GameStop shares drop after 'next Xbox blocks used games' rep

Your comments on our articles.

Investors react to speculation about Microsoft's new console

US retailer GameStop's shares are "trading sharply lower" this morning after Edge reported that the next generation Xbox will utilise anti-used games measures.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GameStop shares drop after 'next Xbox blocks used games' rep

Postby Simon_H4 » 06 Feb 2013, 17:44

*Turns fan on full blast*
*Throws s**t at fan*
Last edited by Simon_H4 on 06 Feb 2013, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_H4 70

Re: GameStop shares drop after 'next Xbox blocks used games'

Postby gazza_be » 06 Feb 2013, 17:59

Its amazing what a baseless rumour can affect these days.

I might stay up all night photoshopping together the next big rumour to spread around the gaming sites tomorrow.
gazza_be 49

Postby Barry316 » 06 Feb 2013, 18:02

gazza_be wrote:Its amazing what a baseless rumour can affect these days.

I might stay up all night photoshopping together the next big rumour to spread around the gaming sites tomorrow.

Make it a Dreamcast 2 rumour please, we're due one.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby Boab Dreeps » 06 Feb 2013, 18:21

Maybe they could make a profit from selling more 'new' stuff?
Isn't that the way it used to work?
Imagine that...paying money for something that is NEW?! Still in the wrapper! No snotters on the instruction booklet and the disc doesn't look like it's been used as a coaster!
It might just catch on. Especially if you have no other choice...

Well...you do have a choice.
It's called the WiiU
Boab Dreeps 14

Postby fatgangsta » 06 Feb 2013, 18:25

gazza_be wrote:Its amazing what a baseless rumour can affect these days.

with the way business treat us customers are you that suprised that people alittle bit afraid of even baseless headlines
fatgangsta 41

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 06 Feb 2013, 18:28

Boab Dreeps wrote:Well...you do have a choice.
It's called the WiiU

Definitely the Wii U for me then.
Free Nintendo eShop, PSN, Steam Wallet codes and many other gift cards here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr 57

Postby damoxuk » 06 Feb 2013, 19:22

They said same about PS4 a few weeks back.

Personally I never buy pre-owned however i'd like the option to sell games so yes hopefully this news is not true - same goes for PS4.

But it's a rumour - this benefits Publishers mainly not so much Microsoft and Sony.
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby nb_nmare2 » 06 Feb 2013, 19:35

Herbert_Rarr wrote:
Boab Dreeps wrote:Well...you do have a choice.
It's called the WiiU

Definitely the Wii U for me then.

Indeed. What with its masses of AAA games, hordes of eager 3rd party developers, and incredible next gen graphics. Oh, wait.
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 06 Feb 2013, 19:53

nb_nmare2 wrote:
Herbert_Rarr wrote:Definitely the Wii U for me then.

Indeed. What with its masses of AAA games, hordes of eager 3rd party developers, and incredible next gen graphics. Oh, wait.

It's been stated that Durango and Orbis will likely use 1080p as the standard resolution and disregard 4k or similar graphics.
Nintendo is steadily gathering 3rd party support and will continue to do so as developers come to learn ways around certain shortcomings in the system, much the same process that occurred with other current gen consoles (just look at the difference in quality between 360 and PS3 launch games and their recent releases).
Nintendo has just announced an extremely strong lineup of AAA titles and other new installments for popular first-party franchises for the Wii U to be released this and next year.
Last edited by Herbert_Rarr on 06 Feb 2013, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
Free Nintendo eShop, PSN, Steam Wallet codes and many other gift cards here: http://lootpalace.com/?ref=182952. Guaranteed not a scam. PM me for more info.
Herbert_Rarr 57

Postby jacksaddiction » 06 Feb 2013, 19:53

This is interesting if true. I work for a games retailer and can honestly say that a large portion of our new software sales are purchesed with store credit generated from trade-ins. Remove the consumers ability to exchange their unwanted products for new products and new sales will drop. Not everybody can afford their desired games thus give their least desired products towards towards them. Risky venture. Obviously retailers will be bricking it at this unconfirmed info, but honestly, if it turns oit to be true I sadly wont purchase one.
jacksaddiction 52

Postby nb_nmare2 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:03

Herbert_Rarr wrote:It's been stated that Durango and Orbis will likely use 1080p as the standard resolution and disregard 4k or similar graphics.

I was referring to the quality of the graphics (number of polygons, texture size, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, tessellation, etc), not the display resolution. The PC has been capable of HD-esque resolutions for a couple of decades now, so if that were all that mattered we'd all still be playing Duke Nukem 3D.
Last edited by nb_nmare2 on 06 Feb 2013, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Balladeer » 06 Feb 2013, 20:08

Then there's his two other points you didn't respond to. Third party support is dubious, but implying Nintendo won't have a good supply of AAA games - pffft. (Unless you're talking about now, two months after launch.)

I swear I had a post, but then the forum eated it. Anyway, this is all rather déjà vu, isn't it? My money that I don't have is currently on neither introducing a pre-owned block, because of the huge alienating factor (this site: case in point). But if they did, most of the site would buy them anyway, albeit with some moaning. I see it as a sad inevitability, to roll round at some stage.
RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby billysastard » 06 Feb 2013, 20:10

why cant these spineless store owners evolve a backbone and refuse to stock any software or hardware that supports any kind of anti consumer drm, if they had acted when the first online passes appeared by refusing to sell the games this trend would have been consigned to the dustbin og history already.

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby nb_nmare2 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:11

Balladeer wrote:Then there's his two other points you didn't respond to. Third party support is dubious, but implying Nintendo won't have a good supply of AAA games - pffft. (Unless you're talking about now, two months after launch.)

The number of AAA games for the Wii that exists is in the single digits (might be a slight exaggeration, but only slight), and that's after six years. With 3rd parties even less hyped up about the new console than they were for the Wii, I fail to see how the Wii U is going to improve in this area.

(And by the way, I do own a Wii, though I don't think I've bought a single game for it since Super Smash Bros. Brawl in 2008)
Last edited by nb_nmare2 on 06 Feb 2013, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Herbert_Rarr » 06 Feb 2013, 20:17

nb_nmare2 wrote:
Herbert_Rarr wrote:It's been stated that Durango and Orbis will likely use 1080p as the standard resolution and disregard 4k or similar graphics.

I was referring to the quality of the graphics (number of polygons, texture size, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, etc), not the display resolution. The PC has been capable of HD-esque resolutions for a couple of decades now, so if that were all that mattered we'd all still be playing Duke Nukem 3D.

Then in that department the Wii U is more than adequate. It's not as if Durango and Orbis are going to present a stunningly vast improvement over what's available now, and if that's the aspect of gaming that is most important to you, then just buy a high-end PC for what...£1000?
Herbert_Rarr 57

Next