to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PS4: A deeper analysis of the controller prototype

Your comments on our articles.

Real details shared by developers with access to development kits

The last time CVG met with its sources to discuss the PS4 pad, our insiders indicated that Sony was determined to experiment with its next controller.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PS4: A deeper analysis of the controller prototype

Postby Gambini » 15 Feb 2013, 18:15

Wow, great write up!

I have to say, I don't like the look of this new controller... it looks like the controller itself is more bulky whilst the analogues and buttons all look smaller :?:

....but, at least this pretty much confirms we're going to be hearing about the PS4 next week!
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 52

Re: PS4: A deeper analysis of the controller prototype

Postby wwinterj » 15 Feb 2013, 18:35

Doesn't look that bad and not a big change from the trademark pad. This is a good thing but I do hate when gimmicks are forced on users. Yes I'm thinking about the Sixaxs when I see that touch pad. The share button is interesting if true. I guess we possibly will find out next week.
wwinterj 49

Postby dwhlufc » 15 Feb 2013, 18:50

The "Share" button is the most interesting idea about the new system for me. If true it will be so good to send & receive goals or replays from friends at the touch of a button!
dwhlufc 75

Postby billysastard » 15 Feb 2013, 19:00

it's important to note that OnLive - shuttered rival of Sony's newly acquired Gaikai - allowed a similar function with its own joypad.

my onlive service doesnt seem very shuttered, maybe a quick fact check before publishing?

and some of the brag clips are really funny.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby only_777 » 15 Feb 2013, 19:09

For me, having the move controller built into the pad says two things.

1) Eyetoy will be packaged with every console.

2) Sony are sticking to controller based gaming and NOT controller free like MS. This is a great thing, plus if the whole 'Kinect forced usage' thing with the Next-box really happens, I think I lot of the core market will go Sony's way.
only_777 61

Postby mij » 15 Feb 2013, 19:18

L2 R2 proper triggers please Sony.....no more slippy badly shaped triggers which one has to put Goteki plasticy bits on to play a game. Then if the action gets too intense...the bloody plasticy add-on trigger decides to slip off......sweet jeebas :D
mij 37

Postby Bambis Dad » 15 Feb 2013, 19:20

only_777 wrote:For me, having the move controller built into the pad says two things.

1) Eyetoy will be packaged with every console.

2) Sony are sticking to controller based gaming and NOT controller free like MS. This is a great thing, plus if the whole 'Kinect forced usage' thing with the Next-box really happens, I think I lot of the core market will go Sony's way.

That is a sodding well observed deduction. Hats off.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby hephaestos » 15 Feb 2013, 19:22

umh.... it'd be dumb to have the lightbulb of the move and only sixaxis motion.... however it'd be smart to have an integrated move controller...
The extra weight of one side of the controller is probably minimal and if the console ships with 2 controllers, it would make motion games accessible to all.
hephaestos 39

Postby charliecheswick » 15 Feb 2013, 19:23

A combination of motion control, touch and traditional analogue buttons promise to make Sony's latest joypad a very special prospect indeed

No way i'm buying that......wait a minute!!
charliecheswick 46

Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby Get Over Here » 15 Feb 2013, 20:33

I wonder if Sony will be able to get to the 20th without something else big leaking.

They are the worst company at keeping stuff tight. Wouldn't be suprised if we get the full game line-up and console design hours before the event or something.
@KazHiraiCEO "Yes they are crunching, Geoff. Crunching like delicious Doritos potato chips"
Get Over Here 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 15 Feb 2013, 21:17

I actually kind of like the ideas behind the design, it needs work though. And i dont knkw about the LED strip. It seems like a good idea but i dont think a dualshock can be used as well for motion control as a wand. I'm trying to imagine it and it's just not a good substitute. I dont think it will feel right for users, maybe there's something i'm missing. I doubt the usefullness of a touch pad there but it cant hurt. Better sixaxis is good. Packaged ps eye is long overdue. I hope Move gets a fair shot. The sticks need to be fixed.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby patiotom » 15 Feb 2013, 21:24

Oh Sony and your persistence on re hashing the same horrid controller over and over, this is the reason i never made it from the PS1 to PS2 as i found it so god dam uncomfortable to use (much like the PSP). Why keep this design its awful, why not move towards and more ergonomic design like the xbox. There is a reason why the Wii U Pro Controller copies the xbox and there is a reason that people like Razor who make pro PC controllers also copy this design!!! Its Better in every way!! :shock:
patiotom 34

Postby patiotom » 15 Feb 2013, 21:25

Oh Sony and your persistence on re hashing the same horrid controller over and over, this is the reason i never made it from the PS1 to PS2 as i found it so god dam uncomfortable to use (much like the PSP). Why keep this design its awful, why not move towards and more ergonomic design like the xbox. There is a reason why the Wii U Pro Controller copies the xbox and there is a reason that people like Razor who make pro PC controllers also copy this design!!! Its Better in every way!! :shock:
patiotom 34

Postby sbradley88 » 15 Feb 2013, 21:55

patiotom wrote:Oh Sony and your persistence on re hashing the same horrid controller over and over, this is the reason i never made it from the PS1 to PS2 as i found it so god dam uncomfortable to use (much like the PSP). Why keep this design its awful, why not move towards and more ergonomic design like the xbox. There is a reason why the Wii U Pro Controller copies the xbox and there is a reason that people like Razor who make pro PC controllers also copy this design!!! Its Better in every way!! :shock:

Or maybe it's cause more people play xbox than ps3. And there's nothing wrong with the ps3 controller aside maybe the triggers. Sick of opinioned comments people hurl as if they're facts. Some people prefer the ps3 controller, get over it. I bet if MS stick with they're 'beloved' design for the third iteration of console, everyone will dry hump it. But Sony do it and apparently it's majorly taboo and boring.

Edit: Please someone inform me as to WHY the 360 controller is 'more ergonomic'. Why is it more ergonomic to have one hand at the bottom of the controller (right stick) and one hand at the top of the controller for the left stick? To me, logic states that the symmetry of the ps3s sticks would be considered ergonomic.
Last edited by sbradley88 on 15 Feb 2013, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.
sbradley88 58

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 15 Feb 2013, 21:56

PS Move with and without the sharpshooter on Killzone 3 was unplayable!!! It was as if your gran was playing! I actually prefer the PS pad over the Xbox as I have silky smooth b itch hands! Will say that when playing and building up a sweat my thumbs slip off the analogue sticks, so am looking forward to the little recesses.

Also purchased snap on triggers for about £1 which are good and some little socks that bulk it out.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Next