to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

UK retailers want Wii U price cut

Your comments on our articles.

Supermarkets call for new marketing push and killer software

A number of independent UK retailers have called for Nintendo to cut the Wii U price in order to help drive sales.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Codename4p » 15 Feb 2013, 12:43

I am pretty sure, the UK prices is decided by the retailer, not the company. EVERY time Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, whoever, they don't set prices here, its the UK retailers that do.

This argument they are saying "we want a price cut!" is entirely their decision, not Nintendo's! Nintendo only set the rest of Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas, that is all. As all reports when the Wii U launched said the £250/£300 were set by UK retailers as well! They could easily reduce the price but I guess its easier for them to blame someone else.
I came here to have me ass kicked and my bubble gum stolen. So I am definitely out of gum.
Codename4p 32

Postby Goona » 15 Feb 2013, 12:48

My local Tesco Extra doesn't even have any Wii U consoles or games on display! This can't be helping the situation
Goona 51

Xbox Live: DrklyDreaminDex
PSN ID: DrklyDreaminDex

Re: UK retailers want Wii U price cut

Postby Gambini » 15 Feb 2013, 12:53

NIntendo dropped the ball big time on the Wii U... if they had just called it the Wii 2, it would have sold gangbusters. Everyone knows what a Wii is, but nobody outside of us "core" gamers understands what a "Wii U" is.

Even a friend of mine who owns a Wii (and a PS3) asked me when the "Wii 2" was coming out... I told him it was already out and is called the "Wii U". He looked totally confused and said "But I thought that was just a new controller?"

Nintendo done f'd up.
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53

Postby david.nolan13 » 15 Feb 2013, 12:54

Codename4p wrote:I am pretty sure, the UK prices is decided by the retailer, not the company. EVERY time Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, whoever, they don't set prices here, its the UK retailers that do.

This argument they are saying "we want a price cut!" is entirely their decision, not Nintendo's! Nintendo only set the rest of Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas, that is all. As all reports when the Wii U launched said the £250/£300 were set by UK retailers as well! They could easily reduce the price but I guess its easier for them to blame someone else.

They still have to buy them in to sell and if wholesale price is high they cant set their prices any lower without making a loss or very little profit.so they need nintendo to reduce the price or i might be completely wrong.
david.nolan13 43

Postby buffig » 15 Feb 2013, 12:57

Codename4p wrote:I am pretty sure, the UK prices is decided by the retailer, not the company. EVERY time Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, whoever, they don't set prices here, its the UK retailers that do.

They mean they want an official rrp reduction and a reduction on the price they pay per unit. Why chop £50 off your own margins and sell it for no profit when nintendo can step up and reduce the wholesale price. I really want a Wii U and I'm never paying £300 for one. One of my friends who is a gamer didnt even know the Wii U was a console (seriously). How in Gods name they expect to sell this console to the casual market is beyond me. And the software prices are ludicrous.
Last edited by buffig on 15 Feb 2013, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
buffig 61

Postby TheLastDodo » 15 Feb 2013, 12:57

Sainsbury's fault, they should stop messing about with garlic bread and make Mario Galaxy 3 already!!!
TheLastDodo 77

Postby onezeon » 15 Feb 2013, 13:03

Not really

Why would retailers lower the price and lose thier profit margin...yet pay Nintendo the same rate??
If Nintendo reduced the RRP then retailers wouldnt have to pay as much to get the stock or hit the profits

Either way the WiiU is bombing and its only going to get worse with the imminent PS4/720 reveals!
I was tempted by the WiiU but with no real games worthy of the £300-400 outlay ill save it for the new next gen systems
onezeon 26

Postby Vhyper1985 » 15 Feb 2013, 13:14

Gambini wrote:Even a friend of mine who owns a Wii (and a PS3) asked me when the "Wii 2" was coming out... I told him it was already out and is called the "Wii U". He looked totally confused and said "But I thought that was just a new controller?"

Nintendo done f'd up.

This.. This is why Nintendo's marketing is bad & they only have themselves to blame, even way back at E3 when the WiiU was revealed for the 1st time is was just the gamepad that was shown, most people didn't even know what the console itself looked like for a long time & as mentioned only people that have a serious interest in gaming seem to know what the deal is.

The general public need to see more ads for the console itself as well as more games, the only good thing is that at least Nintendo actually seems aware that there is a lack of games for the system so far (Iwata even mentioning this in a previous Nintendo Direct conference) at the end of the day a price cut may help those who are on the fence to buy but if they want bigger numbers they need the awareness & the games available to back up the purchase.
Vhyper1985 51

Postby Beetle Bum » 15 Feb 2013, 13:20

the Wii U will be on it's last life line in only a few years time, but only hanging on a thin thread just because of a new Zelda or Mario or Metroid.
Beetle Bum 50

Postby JOFF » 15 Feb 2013, 13:25

I havn't seen a single wii u for sale in any of the major supermarkets in my town, although i saw a single copy of batman hidden in with the wii games, £47.99!!!
JOFF 33

Postby HelloLadies » 15 Feb 2013, 13:35

Ive been into a few different JB HiFi stores around Melbourne and not one of them has a Wii U on display. The PS3s and Xbox 360s are usually front and center as soon as you walk in.
HelloLadies 50

Postby StonecoldMC » 15 Feb 2013, 13:42

Nintendo's media agency don't have any planned activity until the middle of the year (E3?, after that they are going to have a MASSIVE push across all mediums; TV, Print and Online.

The next coupe of months could be really really difficult for them, in the UK anyway, don't know what they have panned for the NA or rest of the world.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby buffig » 15 Feb 2013, 13:49

Only 1 of 7 supermarkets in my town stock the Wii U and the sell Super Mario Bros U for £49.99!
buffig 61

Postby ricflair » 15 Feb 2013, 14:08

Some retailers have been selling Premiums for under £250 at times - I can't believe these places are making a loss on these units. 8GBs have been £200, so there's obviously a reasonable margin if they can knock £50 and still make profit. Unless it's doing so disasterously they're just trying to shift dead stock. But then they have then available the next week at the usual price, so they must be getting more in.

Of course retailers would like to see lower prices though, who f**king wouldn't?!?!
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby Codename4p » 15 Feb 2013, 14:16

buffig wrote:

They mean they want an official rrp reduction and a reduction on the price they pay per unit. Why chop £50 off your own margins and sell it for no profit when nintendo can step up and reduce the wholesale price. I really want a Wii U and I'm never paying £300 for one. One of my friends who is a gamer didn't even know the Wii U was a console (seriously). How in Gods name they expect to sell this console to the casual market is beyond me. And the software prices are ludicrous.

Simple, you compare it to other markets. For instance, the UK price to other countries when exchanging there currency back to ours.

In the States, the premium Wii U is $360 rounded, up or down, the exchange to the GDP is around $235. The basic system, is rounded up or down depending on your retailer, is around $290, which in the current exchange is $190 again rounding it up or down.

Then we look at European Markets, for instance, Germany. The premium console is around 330 euros which exchanges to around £285 and the basic system is around 280 euros which is around £240 pound. Again both these are attributed to being rounded up and down.

In fact for the sake of my response, the Japanese market. Prices for the Premium are 30,205 yen, which exchanges to £210! And the basic is 25,702 yen which again exchanges to £180. Again it is cheaper that every other country combined when translated back to the British GDP.

So even in Europe its cheaper, not by much, in fact I would say that Europe and the UK have been royally screwed over by the retail market. Because your right, they do need to make profit and margin, but if the states can Sell the unit which roughly translate to the prices above, the UK retailers have GROSSLY over priced the UK market. And they are buying the system on the cheap. Or Nintendo are grossly overcharging the UK and European market whilst selling the systems cheaper in other countries.

What I won't deny is the cost of the games which is ridiculous when charging £50 a game! However, I think everyone will possibly have to accept this pricing when the other next-gen consoles launch. And also the Marketing is appalling! I work for a store and we received no POS till the system released, we never got any posters, nothing. It also didn't get the Media coverage it needed such as TV and Radio presence and paying places like GAME, HMV, and Supermarkets to advertise the system.
I came here to have me ass kicked and my bubble gum stolen. So I am definitely out of gum.
Codename4p 32

Next