to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Retro Vault: Street Fighter II, NES, Streets Of Rage

Your comments on our articles.

Your weekly trip into the gaming archives begins

Retro Vault is a new weekly feature in which we dive into gaming's past and share five classic nuggets of retro nostalgia. TV ads, game artwork, old articles from the CVG archives - you'll find them all here in the coming weeks.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Retro Vault: Street Fighter II, NES, Streets Of Rage

Postby toaplan » 09 Feb 2013, 17:58

A harsh tut has to go to Nintendo for its slightly over-the-top sales pitch, however. "Nintendo's superb graphics give the games a convincing true 3D feel with actual shadows which add depth to the characters," it boasts.

That sales pitch should have been for the 16-bit Amiga, which was getting big at the time. But for the 8-bit NES - which couldn't handle actual polygon 3D graphics - it was inappropriate and misleading. They probably meant the isometric pseudo-3D games like Rare's Cobra Triangle, but they weren't true 3D games.

I disagree about the Mega-CD being rubbish. It was powerful and advanced for 1991 and had some truly great games. Sonic CD, Final Fight CD and Ecco the Dolphin CD were great versions of three important games, much enhanced by their brilliant CD soundtracks. Batman Returns was a fantastic and great-looking driving game and Jaguar XJ220 wasn't far behind. Thunderhawk was another excellent game with impressive visuals. The Lunar games are some of the most revered JRPGs ever. And NHL '94 was easily the best version of one of my very favourite games of all time.

The Mega-CD's problem was that the library and userbase were still too small. But perhaps the rarity also made it even cooler to own. I know I'll never forget the first time I turned on the Mega-CD, saw the impressively rotating and zooming logo (the wonder of hardware rotation and scaling of sprites...) and soon heard the incredible CD soundtrack of Heavy Nova. The game controlled like crap, but I still really like the game because of the awesome soundtrack.

Such a shame that the SNES CD-Rom add-on was never released - it would have made the SNES even more special. Add-ons may not be a good idea from a business perspective, but there's just something cool about them. But who knows what would have happened to Playstation, if the SNES CD had been released?

Nice to see the return of the Retro feature 8)
toaplan 73

Re: Retro Vault: Street Fighter II, NES, Streets Of Rage

Postby El Mag » 09 Feb 2013, 18:32

Streets Of Rage was the first game I ever finished. Me and my old man set the Megadrive up one night while my brother went to bingo with my mum and gran, and we clocked it in one setting. Good times.

The warning signs with my brother were obviously there early in hindsight. But in his defence he is a smashing dancer with great dress sense nowadays.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Queen Skillage » 09 Feb 2013, 18:42

El Mag wrote:Streets Of Rage was the first game I ever finished. Me and my old man set the Megadrive up one night while my brother went to bingo with my mum and gran, and we clocked it in one setting. Good times.

The warning signs with my brother were obviously there early in hindsight. But in his defence he is a smashing dancer with great dress sense nowadays.

:lol:

You should introduce him to rbt!
Queen Skillage 63
Global Moderator

Postby sevvybgoode » 09 Feb 2013, 19:01

I'd like to add eternal champions cd to that list of decent megacd games. And Keiyos flying squadron... The mega cd had some really good games and should be remembered with a bit more fondness than it gets.

It's quite a good article in terms of triggering nostalgia and it reminds me of picking up streets of rage on Japanese import. It was the first game I'd ever bought on import and after reading the mean machines review I got my mum to take me to videogames (I think it was called that anyway) on the gold hawk road in chiswick to buy a copy and an adaptor to play it on my uk megadrive. It also had the infinitely cooler name of bare knuckle as well.
There were 11000 gun related homicides in America in 2008, Japan had 6 gun related deaths in the same year. Does anyone know if they play videogames in Japan?
sevvybgoode 53

Xbox Live: sevvy b goode
PSN ID: Sevvybgoode

Postby rbt2 » 09 Feb 2013, 19:06

Queen Skillage wrote:
El Mag wrote:Streets Of Rage was the first game I ever finished. Me and my old man set the Megadrive up one night while my brother went to bingo with my mum and gran, and we clocked it in one setting. Good times.

:lol:

You should introduce him to rbt!

Now I don't find this funny at all or one little bit!
I find it a major slur on my more than stellar character.

I fear that Articles thread has become more of a witch hunt and less a place to voice your opinion on all things games.
I have always carried and conducted meself in no less than exemplary manner on these here forums and thusly expect due consideration and respect that I allow to other users.
Quite frankly, I see this quoted post an attack not only on me but upon my sexuality too!
Disappointed.
Disappointed and not a little upset, Queen S!!!

!
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby rbt2 » 09 Feb 2013, 19:13

And if you believe that above bit of old bollox then what are you?
Stoopid or what!
rbt2 76

Postby Queen Skillage » 09 Feb 2013, 19:28

What! I thought by great dancer and snappy dresser he meant he was a Crystal Palace fan is all!

Hehehe, you're adorable.
Queen Skillage 63
Global Moderator

Postby rbt2 » 09 Feb 2013, 19:33

Queen Skillage wrote:What! I thought by great dancer and snappy dresser he meant he was a Crystal Palace fan is all!

Hehehe, you're adorable.

Adorable I may be.
And if troof be told then I have been told this many times in my long, old, pointless life but I digress.

I don't think I like your tone t'wards me very much, young lady!
rbt2 76

Postby Funkymonk » 09 Feb 2013, 21:52

I'll allways have a soft spot for Streets of Rage. Even if it was overshadowed by SOR2 it was still the best scrolling beu of its day and it set the template for everything that made it's sequel one of the all time greats.
Funkymonk 31

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 09 Feb 2013, 23:35

Ahh the Mega CD, I had willy sick in my pants when I was on my way home with that in the bag. 3 hours later I felt hoodwinked and a little bit dirty, I got it with the Helicopter game, I forget it's name, but basically you didn't control jack s**t it was all set :( pieces

Sold it not long after, I imagine a few get this with the WiiU :mrgreen:

Kidding! :wink:

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Re:

Postby Chris Scullion » 10 Feb 2013, 01:05

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Ahh the Mega CD, I had willy sick in my pants when I was on my way home with that in the bag. 3 hours later I felt hoodwinked and a little bit dirty, I got it with the Helicopter game, I forget it's name, but basically you didn't control jack s**t it was all set pieces

That'll be Cobra Command. There was a similar one called Road Avenger.
Chris Scullion
CVG Staff

Xbox Live: Scully1888
PSN ID: Scully1888

Postby richomack360 » 10 Feb 2013, 01:19

Streets of Rage - best side scrolling beat em up ever.

However, if you can, download Streets of Rage Remake - absolutely superb and deserves to be legally distributed.

Absolute masterpiece.

Sewer Shark - am sure the boss character in it, the fat guy eating the chicken, played Arnie's best mate on Earth (at the construction company) in Total Recall, who then tried to kill him with several other goons.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Welsh Jester » 10 Feb 2013, 04:33

Too bad they stopped making games like Streets of Rage, i find them more enjoyable than simplistic beat emups.
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 10 Feb 2013, 08:20

I play these now and again on MAME and Gens, loved Street Fighter 2 and Streets of Rage, with Final Fight being another.

Double Dragon, Guerilla War, Shinobi were also some of the best arcade games out there.

They were the days when games were fun, nowadays it's crap full of bugs.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 38

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby FixBeatGames » 10 Feb 2013, 09:08

toaplan wrote:
A harsh tut has to go to Nintendo for its slightly over-the-top sales pitch, however. "Nintendo's superb graphics give the games a convincing true 3D feel with actual shadows which add depth to the characters," it boasts.

That sales pitch should have been for the 16-bit Amiga, which was getting big at the time. But for the 8-bit NES - which couldn't handle actual polygon 3D graphics - it was inappropriate and misleading. They probably meant the isometric pseudo-3D games like Rare's Cobra Triangle, but they weren't true 3D games.

I disagree about the Mega-CD being rubbish. It was powerful and advanced for 1991 and had some truly great games. Sonic CD, Final Fight CD and Ecco the Dolphin CD were great versions of three important games, much enhanced by their brilliant CD soundtracks. Batman Returns was a fantastic and great-looking driving game and Jaguar XJ220 wasn't far behind. Thunderhawk was another excellent game with impressive visuals. The Lunar games are some of the most revered JRPGs ever. And NHL '94 was easily the best version of one of my very favourite games of all time.

The Mega-CD's problem was that the library and userbase were still too small. But perhaps the rarity also made it even cooler to own. I know I'll never forget the first time I turned on the Mega-CD, saw the impressively rotating and zooming logo (the wonder of hardware rotation and scaling of sprites...) and soon heard the incredible CD soundtrack of Heavy Nova. The game controlled like crap, but I still really like the game because of the awesome soundtrack.

Such a shame that the SNES CD-Rom add-on was never released - it would have made the SNES even more special. Add-ons may not be a good idea from a business perspective, but there's just something cool about them. But who knows what would have happened to Playstation, if the SNES CD had been released?

Nice to see the return of the Retro feature 8)

nice post, i never had the mega-cd but my best friend did where i practically lived lol. it really did have a small selection of games available but there were some great ones. it always annoyed me though tbh whenever a game was just the same as the mega-drive version apart from the soundtrack/game intro. sonic cd was a mess imo, the whole time thing took away from the speedy zipping through levels i was used too.

you know the SNES CD-Rom add-on is basically the PS One don't you? Sony were making the CD-Add-On for the SNES when nintendo dropped them, so Sony took it and made it into a PS One instead. I'd imagine Nintendo were seriously kicking themselves when they saw how well the PS One did and how it ultimately ruined sega, and 2 generations of nintendo (n64/gamecube).
FixBeatGames 41

Next