Used market debate is 'double-edged sword' - EA

Your comments on our articles.

EA's Blake Jorgensen acknowledges the 'benefits' of the used games business

The used games market can be "critical" to major retail outlets, and good retail health is important to the games industry as a whole.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Used market debate is 'double-edged sword' - EA

Postby WiiUMad » 13 Feb 2013, 00:18

Its hard not to hate EA, it's almost a must
WiiUMad 12

Re: Used market debate is 'double-edged sword' - EA

Postby Barca Azul » 13 Feb 2013, 00:31

Actually a lot of sense being spoke here.
Barca Azul 63

Postby TheLastDodo » 13 Feb 2013, 00:37

fuk AE!!!!!!
TheLastDodo 77

Postby flash501 » 13 Feb 2013, 00:45

The fact is, that liquidity benefits us in some fashion. So if someone goes in and trades in a game, there's a good chance they're going to buy another one of our games. And so if there's a liquid market, I think that that's not a bad thing at all."

I think that must be the first time I've seen a Publisher/Developer acknowledge this fact. Bravo!!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby mrlister » 13 Feb 2013, 01:14

I can understand why publishers hate used games so much. I always thought they should. Compare to pirated games:
People who download pirate games for free may never have spent money on the game, so the publisher may not be losing out. People who buy used games (like me) have proven they would spend money on the game, yet the publisher receives nothing. It would be fairer if publishers could just get a cut of the used game price. Maybe 10%.
mrlister 46

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Postby Reegeee » 13 Feb 2013, 01:37

Are not all swords double edged? Isn't a single edged sword just a knife?

I've never got that expression.
Reegeee 75

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby theideal » 13 Feb 2013, 02:04

Reegeee wrote:Are not all swords double edged? Isn't a single edged sword just a knife?

Katanas aren't :P
Come on, man, you play video games. You should practically be able to forge one blindfolded by now, as well as strip and reassemble all manner of firearms.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 73

Postby Reegeee » 13 Feb 2013, 02:14

Yeh but that has it's own name, a 'Katana'. I will also not accept 'cutlass'.

I suppose they are kinds of swords, but not real swords, like a greatsword or a broadsword.
Reegeee 75

Postby theideal » 13 Feb 2013, 02:23

A lightsaber has no edges... that's a laser sword.

Also pork.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 73

Postby solamon77 » 13 Feb 2013, 02:42

Reegeee wrote:Are not all swords double edged? Isn't a single edged sword just a knife?

A double edged sword is a sword that has a blade in place of a handle so that it cuts you when you use it.

Honestly, I can't see the console market completely blocking used games. What I can see them doing is only letting a used game play for so long before a license has to be bought for some nominal price. Which, honestly, I don't see as that much of a problem.

The fact of the matter is that the current way most publishers make money is in jeopardy. Games used to have a lot longer tail. Nowadays, you pretty much have to get as many sales as you can into the first couple weeks before your game fades into obscurity. This is contributing to a very unhealthy market. Maybe this will help restore some stability to the games business.

I don't think most gamers quite realize how important this is. The more money that a publisher has, the more games get greenlit. This is why innovation has dried up so much recently. With game companies failing left and right, no smart business man is going to bet the company on an unproven product.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby Reegeee » 13 Feb 2013, 10:49

No it isn't! That's a double bladed, or dual ended sword!

A double edged sword is a sword where each side, or edge, is sharp. Ie - Pretty much all swords.

@Ideal - You have me with pork sword I'm afraid. :lol: That's a fair point.
Reegeee 75

Postby illage2 » 13 Feb 2013, 12:17

This is coming from a developer who:

- Was Voted worst company in America last year
- Whose games always contain an online pass
- Who brought their way into metacritic.
- Who ruined the Command & Conquer franchise
- Who failed on the release of Fifa 12 and 13.
- Who placed ON DISC DLC for Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 2 and Dead Space 3
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Stigweird85 » 13 Feb 2013, 13:59

Sigh,

I would be my life savings on the next consoles allowing preowned games. At worst you would need to pay a nominal fee to unlock it(probably absorbed by or passed onto customer at retail level) or would need to purchase a pass not too dissimilar top current and accepted online passess.

The rage that this rumour has caused is farcical, my personal favourite are the people who believe kinect will use facial recognition to block content to those who haven't paid. We can't get proper facial recognition software on security cameras but I'm sure that an entertainment device will be able to do it :roll:
Stigweird85 45

Xbox Live: Stigweird85
PSN ID: BigStig85
Steam: Stigweird85

Postby Nimron Tang » 13 Feb 2013, 16:03

@Reegeee

In Tai Chi we use two different swords, each with their own individual form to learn and practice.

The "Dao" is a single edged sword. Every move in the Dao form concentrates on maximising the cutting potential of the sharp side of the sword.

The "Jian" is a double edged sword. The Jian form is much more complex, but you can use either side of the blade to cut as both sides are sharp. The "Green Destiny" from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" is a jian.

A Katana is a sword, its just that the Japanese call it a Katana. A Wakizashi is a short sword, its just the Japanese call it a Wakizashi. They are both single edged swords.

The "Tang" part of my name is a reference to my love of swords (particularly Chinese swords).
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Feb 2013, 16:17

Nimron Tang wrote:@Reegeee

In Tai Chi we use two different swords, each with their own individual form to learn and practice.

The "Dao" is a single edged sword. Every move in the Dao form concentrates on maximising the cutting potential of the sharp side of the sword.

The "Jian" is a double edged sword. The Jian form is much more complex, but you can use either side of the blade to cut as both sides are sharp. The "Green Destiny" from "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" is a jian.

A Katana is a sword, its just that the Japanese call it a Katana. A Wakizashi is a short sword, its just the Japanese call it a Wakizashi. They are both single edged swords.

The "Tang" part of my name is a reference to my love of swords (particularly Chinese swords).

And is the used market a jian? That's a nicely informative post, kudos and kang to you squire.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Next