to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Dead Space 3 review round-up: From 5/10 to 9.75

Your comments on our articles.

All the review scores in one place...

In our Dead Space 3 review we described EA's threequel as a "technically impressive all-out action blaster" but added that it "betrays its roots and suffers for it."... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dead Space 3 review round-up: From 5/10 to 9.75

Postby toaplan » 05 Feb 2013, 15:59

So is it a 9,5/10 game or a 5/10 game? I'm always up for a decent action game and I think the game should be graded as such. Most of the reviews seem to think it's a pretty good or even a very good action game, save for the dissenting voice of "VideoGamer".

Still, having played the DS3, DmC and MGRR demoes recently, I'd have to say that the other two appear to be more exciting action games than DS3. I like the ice-planet setting though. But there would certainly have been less competition in the survival horror genre. Who knows perhaps they'll revisit that genre in the future, if it's still deemed commercially viable, for a big-budget game.
toaplan 73

Re: Dead Space 3 review round-up: From 5/10 to 9.75

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Feb 2013, 16:25

I recommend giving the destructoid review a read. It's lengthy, critical but fair.

If we were in summer drought I think I might buy it but with God of War, Gears, Bioshock, Last of Us, Metal Gear coming up, not a chance til the price is dropped.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby middle finger » 05 Feb 2013, 16:27

When I'm done with Ni No Kuni, this should be around 20 pounds.
middle finger 63

Postby flash501 » 05 Feb 2013, 17:47

I know it's completely subjective and all but I just can't understand how opions about a game can vary so wildly from one reviewer to the next. I mean, look at these two summaries:

Dead Space 3 is a let down because it's not a very good action game, and a really substandard horror game. It is devoid of ideas, hung up on laborious combat and obsessed with making even the exciting seem boring. In truth, it's a bit of a shocker.

Dead Space 3 evolves the winning formula into a title not only befitting of the fantastic series, but also one of the best games of this generation.

How could both of those statements be about the same game???

It's almost like there's some foul play afoot!
flash501 78

PSN ID: flash501

Postby dwhlufc » 05 Feb 2013, 18:43

flash501 wrote:I know it's completely subjective and all but I just can't understand how opions about a game can vary so wildly from one reviewer to the next. I mean, look at these two summaries:

Dead Space 3 is a let down because it's not a very good action game, and a really substandard horror game. It is devoid of ideas, hung up on laborious combat and obsessed with making even the exciting seem boring. In truth, it's a bit of a shocker.

Dead Space 3 evolves the winning formula into a title not only befitting of the fantastic series, but also one of the best games of this generation.

How could both of those statements be about the same game???

It's almost like there's some foul play afoot!
good point, also, cvg say its around 18 hours while other reviews are indicating towards a 10 hour playthrough.
dwhlufc 75

Postby Fr33Kye » 05 Feb 2013, 19:41

How the hell did they all play the same game? ....there's even a ten hour difference on playtime. O.o One of the best games of this generation ---- s**tty action game. Fails it's predecessors -----lives up to the standard of the old and expands on it. No real scares or horror -----i cried for weeks.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby laslowoodbine » 05 Feb 2013, 20:19

Fr33Kye wrote:How the hell did they all play the same game? ....there's even a ten hour difference on playtime. O.o One of the best games of this generation ---- s**tty action game. Fails it's predecessors -----lives up to the standard of the old and expands on it. No real scares or horror -----i cried for weeks.

Well I imagine the reason is the same as the comments sections from any of us posters about our favourite games and others complete disinterest of the same.

For me the best PS3 game has been Metal Gear 4 but I know others hate it.

As for the length of the game well maybe some critics played it on easy with aim assist. While the other who claims 20 hours played on insane with no assist. Or maybe, just maybe he was crap at it!
laslowoodbine 49

Postby Simon Carlin » 05 Feb 2013, 20:51

For those of you confused about the scores:

o·pin·ion

Noun
A view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
The beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.

A little p**s takey, sure :) but I've found, as games have become technically better, it's really about how much you're invested in any type of game. I know I will like this, so I am taking the higher end numbers as my point of reference. I took the low end scores for Mass Effect, because I found the first game as enjoyable as having my eyes stabbed by a clown. It's a matter of personal taste.

It's rare that you get plainly common s**t games these days.

But another thing I have learned about this generation, is that it pays to wait and within a year I'll pick up the goty edition for about £20.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby illage2 » 05 Feb 2013, 21:17

5/10 .... a bit harsh to be honest. At least CVG were honest and fair when giving out the scores. I bet Video Gamer gave CoD a 10/10 though right?
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2