to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Your comments on our articles.

'No issues with development, only reason is to release on multiple platforms'

Ubisoft has moved to explain the recent Rayman Origins delay, which will see the formerly Wii U exclusive game also launching on PS3 and Xbox 360 this September.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Feb 2013, 09:47

That really is a kick in the teeth for Wii U owners. Why didnt Nintendo pony up a lump sum to get it released on there hardware first of all though?

A real f**k up by both parties.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
User avatar
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13368
Joined: 14 May 2007, 20:47
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby dwhlufc » 11 Feb 2013, 10:13

I feel bad for those people who had preordered and were genuinely looking forward to this. It grated me abit when I found out Ni No Kuni was delayed by a week but now they have to wait six months!

You can understand all the negative posts aimed at Ubisoft and people calling for a boycott of the Wii U version.
Image
Image
User avatar
dwhlufc 75
 
Posts: 14360
Joined: 05 Sep 2007, 16:09
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby a_adji » 11 Feb 2013, 10:18

StonecoldMC wrote:That really is a kick in the teeth for Wii U owners. Why didnt Nintendo pony up a lump sum to get it released on there hardware first of all though?

A real f**k up by both parties.



This is disappointing but can someone please give me the actual sales numbers for Rayman to justify paying for an exclusive?

I personally have enjoyed the demo and could not wait to play a Rayman game for the first time, but I have never known it to be a huge seller on any platform.
a_adji 47
 
Posts: 413
Joined: 08 Jul 2010, 14:41
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby StonecoldMC » 11 Feb 2013, 10:31

a_adji wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:That really is a kick in the teeth for Wii U owners. Why didnt Nintendo pony up a lump sum to get it released on there hardware first of all though?

A real f**k up by both parties.



This is disappointing but can someone please give me the actual sales numbers for Rayman to justify paying for an exclusive?

I personally have enjoyed the demo and could not wait to play a Rayman game for the first time, but I have never known it to be a huge seller on any platform.


It probably isn't a multi million seller but the fact that the Wii U has been slow out of the gates with software releases then I thought it would have been in Nintendo's interest to have as many titles available for there customers as possible?
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
User avatar
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13368
Joined: 14 May 2007, 20:47
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby kimoak » 11 Feb 2013, 10:34

What a shame - J C Denton
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
User avatar
kimoak 57
 
Posts: 4447
Joined: 18 Feb 2007, 19:14
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby Agent75 » 11 Feb 2013, 10:36

Poor Wii U console sales have forced the game onto other formats. I might be wrong, but wasn't this a Wii U exclusive? Saying that, it's pointless making this a Wii U exclusive, when putting it on other formats is going to make Ubisoft more money. If you own the 3 main consoles, exclusives mean nothing. The same will happen with ZombieU, it'll come out on other formats, maybe next gen consoles. It'd probably be a variation like CODE: Veronica X, which flopped on the Dreamcast.
Agent75 48
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 19:15
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby Robzy1990 » 11 Feb 2013, 10:37

Released the same month as GTA5 this doesn't stand a chance now. Ubi had a great launch date, taken advantage of the lack of games on wii u atm. When this finally does release, even those not deliberately boycotting the game will be more interested in mario kart, zelda, Pikmin etc.
Robzy1990 38
 
Posts: 323
Joined: 01 Sep 2008, 16:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby NeoMejico » 11 Feb 2013, 10:48

Maybe this is happening because the Wii U software sales are flopping, they just want to at least sale a bunch of copies to recover from development expenses, and only releasing it in all consoles they have more chances.

Things are getting nastier for Wii U owners, and I guess a lot of people are at the fence just waiting who is going to be the next top dog, I just hope one day the gaming environment could be like this:

-Only 2 or 3 Consoles with same architecture from: Sony, Samsung and Apple (just guessing don´t trow rocks please!), and they should be cheaper like a tablet or smart phone. Just Imagine Nintendo going Multiplatform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-AAA games from Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony (as publishers), and all major third parties and publishers games available for ALL consoles, all of them doing business as Steam and/or selling cards with codes at game retailers for those with no credit card for digital downloads. (I don´t remember any song or movie exclusive to a certain device, are you with me in this one?)

-Indie games and Apps like Netflix or Playstation Plus, android market, steam, etc... as exclusives to compete for customer preference.

-Selling the games in different prices and bundles so all we are happy with what we get ex:

A new game for the next gen console and different options to get it: Full price for the physical media (bluray or dvd) included with exclusive content, half the price for the same game as a download only. In that way if you have different ways to monetize from the same game game publishers and developers will be happy and we as gamers will support them in an easier way.

I´m just guessing but that could be a better gaming ecosystem designed to keep hardcore, mid-core and casual gamers happier and willing to keep supporting this beautiful hobby, and a better way to avoid this nasty way of trying to exploit people and driving them away from a good gaming experience.
NeoMejico 3
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Feb 2013, 10:13

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby Toasted_PSP » 11 Feb 2013, 10:57

NeoMejico wrote:-Only 2 or 3 Consoles with same architecture from: Sony, Samsung and Apple (just guessing don´t trow rocks please!), and they should be cheaper like a tablet or smart phone. Just Imagine Nintendo going Multiplatform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


So a 3D0 2 then :mrgreen:

Smart Phones are more expensive than consoles :wink:
User avatar
Toasted_PSP 64
 
Posts: 869
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 13:58

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby goggy » 11 Feb 2013, 10:58

NeoMejico wrote:Maybe this is happening because the Wii U software sales are flopping, they just want to at least sale a bunch of copies to recover from development expenses, and only releasing it in all consoles they have more chances.

Things are getting nastier for Wii U owners, and I guess a lot of people are at the fence just waiting who is going to be the next top dog, I just hope one day the gaming environment could be like this:

-Only 2 or 3 Consoles with same architecture from: Sony, Samsung and Apple (just guessing don´t trow rocks please!), and they should be cheaper like a tablet or smart phone. Just Imagine Nintendo going Multiplatform!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-AAA games from Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony (as publishers), and all major third parties and publishers games available for ALL consoles, all of them doing business as Steam and/or selling cards with codes at game retailers for those with no credit card for digital downloads. (I don´t remember any song or movie exclusive to a certain device, are you with me in this one?)

-Indie games and Apps like Netflix or Playstation Plus, android market, steam, etc... as exclusives to compete for customer preference.

-Selling the games in different prices and bundles so all we are happy with what we get ex:

A new game for the next gen console and different options to get it: Full price for the physical media (bluray or dvd) included with exclusive content, half the price for the same game as a download only. In that way if you have different ways to monetize from the same game game publishers and developers will be happy and we as gamers will support them in an easier way.

I´m just guessing but that could be a better gaming ecosystem designed to keep hardcore, mid-core and casual gamers happier and willing to keep supporting this beautiful hobby, and a better way to avoid this nasty way of trying to exploit people and driving them away from a good gaming experience.


What a horrible place to be.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
User avatar
goggy 50
 
Posts: 484
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 00:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby sigourney beaver » 11 Feb 2013, 11:10

Just cancelled my pre order there are going to be too many games out around that time oi year that I would rather be playing
User avatar
sigourney beaver 44
 
Posts: 181
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 18:04
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby JuiKuen » 11 Feb 2013, 11:12

UbiSoft really have messed this one up. Its hard to say if the Wii U version would have sold more on its own, but even if it didn't they could put out the other versions later with extras and see what happens.

You could say Nintendo should have done more as well.

But doing this thinking the Wii U version wouldn't sell is only going to p**s off Wii U owners even more now, and possibly kill its chances further? Nintendo have their games coming out near the end of year and you know people will plump for those instead of this.

And they think going against GTA V is a good idea?? To me, its like the company hate Rayman and want it to fail.
JuiKuen 49
 
Posts: 1344
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 20:48

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby Balladeer » 11 Feb 2013, 11:17

STOP PRESS: Leaked minutes of latest Ubisoft board meeting released to public!

"It seems that our plan to kick Wii U owners in the teeth is coming along nicely. Have you seen them mewling like punted kittens on the Internet? They're hilarious! LOLOLOLOL!!!"

Yves Guillemot was unavailable for comment: attempts were met with "Never Gonna Give You Up" being played as hold music.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
User avatar
Balladeer 77
 
Posts: 21928
Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby TheLastDodo » 11 Feb 2013, 11:28

Did Nintendo only have a verbal agreement with Ubisoft on Rayman been exclusive to Wii U? It sounds like it but I couldn't see Nintendo been that naive.

Can't blame Ubisoft for taking it to other platforms, the more platforms it's on the more potential sales it could see. No good reason for not releasing the Wii U version now though, Ubisoft just spitting in the face of Wii U owners.
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: Ubisoft explains Rayman Legends Wii U delay

Postby wwinterj » 11 Feb 2013, 11:57

I'll be honest this makes me happy. I don't want to buy a WII U this year just to play one or two games. Plus it's the best move for the series as of course if it goes multi platform it will sell more and thus more chance of another game. No matter what folk might think I wouldn't be shocked if Bayonetta 2 goes the same way. Afterall Nintendo are only the publisher. Someone else could publish it on other consoles once the exclusive deal has ran out.

Wii U hasn't even left the starting gate yet and it isn't sell as much as WII due to the price. Nintendo don't seem to be doing much to support it either but it is early days. I don't want the WII U to be like the WII when it comes to games. It needs more good exclusive titles and a better price point in order to be a success and at the moment it has neither.
Last edited by wwinterj on 11 Feb 2013, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
wwinterj 49
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 22:47
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bamozzy, FishyGinger, Google Adsense [Bot], Jacko11 and 10 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]