to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Metacritic: EA ranked number one publisher in 2012

Your comments on our articles.

Site ranks publishers according to critical reception

EA released more critically acclaimed titles in 2012 than other major publishers, according to statistics compiled by Metacritic.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Metacritic: EA ranked number one publisher in 2012

Postby diablomaster000 » 06 Feb 2013, 06:58

i highly doubt microsoft is second with all the kinect games that bombed this year. also microsoft only major exclusive was halo 4 and forza again like in 2011.
diablomaster000 52

Re: Metacritic: EA ranked number one publisher in 2012

Postby lonewolf2002 » 06 Feb 2013, 09:22

diablomaster000 wrote:i highly doubt microsoft is second with all the kinect games that bombed this year. also microsoft only major exclusive was halo 4 and forza again like in 2011.

So they got it wrong? :lol: its a ranking based on meta score from all the publications that Metacritic use to get meta scores, its not an absolute or anything. 8)

On a side note EA are proud to announce their acquisition of Metacritic. :P
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 06 Feb 2013, 10:11

diablomaster000 wrote:i highly doubt microsoft is second with all the kinect games that bombed this year. also microsoft only major exclusive was halo 4 and forza again like in 2011.

Says on the metacritic page that Microsoft had 42 unique titles reviewed to give the tota score of 73. Didnt look very hard did you.
TheLastDodo - "EU PS Store: Lowering........scratch that, Burying the bar since 2007"
DAEDALUS79 72

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby patiotom » 06 Feb 2013, 12:08

So we all hate EA but we all can not stop buying Need For Speed, FIFA, Crysis, Batman, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Sim City/Sims, Star Wars or C&C.

Everybody bitches about EA on such a scale but the fact is they make good games, if only gamers cared this much about corporate interventions within society as a whole rather than bitching about EA or Activision!!

Been buying EA games for 20 years + now and I for one will be getting this year Dead Space, Sim City, Crysis 3 and hopefully Battlefield Bad Company 3. And all i will say is: "is it fun", "does it look good" and "does it work", not grumbling about giving too a corporation who you dislike for really silly reason like DRM who cares its 2013 have not lost internet for more than an hour in like 5 years!!
patiotom 34

Postby Drusus » 06 Feb 2013, 12:25

I think people are getting confused, sales and customer reviews don't factor into this at all.

This is all reviews from publications. People think it sounds wrong but don't think of this as they released the best games, assume this chart is who spent the most money swaying publications.

When you put it in that context EA and Microsoft are exactly the two you'd expect to be up there. I love Microsoft but even with good games like Halo they are ruthless in their press handling.
Drusus 56

Postby ghuk » 06 Feb 2013, 12:48

patiotom wrote:So we all hate EA but we all can not stop buying Need For Speed, FIFA, Crysis, Batman, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Sim City/Sims, Star Wars or C&C.

Everybody bitches about EA on such a scale but the fact is they make good games, if only gamers cared this much about corporate interventions within society as a whole rather than bitching about EA or Activision!!

Been buying EA games for 20 years + now and I for one will be getting this year Dead Space, Sim City, Crysis 3 and hopefully Battlefield Bad Company 3. And all i will say is: "is it fun", "does it look good" and "does it work", not grumbling about giving too a corporation who you dislike for really silly reason like DRM who cares its 2013 have not lost internet for more than an hour in like 5 years!!

Couldnt agree more with you sir,

I myself have been purchasing EA titles since the days of the Megadrive and their releases have been mostly excellent. Cant understand why people feel the need to constantly slag EA off. Its just utter immature & childish behavour............
ghuk 38

Postby HelloLadies » 06 Feb 2013, 13:14

Drusus wrote:I think people are getting confused, sales and customer reviews don't factor into this at all.

This is all reviews from publications. People think it sounds wrong but don't think of this as they released the best games, assume this chart is who spent the most money swaying publications.

When you put it in that context EA and Microsoft are exactly the two you'd expect to be up there. I love Microsoft but even with good games like Halo they are ruthless in their press handling.

+1 for insight.
HelloLadies 50

Postby stealth » 06 Feb 2013, 13:24

this article ( metacritic) is ridiculous, and best ignored, since the numbers get doctored
stealth 47

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 06 Feb 2013, 14:17

patiotom wrote:So we all hate EA but we all can not stop buying Need For Speed, FIFA, Crysis, Batman, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Dead Space, Sim City/Sims, Star Wars or C&C.

Been saying the same thing for some time now. EA publish some of my favorite games, Sim City, Battlefield, Mass Effect, Fifa, Need for Speed. The crazy thing is that they still managed to make a loss for the last couple of years now and may be removed from the NADAQ. Haters will hate though.
Two Pennys Worth 53

Postby CatfishMurphy » 06 Feb 2013, 14:49

I used to be on the same page as you with this and I still think that a corporation's business morality has little to no impact on the user's enjoyment of the game and people just harp on about it to justify the game of angels and demons they've got playing inside their heads, so I didn't have that much of an issue with EA as they'd made some of my more preferred games this gen.

However, my experience with EA last year was abysmal:

Kingdoms Amalur - A repetitive MMORPG that had the considerable disadvantage of being single player and being offline.

Syndicate - I'm pretty sure I played this from start to finish, but I can't remember a single thing about it beyond the nagging sensation that I was bored for 8 hours in spring of 2012.

Mass Effect 3 - 120 hours ruined by 10 minutes of utter b*****ks, lazy game design and narrative cop out. The biggest cultural misstep since Jar Jar Binks. Still, at least it had multi-player... which was s**t.

FIFA 13 - Completely broken single player modes on release, though the compulsory Spot the Ball mode that occurred in my second season of Be a Pro was amusing for two minutes. Ultimate Team: well I'm sure the best way to make people pay for their points is to not allocate them properly or at all for in game activity, so nice one there EA. At least there's online multi-player I suppose... which was hosted on a rusty server in Albania, supervised by a part time shepherd, and connected to the rest of the world by a spider's thread of copper. I swear the most read sentence in October 2012 by gamers was "Our servers are not currently available. Please try again later."

So yeah, I am genuinely not buying an EA game again; not because I consider them evil (which I also do), but just because I consider their products to now be complete arse gravy.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby gmcb007 » 06 Feb 2013, 20:36

You only have to look at the development of Dead Space 3 to see why there is so much hate. Are you telling me that announcing DLC before releasing the game is rightfully justified? People don't hate big publishers because its cool but because of their actions. I do not wish to support a company that includes microtransactions in a £40 game, sticking to generic action-heavy requirements and simply ignoring their fans.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 62

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Onomatopoeia » 06 Feb 2013, 20:39

Metacritic is full of s**t and always has been.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32

Postby silent moose » 06 Feb 2013, 20:42

silent moose 40

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 06 Feb 2013, 22:59

2K on same par as Rockstar? Gtfo
1Nightmare1 48

Postby Df3nce » 07 Feb 2013, 01:16

Well said
Df3nce 5
New user

Next