

richomack360 wrote:I still think its pointless. No thanks if its mandatory for the nextbox - if its mandatory then that would sway me to Sony (first time in a looooooooooooong time)

When they say mandatory i doubt that they mean it will be mandatory that you use it or its mandatory that its used in games, though if its a pinpoint accurate as its supposed to be it may be worth using if developers find a way to use it properly.

Im not sold on it but im not anti Kinect by any means, just when its worth it.
flyfletch 70

Postby StonecoldMC » 20 Feb 2013, 17:05

Gambini wrote:Hahaha! This smells like a controlled leak to me, especially given the timing of it... ;)

And what could you possibly mean by that Gambini :wink: ?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby Padua » 20 Feb 2013, 17:07

I don't like the "Better with Kinect" slogan. If better means different then OK but I think it is as dodgy as Virgin Media claiming that buffering is obsolete with their fastest Internet package (my 100Mbit/s plan chokes on YouTube all the time)

I do think Kinect is brilliant - just not for many of the games I love to play. If Microsoft released a different kind of Kinect-enabled controller with buttons and sensory feedback I'd be all over it!
Padua 62

PSN ID: ACD1306

Postby flyfletch » 20 Feb 2013, 17:10

If i was going to leak anything it wouldnt be the Kinect specs, what would that gain?? lol But never know what reasons they have... :wink:
flyfletch 70

Postby Terranova1 » 20 Feb 2013, 17:10

the current kinect can have a hard time tracking just one person at times I have my doubts that the next one would be able to track six that effectively not unless they go hardware based for processing etc which was the original plan for 360 kinect until they found it would be to expensive for consumers to want to purchase one.

Microsoft made a huge song and dance about what this gens kinect could do and yet most of it turned out to be crap so i reserve judgement and have a vat worth of salt to hand before believing them on the next one.
Terranova1 35

Postby save_us_daj » 20 Feb 2013, 17:31

"Microsoft does not comment on rumours and speculation" :P
save_us_daj 31

Postby FixBeatGames » 20 Feb 2013, 17:47

tracks 6 people... why? current kinect "tracks 4" yet only does 1 properly. and the lag at the moment is unbearable, so "less lag" doesn't sound all that promising.

microsoft realized early on that the vast majority of 360 users don't have the space in their front room to even accomodate 4 players properly, so what do microsoft take from that? make it need even more space to play.

this whole thing sounds like a great big DOH to me. everyone i know with kinect... everyone... thinks it's crap.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby a_adji » 20 Feb 2013, 18:01

richomack360 wrote:I still think its pointless. No thanks if its mandatory for the nextbox - if its mandatory then that would sway me to Sony (first time in a looooooooooooong time)

I totally agree and even more so because of a game per system which means we cant trade, lend or borrow games etc.

At the moment having to have gold just to even surf the net when it's free on all devices is bad enough.

They are closing their system and thus closing me out.

Had it not been for Gears of War and great online I would not even be there but the Wii U's online is solid and ps will have the games too.
a_adji 47

Postby a_adji » 20 Feb 2013, 18:03

I am sure this was leaked in timing for the Sony guys announcement.

I am a Nintendo man but last gen I had all the systems but Sony are coming back into my good books withing the gadget realm so lets see what they pull out of the hat.
a_adji 47

Postby fatgangsta » 20 Feb 2013, 19:00

Personally i'd rather have the choice not to be forced to have a pointless piece of kit which the Kinect is as well as the Sony move
fatgangsta 39

Next