Ouya CEO: 'There will be a new Ouya every year'

Your comments on our articles.

Android console will follow mobile industry's lead

Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman has confirmed that the Ouya console will release on a yearly basis.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ouya CEO: 'There will be a new Ouya every year'

Postby Padua » 08 Feb 2013, 01:37

Is this going to be the worlds first fragmented console :?: I backed this project but even though I am still enthusiastic I may just wait for the OUYA 2 now. I wonder if the games are going to be sold on the PLAY store too? Maybe Android will finally catch up with the quality games on iOS.
Padua 63

PSN ID: ACD1306

Re: Ouya CEO: 'There will be a new Ouya every year'

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Feb 2013, 01:46

Once a year?, just as bad as Apple releasing a new Ipad every time. if it was every 2-3 years sure, but that's way too much.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby Onomatopoeia » 08 Feb 2013, 02:47

It would make sense to release it annually because IT'S A HALF A f**king SMARTPHONE IN A BOX. It's running a Nvidia with a fan, get this, IN A CLOSED BOX.

This Ouno is a fire hazard.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby Welsh Jester » 08 Feb 2013, 03:25

Onomatopoeia wrote:It would make sense to release it annually because IT'S A HALF A f**king SMARTPHONE IN A BOX. It's running a Nvidia with a fan, get this, IN A CLOSED BOX.

This Ouno is a fire hazard.

How is it a fire hazard? it's not like it's so powerful that it's gonna burn up.. you could probably do as well by just plugging a good tablet into your TV and having a separate controller.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby illage2 » 08 Feb 2013, 04:59

So when I get an Ouya, a year later its going to be obselete?
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby KippDynamite » 08 Feb 2013, 05:14

Why would I pay $100 or any amount of money for a console that would be obsolete in a years time? That can't run the newly released games? Are devs really that quick at making games? Perhaps - but not good ones . . .
KippDynamite 49

PSN ID: KippDynamite

Postby SavageEvil » 08 Feb 2013, 07:11

I smell a flop, and this one is about to follow smartphones with yearly updates? I just about convulsed in laughter over reading that. This is almost as dumb as the crap that Bobby Kotick spews when reporters are within earshot.
SavageEvil 51

Postby Richyrich316 » 08 Feb 2013, 08:30

They will not be obsolete after the first year but there will be certain games that would take better advantage of the advanced models its the same with Android now some games wont run or run at a reduced rate on certain handsets & tablets due to the hardware restrictions of some lower end models same will apply here otherwise it will flop big time & they can bury 1000's of them in the desert next to copies of atari's ET game
Watch your step, the red mists of Richyrage are descending mwahahaha
Richyrich316 53

Postby Balladeer » 08 Feb 2013, 09:04

'Phone-based console follows 'phones' sales model? Unsurprising.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby richomack360 » 08 Feb 2013, 09:40

Why would I buy this now ?
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby gayrath » 08 Feb 2013, 10:02

I was always a bit dubious about it. I mean it's Android for pitys sake. It isn't known for being the best gaming platform in the world ever (not that I have any real OS allegiances in the mobile world. I swap about more then I eat hot dinners)

But yearly updates on top of that? No thanks. You can keep this one.
gayrath 39

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 08 Feb 2013, 10:07

If you think about it you pay $400 for a new consiole that will last you on average 4-5 years before the next one is released and in that time they'll be no upgrades to it. With this model you're not paying as much up front and machine continually improves.

hasn't put mr off at all. So l0ong as they make it so that Ouya one owners can upgrade to Ouya 2 for less by getting one without a pad or maube even just the unit itself i dont see any issues with this at all.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby dwhlufc » 08 Feb 2013, 10:19

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:If you think about it you pay $400 for a new consiole that will last you on average 4-5 years before the next one is released and in that time they'll be no upgrades to it. With this model you're not paying as much up front and machine continually improves.

hasn't put mr off at all. So l0ong as they make it so that Ouya one owners can upgrade to Ouya 2 for less by getting one without a pad or maube even just the unit itself i dont see any issues with this at all.

That's not a bad idea but I can't see it happening. If its being sold in shops then stores like hmv & game (if they're still going :lol: ) would want all accessories otherwise they might struggle to shift the system if they have to sell a pad separately with each second hand unit.

Maybe there will be an option to trade your unit in direct with the company? That way you could have the upgrade cheaper and they could use your old unit to upgrade?
dwhlufc 76

Postby apalmer28 » 08 Feb 2013, 10:37

I'll get next years one then, although then I might wait to get the year afters...

Hmmm, I might never get one at all!

If everyone else thinks like this then Ouya will last ONE year! :mrgreen:
apalmer28 58

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby shellster2 » 08 Feb 2013, 11:02

Welsh Jester wrote:Once a year?, just as bad as Apple releasing a new Ipad every time. if it was every 2-3 years sure, but that's way too much.

do you mean like Samsung and every other tablet maker releasing new tablets every year? Or PC manufacturers releasing new PC's every year, or new mobile phones coming out all the time, or Intel releasing better CPU's all the time. I could go on and on but you probably wouldn't get it.

If the Ouya is backward compatible i don't see what the problem is. Vote with your wallets people. This is the way the industry is going. It's just business.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 68

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Next