to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'I couldn't believe it' - Alleged Rayman dev criticises dela

Your comments on our articles.

"If you're pissed, imagine how we feel," vents anonymous forum poster

A forum poster claiming to be a Rayman Legends developer has heavily criticised Ubisoft's decision to delay the platformer.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'I couldn't believe it' - Alleged Rayman dev criticises dela

Postby cult » 08 Feb 2013, 11:55

Industry killing ©uπt
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
cult 62

Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Re: 'I couldn't believe it' - Alleged Rayman dev criticises

Postby Zaphod_B » 08 Feb 2013, 12:30

Not releasing the finished WiiU version is a travesty. Entirely a cruddy marketing move, it wouldn't hurt at all to realese it and then release ports when they're ready. Poor show Ubisoft.
"Never eat more that 2 Pan-Galatic Gargle Blasters unless you are a 30-ton Mega Elephant with Broncal Phemonia"
Zaphod_B 42

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 08 Feb 2013, 13:06

Zaphod_B wrote:Not releasing the finished WiiU version is a travesty. Entirely a cruddy marketing move, it wouldn't hurt at all to realese it and then release ports when they're ready. Poor show Ubisoft.

I agree, they should've released at least the finished WiiU version, if only to whet the PS3/360 owners' appetite.

I've had some experience on a small dev team and the crunch time can really be taxing, expecially when inept people high up take this kind of stupid decision. Good job, Ubi :roll:
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby thecreator » 08 Feb 2013, 13:52

Actually I would think it would be a good marketing move, surely better to market the game as available for every platform at once. One marketing campaign, one marketing budget - that way it can be focussed.
From a business point of view it make sense, from a gamers point of view it's gutting.
thecreator 25

Postby Old McGroin » 08 Feb 2013, 14:54

thecreator wrote:Actually I would think it would be a good marketing move, surely better to market the game as available for every platform at once. One marketing campaign, one marketing budget - that way it can be focussed.
From a business point of view it make sense, from a gamers point of view it's gutting.

I was thinking of getting this game purely on the back of the demo and the fact that the Wii U is pretty starved for quality at the mo. Now I know for a fact that this game is definitely off my radar, by September there will be more choice.

To your point about this decision making sense from a business point of view you might want to consider these 3 points:

1: Loss of Wii U sales in March when they would have been nearly completely unchallenged sales wise and remember there are over 2 million Wii U owners out there begging for a quality game.
2: Loss of Wii U sales in September due to there being a better selection of games to choose from and people turning their back on it purely out of spite.
3: And here' the big one - remember which other game was pushed back to September recently? That's right, Grand Theft Auto 5. What PS3/360 gamer in their right mind is going to plump for a platformer like Rayman over a phenomenon like GTA?

Terrible business decision by the higher ups at Ubisoft and I feel very sorry for the Wii U owners who actually bought tyhe console just to play this.
Old McGroin 33

Postby sbisset » 08 Feb 2013, 14:57

thecreator wrote:Actually I would think it would be a good marketing move, surely better to market the game as available for every platform at once. One marketing campaign, one marketing budget - that way it can be focussed.

Unfortunately, that is complete crap. The game has been promoted for over a year. You couldn't read/watch anything about the Wii-U without seeing Rayman Legends. They released the E3 demo/videos, the playable demo on eshop, preorders available on websites, all for nothing. Nintendo literally put all their eggs in the Rayman Legends basket and they got screwed for doing so.
If Ubisoft were worried about the lack of promotion or possible low sales on Wii-U after all the development they've put in, all they've achieved now is to ensure that will happen. People werent exactly going to go out of their way to buy a Wii-U to get the game, but if they already owned one then it was a guaranteed purchase. Now they've muddied the waters and ruined the hype they'd built. If reducing the number of sales they'll achieve for Wii-U by porting it to other consoles that have an unbeatably strong xmas lineup is supposed to be beneficial, all to save on advertising they dont even need, then they've failed miserably.
Personally, i'm going to buy this preowned, along with any other games they produce/publish. Ubisoft wont see any money from me again.
sbisset 21

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Feb 2013, 14:59

The worst part about this would be if the other versions look the same as the Wii U version.. i guess we'll find out if the Wii U really can show better graphics?
Welsh Jester 47

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby TOKEN » 08 Feb 2013, 15:21

This was the game that was on kiosks at game stores,infact i rated this over nintendo boring SMBU.Now im not going to bother.Also ubi AC3 is so buggy i can't complete the game now.Theres even a nintendo gold seal on the s%$t.
There doesn't seem to be alot of confidence in the wii u,through developers.
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Postby Xbot4life » 08 Feb 2013, 15:56

Welsh Jester wrote:The worst part about this would be if the other versions look the same as the Wii U version.. i guess we'll find out if the Wii U really can show better graphics?

You're right. All this talk, lets see it Wii U. I wont hold my breath.
blah blah blah blah blah, I don't care about your clever response, only proves me right.
Xbot4life 29

Postby thecreator » 08 Feb 2013, 16:37

Last edited by thecreator on 08 Feb 2013, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.
thecreator 25

Postby thecreator » 08 Feb 2013, 16:40

Old McGroin wrote:

I was thinking of getting this game purely on the back of the demo and the fact that the Wii U is pretty starved for quality at the mo. Now I know for a fact that this game is definitely off my radar, by September there will be more choice.

To your point about this decision making sense from a business point of view you might want to consider these 3 points:

1: Loss of Wii U sales in March when they would have been nearly completely unchallenged sales wise and remember there are over 2 million Wii U owners out there begging for a quality game.
2: Loss of Wii U sales in September due to there being a better selection of games to choose from and people turning their back on it purely out of spite.
3: And here' the big one - remember which other game was pushed back to September recently? That's right, Grand Theft Auto 5. What PS3/360 gamer in their right mind is going to plump for a platformer like Rayman over a phenomenon like GTA?

Terrible business decision by the higher ups at Ubisoft and I feel very sorry for the Wii U owners who actually bought tyhe console just to play this.

And you are talking from a gamers point of view. You obviously have a lot of love for Rayman and gaming in general so yes you have heard a lot about it. But the marketing I am talking about is the marketing that will hit the general public as it is this marketing that will count, fans like yourself don't need to be sold the game as they know you will keep up to date with previews and reviews.
thecreator 25

Postby Old McGroin » 08 Feb 2013, 17:12

@ thecreator

But that's my point, I'm not a fan of Rayman at all but the demo piqued my interest and couple that with the fact that there is not a whole lot out there for Wii U owners at the moment meant I was more than likely going to buy it. I now know that by September there will be a better selection of games and so Rayman is no longer of any interest to me. Like you say, fans of the series will lap it up (I'm sure one or two Wii U owners will shun it out of pure spite, and I wouldn't hold it against them either!) but people like me, who have a brand new console with not a whole lot to buy for it, are the potential buyers Ubisoft have now lost. And like I said, there are more than 2 million Wii U owners waiting for a quality release to sink their teeth in to.
They could quite easily have released it for Wii U as planned. If it had garnered high praise and review scores then that would whet the appitite of potential buyers on the PS3 and 360. Now the hype and interest will centre on GTA 5 and Rayman will barely make a ripple in the ocean compared to it.
Old McGroin 33

Postby Version10 » 08 Feb 2013, 17:16

how will legends work without the second screen!?
Although having said that, this could mean that the next Xbox and PS4 could have a second screen as well which could explain the delay
Version10 45

Postby vulcanraven01 » 08 Feb 2013, 18:21

Stupid decision. There will be so many games out in September that no one will care about this game.
No offense, I'm sure it will be a good platformer, but this game is aimed mostly at children, so they should have maximized on the school half term, and watch the cash roll in.
Instead, this will instantly turn into a budget £25 game when the initial sales are dire.
Feel really sorry for the development team as well. I imagine they have put their heart and soul into this game, and now it could potentially go unnoticed.
vulcanraven01 58

Postby billysastard » 09 Feb 2013, 01:04

a really stupid move, so far pretty much all the publicity it's been getting is very positive for the quality of the game but now its going to get a cut down version ported to last gen systems with the inevitable result that most magazines will be reviewing these cut down, last gen versions so instead of those versions launching into a starved market bathed in 90+ critical reviews its going to be sinking in the market of AAA blockbusters launched around that time with far lower review scores and a lot of negative feelings from wii u customers.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Next