to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PS3 'Evolution' video hits PlayStation Meeting site

Your comments on our articles.

Sony continues its look back at hardware launches

Sony has released the third in its series of hardware launch videos via the PlayStation Meeting website, and today its PS3's turn.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PS3 'Evolution' video hits PlayStation Meeting site

Postby Itchy Robot » 18 Feb 2013, 01:47

im glad sony are getting these videos out of the way now so we don't have to see the obligatory Playstation recap montage on the 20th
Itchy Robot 29

Re: PS3 'Evolution' video hits PlayStation Meeting site

Postby BenThomasFoster » 18 Feb 2013, 02:16

talking like the ps3 is a thing of the past. yup it's almost certainly ps4
- I troll without realising it
- Don't listen to a word I say
BenThomasFoster 49

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 18 Feb 2013, 02:47

I've been watching these and for me it's like a recap of decline. I really can't get excited over any of the rumours that have been going all over the place. All rumours have been hinting towards s**t that I don't like such as unnecessary touch screen controllers, multimedia crap and online focus. Unless they've got something worthwhile to back these hype machine videos up, they're going to be looking at millions thinking everything is going to be magically better with new consoles and control methods or millions of people thinking, "Seriously, THIS is what you were hyping up?".
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby KMakawa » 18 Feb 2013, 04:07

Itchy Robot wrote:im glad sony are getting these videos out of the way now so we don't have to see the obligatory Playstation recap montage on the 20th

Dont count on it, they have to build it up on the day somehow..
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 64
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
Battle.net: PMforit@
xFire: iArctic

Postby flyfletch » 18 Feb 2013, 08:10

I honestly thought this would have addressed the mistakes at the start of the PS3 life, not that im worried they didnt, just thought they would have mentioned it and said lessons have been learned or something along those lines! Ill just have to believe they have been learned! And going by how much i love my PS3 now, i think im right! :)

Bring on Wed, i cant wait to see the PS4 :)
Save CVG!
flyfletch 70

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch

Postby Taus » 18 Feb 2013, 09:40

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I've been watching these and for me it's like a recap of decline. I really can't get excited over any of the rumours that have been going all over the place. All rumours have been hinting towards s**t that I don't like such as unnecessary touch screen controllers, multimedia crap and online focus. Unless they've got something worthwhile to back these hype machine videos up, they're going to be looking at millions thinking everything is going to be magically better with new consoles and control methods or millions of people thinking, "Seriously, THIS is what you were hyping up?".

Yeah, that's exactly it, its just going to be an online box that you use to check your facebook page via a touch screen controller, how could it possibly have any other functionality?

I think there's huge excitement over the new PS and XBox console amongst gamers.......I don't think it's going to be millions of people thinking seriously blah, blah, I thinks its just you who isn't excited

Whatever your tipple, whatever your gaming preferences, between the new MS and Sony console & Wii U there will be something for everyone and its all happening, we think, this year, as well as the new Bungie game, Battlefield 4, Bioshock and the new Naughty Dog game. What's not to be hyped up about?

Still there's always the naysayers on the internet
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby flyfletch » 18 Feb 2013, 09:56

Taus wrote:
TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I've been watching these and for me it's like a recap of decline. I really can't get excited over any of the rumours that have been going all over the place. All rumours have been hinting towards s**t that I don't like such as unnecessary touch screen controllers, multimedia crap and online focus. Unless they've got something worthwhile to back these hype machine videos up, they're going to be looking at millions thinking everything is going to be magically better with new consoles and control methods or millions of people thinking, "Seriously, THIS is what you were hyping up?".

Yeah, that's exactly it, its just going to be an online box that you use to check your facebook page via a touch screen controller, how could it possibly have any other functionality?

I think there's huge excitement over the new PS and XBox console amongst gamers.......I don't think it's going to be millions of people thinking seriously blah, blah, I thinks its just you who isn't excited

Whatever your tipple, whatever your gaming preferences, between the new MS and Sony console & Wii U there will be something for everyone and its all happening, we think, this year, as well as the new Bungie game, Battlefield 4, Bioshock and the new Naughty Dog game. What's not to be hyped up about?

I have to say, i couldnt be more excited for the new Xbox and PS4! The last time i was this excited by a console release was back in the days of the Snes and Mega drive! I just cant wait and i believe millions are like me! :)
Save CVG!
flyfletch 70

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch

Postby Taus » 18 Feb 2013, 10:40

flyfletch wrote:
Taus wrote: Yeah, that's exactly it, its just going to be an online box that you use to check your facebook page via a touch screen controller, how could it possibly have any other functionality?

I have to say, i couldnt be more excited for the new Xbox and PS4! The last time i was this excited by a console release was back in the days of the Snes and Mega drive! I just cant wait and i believe millions are like me! :)

Ditto Fletch my boy, like I said, whether you like MS or Sony of Nintendo or neither, you just like crazy good videogames, 2013 is going to be an absolute stormer

I cannot understand people posting negative things on CVG when neither Sony nor MS have previewed their wares. What's to be negative about? If you can't get excited for this year with all its great games and new hardware then you're just one of those tiresome posters who spend their days moaning on the internet about how they don't want anything to change and everything was much better in the old days
Taus 53

Xbox Live: tauzkhn
PSN ID: tauheed

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 18 Feb 2013, 10:45

I watched the newsfeed on the bottom of my TV on a news channel late last week and they did mention a potential Sony reveal for wednesday 20th, so the general audience will definitely be intrigued, at the very least. It wasn't even during the tech or finance segement, but the normal news loop. So far only dedicated websites relay these news daily but once Sony and MS play their cards it's gonna reach millions, and you can bet anticipation for E3 will skyrocket like in 2005 when people went crazy for the 360 and the PS3 regardless of their "casual" or "hardcore" type.

On a side note, I wonder why they didn't play these videos in chronological order, the PSP being saved for later seems like a strange choice.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Lt Fatman » 18 Feb 2013, 11:22

Liking these videos from Sony, I wonder what the next one will be. Maybe the PSP?
Lt Fatman 25

Postby shev » 18 Feb 2013, 12:24

I believe that the PSP and Vita will be included in the same video. That's the only way it can make some chronological sense.
shev 46

Postby Get Over Here » 18 Feb 2013, 14:02

Taus wrote:
I cannot understand people posting negative things on CVG when neither Sony nor MS have previewed their wares. What's to be negative about? If you can't get excited for this year with all its great games and new hardware then you're just one of those tiresome posters who spend their days moaning on the internet about how they don't want anything to change and everything was much better in the old days

I can't either. I mean, how can anyone seriously not be excited for the new generation of consoles?

Even though I am now predominantly a PC gamer, I know that the new generation will lift the level of PC gaming that has been hitherto constrained by the old PS360 tech for the best part of 5-6 years.

As for the PS3 - what a fall from grace that was for Sony. Who would have thought, back in 2003-2004, with the PS2 enjoying a 75% market share, that 9 years later the whole company would be on the brink of collapse?

The stakes are seriously high for them this time.
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 46

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 18 Feb 2013, 14:56

Get Over Here wrote:As for the PS3 - what a fall from grace that was for Sony. Who would have thought, back in 2003-2004, with the PS2 enjoying a 75% market share, that 9 years later the whole company would be on the brink of collapse?

A fall from grace indeed, albeit the last part of your sentence is a bit misleading. Sony's woes have been constantly and outrageously exaggerated on message boards like this one and - quite surprisingly - in more "serious" sites and magazines. Truth is Sony is in a much worse shape than it was 10 years ago, but almost every big corporation was severely impacted by the recession. Its debt is astronomical by Western standards, but most Japanese companies - and the country as a whole - have been plagued by systemic debt for decades, far more than any other developped country (with Nintendo being a notable exception as far as big companies go).

But rarely do we hear of the silver lining: their buyout of Ericsson made their smartphone business relevant again, with their new models aggressive competitors of Samsung and Apple (whose market share many thought would remain undisputed), their TV business is being given a serious makeover to stop the bleeding, their digital imaging branch is healthy, and the much-debated sale of their US HQ last month can be seen as another quick source of profit rather than just an omen of bad things to come. People love to bathe in gloom and doom regarding Sony, but they're not going away anytime soon.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Get Over Here » 18 Feb 2013, 15:27

Stan_Goodspeed wrote:
Get Over Here wrote:As for the PS3 - what a fall from grace that was for Sony. Who would have thought, back in 2003-2004, with the PS2 enjoying a 75% market share, that 9 years later the whole company would be on the brink of collapse?

A fall from grace indeed, albeit the last part of your sentence is a bit misleading. Sony's woes have been constantly and outrageously exaggerated on message boards like this one and - quite surprisingly - in more "serious" sites and magazines. Truth is Sony is in a much worse shape than it was 10 years ago, but almost every big corporation was severely impacted by the recession. Its debt is astronomical by Western standards, but most Japanese companies - and the country as a whole - have been plagued by systemic debt for decades, far more than any other developped country (with Nintendo being a notable exception as far as big companies go).

But rarely do we hear of the silver lining: their buyout of Ericsson made their smartphone business relevant again, with their new models aggressive competitors of Samsung and Apple (whose market share many thought would remain undisputed), their TV business is being given a serious makeover to stop the bleeding, their digital imaging branch is healthy, and the much-debated sale of their US HQ last month can be seen as another quick source of profit rather than just an omen of bad things to come. People love to bathe in gloom and doom regarding Sony, but they're not going away anytime soon.

Well yeah I really hope so.

But it's as much Sony's decline as it is the rise of competitors such as Apple and Samsung. Both were almost an irrelevance at the start of the decade when Sony was a giant.

I do like their new Xperia phones too, about time they had a serious Android smartphone competitor.
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 46

Postby FixBeatGames » 18 Feb 2013, 15:54

well said stan, news sites are the same everywhere no matter the subject, be it bbc news or cvg news. you hear the bad news, usually over a few threads. but you rarely hear the good news stories, and when you do they're quick affairs everyone seems to ignore (going by number of comments on positive stories, apart from bickering fanboys that is).

now we just have to hope that wii u poor sales are due to it basically being a 'this gen' machine 5 years late, rather than showing punters don't want 'next gen' yet. because if it's the latter, we could see a total gaming crash if sony/microsoft has poor sales like nintendo is with wii u.

the signs are worrying imo. mobile gaming has took off massively over the last 2 years, on devices costing £400 plus (which yeah, are a phone too). so when sony releases practically a ps3 that's handheld and mobile, for £200, it should've been snapped up. seems people don't just want mobile gaming, they want free or practically free gaming. i think it's impossible for nintendo, sony or microsoft to crack that market with a mainstream console, unless they make them android compatible.

hopefully my fears will be proved wrong and ps3 will be snapped up...
FixBeatGames 41

Next