'Why fight piracy?' Anodyne dev offers free codes on Pirate

Your comments on our articles.

Indie dev posts on torrent search website to raise awareness for Steam Greenlight project

Indie games developer Sean Hogan has offered free copies of Anodyne to those attempting to download the game through a Pirate Bay listings page.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Dizzee » 11 Feb 2013, 11:09

Pretty cool way to advertise your game :)
Dizzee 36

Re: 'Why fight piracy?' Anodyne dev offers free codes on Pir

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 11 Feb 2013, 11:23

That's a smart way to advertise one game... however it takes the risk to send mixed messages, endorsing piracy indiscriminately and unequivocally without really showing the other side of the argument. Slippery slope, especially from an indie dev who's usually the first in line when the side effects of piracy take hold.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Ludakriss » 11 Feb 2013, 11:36

What a dude,

I, of course would've also loved if those people on Pirate Bay had paid for the game but, that's why they're on Pirate Bay - they don't want to pay xD
Ludakriss 27

Postby robbo1337 » 11 Feb 2013, 11:59

Rather than seeing this as giving off mixed messages, I see this as a pragmatic response to the inevitable piracy that effects creators of digital content. There will always be a section of the audience who are unwilling to pay (even if they can afford to). Historically, there's been very little that can be done about this. However, the ability to engage direcetly with them and harness their 'engagement' for want of a better word is a recent phenomena. How effective it will be remains to be seen, but it's better than burying your head in the sand

Having said that, I can't actually find this game on TPB. I wanted to follow up this story for a class but can't locate it
This is the space where clever things gets said?
robbo1337 39

PSN ID: robbo1337
Steam: robbo1337

Postby hephaestos » 11 Feb 2013, 13:07

pay what you want is the best way to do it though... even the cheapest guys will give a dollar if they can.
hephaestos 40

Postby sbradley88 » 11 Feb 2013, 14:27

I smell a trick lol. Probably some way of tracking the downloaders through the files, in an attempt to bring down piracy haha :D
sbradley88 59

Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Postby Seagaia2 » 11 Feb 2013, 14:46

Dev here. I can't find it on TPB either. Weeeiiirrd.
Seagaia2 1
New user

Postby sh4dow83 » 11 Feb 2013, 21:32

It may just be a publicity stunt of these guys and maybe once they have raked in enough dough, just like Sony (with PlayStation, obviously), Microsoft (with Windows) and CD Projekt RED (do I have to name it?), they will suddenly change their tune and start complaining about how horrible pirates would be but... I will give them the benefit of a doubt and buy their games instead of some mainstream title regardless (plus, I find the games interesting).
sh4dow83 44