GameStop research: 60% of players won't buy consoles that bl

Your comments on our articles.

Next Xbox rumoured to combat second hand software sales

GameStop says internal research has found that 60 per cent of players would not buy a console that blocks used games, as is rumoured to be the case with Microsoft's next Xbox.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GameStop research: 60% of players won't buy consoles that bl

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 13 Feb 2013, 10:58

If it was a choice between one that did play pre-owned and one that didnt, then I would pick the first option every single time. If every console in the market blocked pre-owned games, I would either have to grimace and accept the chance, or get back into PC gaming.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Re: GameStop research: 60% of players won't buy consoles tha

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Feb 2013, 11:09

What's wrong with an activation code or online pass with every new game? If you buy it second hand then you buy the code or pass for say £5?

Everyones a winner.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby runadumb » 13 Feb 2013, 11:21

I think people will get used to it after a few years. Preowned hasn't existed in the PC space for as long as I can remember. I just changed my buying habits to waiting for games going for a price I was prepared to pay.
Granted steam the last few years has made that much easier, maybe too easy. I am (mostly) happy gaming a year behind the curve if it means getting my games for £10 or less.
That of course means when the money is spent its gone forever but when you get games for £3.75-£10 its not that big a deal.

With the new consoles you will probably get a digital version of every game day and date so good sales may be possible later down the line.

Its also entirely possible unlock codes will be available for pre-owned games.
runadumb 62

Postby pop_is_dead » 13 Feb 2013, 11:31

I personally don't buy used due to the fact I would rather pay the extra few quid and have a shiny new copy. I do however sell on pretty much every game when i'm done with it and use the money to fund my next brand new purchase(s). If I couldn't do this I would buy a hell of a lot less new games...
pop_is_dead 28

PSN ID: pop_is_dead

Postby ingy » 13 Feb 2013, 11:32

StonecoldMC wrote:What's wrong with an activation code or online pass with every new game? If you buy it second hand then you buy the code or pass for say £5?

Everyones a winner.

You're right, it's the only sensible option.

But most people are just too greedy and they feel they have an automatic right to play every game available, regardless of whether they can afford it or not.
ingy 64

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Feb 2013, 11:41

ingy wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:What's wrong with an activation code or online pass with every new game? If you buy it second hand then you buy the code or pass for say £5?

Everyones a winner.

You're right, it's the only sensible option.

But most people are just too greedy and they feel they have an automatic right to play every game available, regardless of whether they can afford it or not.

I blame The Only Way Is Essex and shite of that ilk :cry: .
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Feb 2013, 11:44

Everyones a winner.

Yep I agree.

And I'm not saying that because of the pain Juventus caused you.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby svd_grasshopper » 13 Feb 2013, 11:50

unless they come to some backroom agreement - and both implement it, i can't see one doing it without the other.

they'd just be handing the other victory. a lot of people are already not very happy about the way the 720 is shaping up. forced kinetic etc, this would just be the killer blow.

and stupid survey, it comes from as about a biased position as you could get.
I LIKE ELECTRO, I LIKE RETRO, I LIKE GHETTO: HOUSE & TECHNO!
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby nuggit3000 » 13 Feb 2013, 11:57

Im not a fan of the idea that second hand games being blocked, but it will hardly affect me, since I dont sell games or buy second hand. It will stop me sharing games with friends, but rarely do this anyway.
But if it came down to a choice between a console that block and one that dont, Id buy the one that dont. Simply because I dont believe this is morally right, and would want it to fail so they have to change their mind.
If they both do this, then theres nothing I could do about it, and just go with it.

Personally I think this is bad business though, just angering your customers when they could use an incentive based strategy.
Cut out all the middle men. (physical production, packaging, transport, retailers etc) and sell the game as download for a reasonable price (30 quid max for new release, and drop price after 3 months inline with stores) and people would chose download over physical.

People who have no credit card could still go into a store and buy an activation code, (which doesnt need to be fancy packed either, just a till receipt will do to keep cost down)

But the game cannot be more than 30 quid, when you factor how much cheaper it is for Sony and MS to distribute this way, how we have to foot the bill for storage media (Standard HDD's microsoft) and have no resale value.
Xbox live gamer tag: The Slythe
PC gaming tag: Slythe
PS3 tag: TheSlythe
nuggit3000 61

Xbox Live: TheSlythe
PSN ID: TheSlythe

Postby chamony » 13 Feb 2013, 12:00

to be honest - this will be a biased research, a second hand shop asking there customers about second hand goods, and it still only came out at 60%....

ultimately we'll buy them but hopefully the games should be cheaper in the first place like pc games are, even though we'll still get stung on dlc, but like others said a reasonable online pass price is the better option,

all in all maybe they just think, people who use digital downloads cant trade that game in and despite the huge price difference apple gets away with it,
chamony 39

Xbox Live: 1amGOD
PSN ID: 1amGOD
Steam: 1amGOD

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Feb 2013, 12:06

FishyGinger wrote:

Everyones a winner.

Yep I agree.

And I'm not saying that because of the pain Juventus caused you.

Your treading a thin line here Fishy . . . . . . .

:wink:

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby wwinterj » 13 Feb 2013, 12:10

For the price of used games you could buy the game in a sale or price drop and get everything you should. This is why I don't buy pre owned. For example Borderlands Game of the Year Version was £20 pre owned, £15 new. Go figure.
wwinterj 51

Xbox Live: wwinterj
PSN ID: wwinterj

Postby EvilWaterman » 13 Feb 2013, 12:15

Everyones a winner.

Exactly this
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 54

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby lonewolf2002 » 13 Feb 2013, 12:19

Alaann wrote:
DAEDALUS79 wrote:If it was a choice between one that did play pre-owned and one that didnt, then I would pick the first option every single time. If every console in the market blocked pre-owned games, I would either have to grimace and accept the chance, or get back into PC gaming.

pc gaming already doesnt have pre owned

Yeah it still does.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby 360_Fan » 13 Feb 2013, 12:49

chamony wrote:to be honest - this will be a biased research, a second hand shop asking there customers about second hand goods, and it still only came out at 60%....

ultimately we'll buy them but hopefully the games should be cheaper in the first place like pc games are, even though we'll still get stung on dlc, but like others said a reasonable online pass price is the better option,

all in all maybe they just think, people who use digital downloads cant trade that game in and despite the huge price difference apple gets away with it,

Just what I was going to say. They are the ones going to suffer next gen. The industry will adapt, and I still thing games will just require a small fee to be be activated. No wonder me local game shop was doing the hard sell on a wii u.
360_Fan 61

Next