to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony drops Kevin Butler ad agency

Your comments on our articles.

Bartle, Bogle, Hegarty signed up for future projects

Sony Computer Entertainment America has ended its relationship with Deutsch L.A, the ad agency responsible for creating Kevin Butler, in favour of Bartle, Bogle, Hegarty.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony drops Kevin Butler ad agency

Postby dannyhulse » 07 Feb 2013, 13:13

Kevin Butler, aka, the only good thing to ever happen to Sony's marketing department.
dannyhulse 47

Re: Sony drops Kevin Butler ad agency

Postby luttman23 » 07 Feb 2013, 14:18

That's a shame, was looking forward to Kevin Butlers PS4 adverts.
Those that know how to win are much more numerous than those who know how to make proper use of their victories. -Polybius
luttman23 46

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby Madjeski » 07 Feb 2013, 14:54

How is it I have never heard of Kevin Butler? Were the ads USA only or have I been living under a rock?
Madjeski 46

Xbox Live: MagicMadjeski
PSN ID: Madjeski

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 07 Feb 2013, 15:00

Jerry Lambert did a fine job, but I wouldn't be surprised if they pick another actor to portray Kevin Butler in future campaigns. When your unofficial mascot becomes this popular you don't let it go, do you? (thinks of Naughty Dog's Crash games, and cries a little :mrgreen: )
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Sangor » 07 Feb 2013, 15:36

Who needs Kevin Butler when you have Bartle, Bogle, Hegarty.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 50

Postby CatfishMurphy » 07 Feb 2013, 16:29

Good. Sony's marketing has been rubbish this gen compared to the towering heights it used to reach.

Actually now that I think about it, games adverts in general have just been rubbish this gen and certainly all this live action shite can f**k right off; how exactly is an "actor" slumming it in expensive cosplay selling me a game?
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby gmcb007 » 07 Feb 2013, 16:45

CatfishMurphy wrote:Good. Sony's marketing has been rubbish this gen compared to the towering heights it used to reach.

Actually now that I think about it, games adverts in general have just been rubbish this gen and certainly all this live action shite can f**k right off; how exactly is an "actor" slumming it in expensive cosplay selling me a game?

Christ knows. i never understood why the whole Kevin Butler campaign was praised as one of the best and most funniest.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Drusus » 07 Feb 2013, 16:57

gmcb007 wrote:
CatfishMurphy wrote:Good. Sony's marketing has been rubbish this gen compared to the towering heights it used to reach.

Christ knows. i never understood why the whole Kevin Butler campaign was praised as one of the best and most funniest.

It was kind of funny but none of the games they were advertising sold more, in most cases they seem to have sold rather averagely, he was a decent brand awareness campaign but as with all Sony adverts since the dawn of time, just didn't make people want the games or advertise the games well in any way.

I'm glad Sony are looking elsewhere because they have some of the best games but just don't seem to have a clue how to advertise them whereas Microsoft, they just use a tried and tested shock and awe with the volume of their adverts and have a great way of pushing the games themselves. The Halo adverts were shockingly good this gen.
Drusus 58

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 07 Feb 2013, 18:12

He has dishonored Sony.
1Nightmare1 51

Postby CatfishMurphy » 07 Feb 2013, 19:27

1Nightmare1 wrote:He has dishonored Sony.

Oh, I just remembered: isn't this the guy that Sony tried to sue for having his own face? Yeah, that was a good one :lol:
CatfishMurphy 38