PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Your comments on our articles.

Japanese newspaper claims new console will be competitively priced

... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby diablomaster000 » 07 Feb 2013, 06:50

As long as playing games on the cloud is optional this is good news and 400 dollar range is great.
diablomaster000 55
 
Posts: 319
Joined: 20 Jun 2012, 05:45
Location: United States

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby sbradley88 » 07 Feb 2013, 07:42

Well of course they plan on using it. It's WHY they bought them. Don't need any reports to tell you that. Can you say 'slow news day'?
Image
User avatar
sbradley88 59
 
Posts: 946
Joined: 09 Jan 2012, 18:06
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: ShalakashkaPS3
PSN ID: Shalakashka
Steam: Shalakashka

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby Gambini » 07 Feb 2013, 08:35

sbradley88 wrote:Well of course they plan on using it. It's WHY they bought them. Don't need any reports to tell you that. Can you say 'slow news day'?


Lmao! I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the headline!

f**king analysts....
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 11:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 07 Feb 2013, 08:58

I think with Gaikai's help, maybe with Steam as well included they could have an XBOX LIVE beater.

The more I hear about PS4, the more I want one, because MS is just getting greedy and you get nothing back from them as part of your subscription.

For the amount of time I play nowadays, a free PSN service would be great.

Let's see what develops over the coming months.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
User avatar
Old Skool Gamer 39
 
Posts: 1195
Joined: 13 May 2011, 08:41
PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby flyfletch » 07 Feb 2013, 09:20

Old Skool Gamer wrote:I think with Gaikai's help, maybe with Steam as well included they could have an XBOX LIVE beater.

The more I hear about PS4, the more I want one, because MS is just getting greedy and you get nothing back from them as part of your subscription.

For the amount of time I play nowadays, a free PSN service would be great.

Let's see what develops over the coming months.



No harm to you, its £38 for 14 months subscription if you search online, hardly bank busting sums, and if you have Live then the benefits are clear. I am SO sick of this rubbish about subscriptions, Sony brought in PS Plus because they dropped the ball not asking for a fee for PS network so they had to monetize it somehow.

One thing is clear, we may be paying for PS Plus, but that doesnt give us more stability or anything like that, what you do get is regular down time for "maintenance" this is what our PS Plus is paying for.

And you do get stuff back from Live, the Live rewards scheme has earned me over 2000 points back so far, maybe you not using Live after all? Because your in it automatically if your using it. There are quite a few other benefits which i cant be bother listing..
User avatar
flyfletch 72
 
Posts: 5742
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 13:18
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby cult » 07 Feb 2013, 09:22

Gaikai: Expected news confirmed by rumour.
Summer will be warmer than now, don't take my word though, ask a weatherman in six months.

The 40,000 yen, 400 $ price tag will need to be monitored.
You know once you convert the currency, pass on the costs for bricks and mortar, add a UK years original seller warranty, shoe in a profit margin its gonna smell like £425 ($666).
ImageImage
This week I will be mainly going 'clear' and fighting aliens.
User avatar
cult 63
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: 08 Jul 2008, 19:52
Location: United Kingdom
Wii Code: WiiU Online MrAngry

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby ricflair » 07 Feb 2013, 09:31

Hopefully it's optional (which it surely will be), because unless Sony have found a way to get rid of the lag, it's of no use to me - even for demos, it doesn't tell me how a game plays. It's impressive tech, but not quite there yet, and I could see it being incorporated in to PS+.

I can't see Steam being integrated in any meaningful way - certainly not in the way that really benefits me on PC - fantastic sales, plus Sony have already done pretty well in terms of sales/offers, at least for a console manufacturer! After all the noise Gabe made about it, it turned out to be next to pointless. I had a few games of Portal 2 co-op with a mate on PC, and I got my PC copy which was great, but in terms of it being a feature, it really wasn't.
Future Plc, you bloody idiots.

RIP CVG. Long live CVGSC!! http://cvgsc.boards.net - http://thewildbunchcvg.wix.com/cvgsc
User avatar
ricflair 78
 
Posts: 13330
Joined: 19 Feb 2008, 23:13
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby ingy » 07 Feb 2013, 09:36

I think all this talk of abandoning the big bad 720 is a little premature, after all nothing has actually been said by microsoft yet, so let's all calm down a little.

And if blocking used games is seen as a nice little earner you can be damn sure sony will adopt this also, i fear sony's reveal will probably be little more than a 'yes we are making a new console' surrounded by lot's of promises and pre rendered footage, just like all their previous consoles,....still exciting though.
ingy 64
 
Posts: 2130
Joined: 08 Nov 2006, 12:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby murph_77 » 07 Feb 2013, 10:03

$428 = £428! :(
murph_77 45
 
Posts: 530
Joined: 16 Jul 2010, 14:43
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby Gambini » 07 Feb 2013, 10:09

flyfletch wrote:
Old Skool Gamer wrote:No harm to you, its £38 for 14 months subscription if you search online, hardly bank busting sums, and if you have Live then the benefits are clear. I am SO sick of this rubbish about subscriptions, Sony brought in PS Plus because they dropped the ball not asking for a fee for PS network so they had to monetize it somehow.

One thing is clear, we may be paying for PS Plus, but that doesnt give us more stability or anything like that, what you do get is regular down time for "maintenance" this is what our PS Plus is paying for.

And you do get stuff back from Live, the Live rewards scheme has earned me over 2000 points back so far, maybe you not using Live after all? Because your in it automatically if your using it. There are quite a few other benefits which i cant be bother listing..


The thing is, the very reason I never purchased a 360 this generation is because LIVE, in essence, it just paying to be allowed to play online. Yes, there are other 'benefits' now, but PSN+ clearly provides more value in terms of a gamer perspective. I don't want reward points, I want games, and that's exactly what PSN+ offers.

There's nothing wrong with either approach, but I actually think it's MS that will lose out in the long run if they don't provide a "free" online option.
My Most Anticipated Games for 2012/13: http://quicklinkr.com/gambini
Gambini 53
 
Posts: 1150
Joined: 25 Nov 2009, 11:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 07 Feb 2013, 10:29

I am SO sick of this rubbish about subscriptions, Sony brought in PS Plus because they dropped the ball not asking for a fee for PS network so they had to monetize it somehow.

One thing is clear, we may be paying for PS Plus, but that doesnt give us more stability or anything like that, what you do get is regular down time for "maintenance" this is what our PS Plus is paying for.


I own both Xbox and PS3, and never noticed any glaring stability or downtime issues with the latter... There was that PSNgate two years ago that put a serious dent into Sony's reputation, and the system updates are more frequent (some find it annoying, some don't) but apart from that and gadgets like cross-game chat I don't find the PSN to be lacking service-wise in any way compared to the Live, and its lackluster reputation seems more like fanboyism coupled with the PSNgate and the perception that anything "free" is necessarily cheap or of lesser quality.

Pricing model and overall value, however, are clearly in Sony's favor when it comes to the PS+. Only Steam is providing better opportunities on PC, but on consoles Microsoft is clearly behind with the Live. Which is understandable, if not justifiable, since they weren't the underdog anymore.
Stan_Goodspeed 62
 
Posts: 1408
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 20:33
Location: France
Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 07 Feb 2013, 11:10

Price isnt a huge factor, if I have the money available I will buy one on launch if its the console I decide to get. But a $400 price tag would certainly be better than $600
Image
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
User avatar
DAEDALUS79 75
 
Posts: 16419
Joined: 01 Oct 2006, 13:00
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19
Wii Code: WiiU________Daedy79

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby TheLastDodo » 07 Feb 2013, 11:15

sbradley88 wrote:Well of course they plan on using it. It's WHY they bought them. Don't need any reports to tell you that. Can you say 'slow news day'?


:lol:

I have no say in it but you'd have my vote for comment of the week.
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby Barry316 » 07 Feb 2013, 11:17

PS4 will have Sony written somewhere on the box and will use electricity - report.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
User avatar
Barry316 67
 
Posts: 8095
Joined: 20 Apr 2011, 21:23

Re: PS4 will use Gaikai cloud technology - report

Postby lordirongut » 07 Feb 2013, 11:18

I think it's doubtful they'll force Gaikai on us for several reasons. First, all the other outlets I've seen covering this story mention it being used first and foremost as a social networking tool - a solid idea, I think, to save on processing power. Second, the PS4's rumoured specs are significantly more powerful than what essentially a video streaming device would need if it used Gaikai only. Third, The world's internet speeds and broadband providers still aren't up to scratch, and Sony realise this. Until the day when all providers cease to have download caps and can handle huge loads of traffic at once without lag, then cloud-only gaming remains unviable as a complete alternative. Video streaming is different because input lag isn't so noticeable, and in terms of picture quality most would still accept DVD quality which is good because it allows services like Netflix to change video resolution on the fly to meet demands. In gaming, graphical quality is something that we place a greater emphasis on.

Also, kudos to Sony on a reasonable price, if this is true. That works out at around £250, so with the usual UK inflation we'd be looking at roughly £300 when it lands here. Quite reasonable, I think, considering I paid that for a PS3 two years after release!
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
User avatar
lordirongut 68
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: 03 May 2009, 12:47
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: lordirongut

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chali2na, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]