to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

All HMV Ireland stores to close

Your comments on our articles.

300 jobs to be lost as retail group continues streamlining operation

All of HMV's Irish stores are to be permanently shut resulting in the loss of 300 jobs, the company has confirmed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Acesbomb » 12 Feb 2013, 15:48

That's GAME and HMV totally gone now. Just Gamestop left to buy games.

The next gen consoles better have a good collection of downloadable games as there will be nowhere to by discs here soon :lol:
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 51

Postby Paul_Boland2 » 12 Feb 2013, 15:55

I'm Irish and when I visit Dublin I use to shop in HMV all the time. The store was massive and always packed and always seemed to be doing great business. This is a huge blow to our marketplace for games, music and movie purchases as well as a big blow jobs-wise. What really annoys me is that over Christmas HMV sold thousands upon thousands of euros in gift vouchers only for it to turn around after Christmas and say they would no longer be honouring them. Our country has been hit very hard by the recession and economic crisis and taking money out of peoples pockets when HMV knew their company was in trouble was dispicable!
Paul_Boland2 49

Re: All HMV Ireland stores to close

Postby flash501 » 12 Feb 2013, 15:56

Paul_Boland2 wrote:I'm Irish and when I visit Dublin I use to shop in HMV all the time. The store was massive and always packed and always seemed to be doing great business. This is a huge blow to our marketplace for games, music and movie purchases as well as a big blow jobs-wise. What really annoys me is that over Christmas HMV sold thousands upon thousands of euros in gift vouchers only for it to turn around after Christmas and say they would no longer be honouring them. Our country has been hit very hard by the recession and economic crisis and taking money out of peoples pockets when HMV knew their company was in trouble was dispicable!

*sniggers*

flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby StonecoldMC » 12 Feb 2013, 15:59

flash501 wrote:
Paul_Boland2 wrote:I'm Irish and when I visit Dublin I use to shop in HMV all the time. The store was massive and always packed and always seemed to be doing great business. This is a huge blow to our marketplace for games, music and movie purchases as well as a big blow jobs-wise. What really annoys me is that over Christmas HMV sold thousands upon thousands of euros in gift vouchers only for it to turn around after Christmas and say they would no longer be honouring them. Our country has been hit very hard by the recession and economic crisis and taking money out of peoples pockets when HMV knew their company was in trouble was dispicable!

*sniggers*

*Tries to act mature*

Come on Flash! Stop being so . . . .

*HOLD*

*HOLD*

*Sniggers*
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby flyfletch » 12 Feb 2013, 16:04

I know its not feasible for a lot of people, but if your near the border, go across to Enniskillen and get your games :)
flyfletch 71

Postby rbt2 » 12 Feb 2013, 16:06

I'd like to add to flashes snigger by adding a chortle.
Does this mean Internet shops have gobbled up HMV's business?
And is it down solely to their over-infellated prices?
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby Acesbomb » 12 Feb 2013, 16:53

I'm Irish and I could not care less & I have O/S vouchers. If you cannot compete you go out of business. If this model was followed with the banks years ago things would probably be getting better now instead of being on the edge of a cliff were on now.
3770kk @ 4.6ghz
R9 290X crossfire
Dell 30" 1600p
16GB Corsair Dominator
Acesbomb 51

Postby Noobsaibot » 12 Feb 2013, 17:21

Well that is bullshit. Not all stores were loss making at all. In fact, Liffey Valley and Dundrum were regularly beating even some of the massive UK shops week in, week out. Sucks for the staff that they are essentially blaming all the Irish shops for the problems they were having in the UK. I now have no incentive to go anywhere near Grafton Street.
I'm kind of a big deal...

Steam ID: noobsaibot21
XBL GT: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)

Currently Playing: Video Games

Noobsaibot 67

Xbox Live: Noobsaibot21
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21

Postby PMIKE5 » 12 Feb 2013, 17:25

This sounds like the laziest decision of all time. I can just imagine someone in head office scratching their nuts and saying, "Hmm, this will reduce delivery costs." and puts a big red cross over Ireland.
My artwork. Hope you like it :)
My kindle comics
PMIKE5 46

Postby gobbybobby » 12 Feb 2013, 18:27

Noobsaibot wrote:Well that is bullshit. Not all stores were loss making at all. In fact, Liffey Valley and Dundrum were regularly beating even some of the massive UK shops week in, week out. Sucks for the staff that they are essentially blaming all the Irish shops for the problems they were having in the UK. I now have no incentive to go anywhere near Grafton Street.

In the same way not every THQ game sold badly

they still went out of business.
gobbybobby 45

Xbox Live: gobbybobby
PSN ID: gobbybobby
Steam: gobbybobby
Battle.net: gobbybobby
xFire: gobbybobby

Postby Solm » 12 Feb 2013, 18:40

Phew glad I got rid of my HMV voucher in the Sales. I've had a last laugh the wife is always telling me to hang on to my voucher until I see something I want to get. Only trouble is I always see something I want as soon as I walk into the shop :D
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 53

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby sevvybgoode » 12 Feb 2013, 20:47

To be sure, to be sure?
There were 11000 gun related homicides in America in 2008, Japan had 6 gun related deaths in the same year. Does anyone know if they play videogames in Japan?
sevvybgoode 53

Xbox Live: sevvy b goode
PSN ID: Sevvybgoode

Postby Bambis Dad » 12 Feb 2013, 20:53

Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby sevvybgoode » 12 Feb 2013, 21:08

^

I've got way too many gifs saved in my favourites...
There were 11000 gun related homicides in America in 2008, Japan had 6 gun related deaths in the same year. Does anyone know if they play videogames in Japan?
sevvybgoode 53

Xbox Live: sevvy b goode
PSN ID: Sevvybgoode

Postby alan666 » 12 Feb 2013, 21:33

Looks like all HMV shops will shut inthe next few weeks then.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next