to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

New Tomb Raider video shows Basecamp; fast travel

Your comments on our articles.

Trailer showcases off non-linear elements

Square Enix has released a new video showcasing the non-linear elements in the forthcoming Tomb Raider reboot.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

New Tomb Raider video shows Basecamp; fast travel

Postby Onomatopoeia » 07 Feb 2013, 01:03

Another reboot that's not needed. If they looked at the older games (especially the second game) they'd find out that it was all about level design. Now they're trying to make it too cinematic and it's going to sacrifice gameplay. Tomb Raider was about 3 things.

Puzzles
Exploration
Level design

I'll keep watch of it but so far it looks s**t, which isn't a surprise at all really.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Re: New Tomb Raider video shows Basecamp; fast travel

Postby StonecoldMC » 07 Feb 2013, 01:16

I think this looks brilliant.

What an end to the generation were going to have!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 81
Global Moderator

Postby Onomatopoeia » 07 Feb 2013, 01:18

StonecoldMC wrote:I think this looks brilliant.

What an end to the generation were going to have!

I think this gen has been bad all round.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby MakoChanX » 07 Feb 2013, 03:32

Onomatopoeia wrote:I think this gen has been bad all round.

Couldn't agree more.
MakoChanX 27

Postby HelloLadies » 07 Feb 2013, 06:49

MakoChanX wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

I don't agree 100% but it definitely hasn't been one of the best. To many clones, rush jobs, unjustified cash grabs and half baked plots. Roll on next gen. It will either be a return to form or we'll be lighting the funeral pyre.
HelloLadies 51

Postby sonic_uk » 07 Feb 2013, 10:30

What gets me is the "non-linear" mention in the article like its a feature or something special that has never been done before, but as others have said the whole point of a Tomb Raider game is an open level with exploration being a major factor. I'm still getting it, I even played a short bit of it at Eurogamer (didn't play too much of the demo on purpose as I didn't want to spoil the experience of the full game) but I'm not expecting it to be anything like the previous games. I wish they'd remake Tomb Raider 2 and 3 like they did with Anniversary. Oh, and put Lara's mansion back in to the games too. I used to love spending many an hour exploring the place.

MakoChanX wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

HelloLadies wrote:I don't agree 100% but it definitely hasn't been one of the best. To many clones, rush jobs, unjustified cash grabs and half baked plots. Roll on next gen. It will either be a return to form or we'll be lighting the funeral pyre.

Yep, agree there. Drm, download only, fleecing dlc/on disc dlc, day 1 patches, online passes, cutting out physical stuff like instruction manuals from physical games (even though the price is still the same).

This gen has definitly not been one of the best.

16-bit forever!
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby Down with robots » 07 Feb 2013, 14:54

Onomatopoeia wrote:Another reboot that's not needed. If they looked at the older games (especially the second game) they'd find out that it was all about level design. Now they're trying to make it too cinematic and it's going to sacrifice gameplay. Tomb Raider was about 3 things.

Puzzles
Exploration
Level design

I'll keep watch of it but so far it looks s**t, which isn't a surprise at all really.

The original Tomb Raider was a game that got you to think about your next move, this one looks completely brain dead.
Down with robots 52

Postby gmcb007 » 07 Feb 2013, 14:58

I'd much rather have a remastered Tomb raider 2 and 3 including the original mansion (not that terrible training course mansion featured in Underworld).
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby silent moose » 07 Feb 2013, 15:43

Tomb raider is my favourite game series of all time and tomb raider 2 is quite possibly my favourite game ever. Seeing what they've done to it with the quicktime events, the cinematic presentation, rpg systems, the multiplayer etc actually hurts my soul. The thing is though people actually requested these things, I saw a tomb raider fan on the offical website post a comment asking for co-op and online multiplayer I just don't understand it. This will probably be the first tomb raider I don't buy. If I do buy it will be when its peanuts on steam I dunno maybe its storytellng will redeem it but I doubt it and its not what tomb raider is about really, it's not what I play it for anyway. Underworld gets alot of abuse which is partly why they decided to change the series but personally I liked it, I felt it was return to the ambitious level design and exploration that made core design's original series great and a step in the right direction but that's just me :x :cry:
silent moose 44