to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Iwata questioned on personal accountability

Your comments on our articles.

As Nintendo anticipates another full-year loss, investors question leadership liability

The personal accountability of Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has been called into question for the first time after two years of financial under-performance at his company.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby illage2 » 05 Feb 2013, 14:03

I think by 2016 Nintendo won't exist any more.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby johnno.13777 » 05 Feb 2013, 14:05

Sneaky C+VG... correcting the line '....Nintendo reported a net loss of £330 for the year prior....' before i could get there...
johnno.13777 1
New user

Re: Iwata questioned on personal accountability

Postby 360_Fan » 05 Feb 2013, 14:16

Big price cut on the way hopefully.
360_Fan 61

Postby JOFF » 05 Feb 2013, 14:20

illage2 wrote:I think by 2016 Nintendo won't exist any more.

Nah, i think nintendo have long legs.But I honestly don't think they would be posting these sorts of losses if they got their online sh%t together, lot's of money to be made but they just don't seem too bothered, wii u eshop is a barren wasteland with only a few, overpriced games.
Last edited by JOFF on 05 Feb 2013, 14:22, edited 1 time in total.
JOFF 33

Postby FixBeatGames » 05 Feb 2013, 14:22

i agree. the wii u got away with being underpowered because of the 'family factor' which was made possibly by it's exceedingly cheap price.

now they've got an underpowered machine that costs MORE than it's competitors. i sincerely think wii u will struggle massively against ps4/720. assuming wii u doesn't costs loads less than them when they arrive.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby goggy » 05 Feb 2013, 14:22

Yeah right, because $12 billion in your bank account is just not enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby 360_Fan » 05 Feb 2013, 14:26

This
360_Fan 61

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 05 Feb 2013, 14:29

They're the third largest company of the third largest economy on the third planet in the solar system... I think they'll do fine :wink:

That being said, their strategy has been quite questionable as of late... Between the 3DS launch woes, the WiiU arriving much too late (even if that stems in part from that first point) and now the global scepticism about its post PS4/xbox3 chances... Iwata doesn't need to go, but they need to understand they can't keep sailing on that blue ocean forever.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby kimoak » 05 Feb 2013, 14:40

I can't imagine a world without Nintendo making a console. Even moreso I can't see them making software for their competitors. They would jizz their pants over their exclusives. It would be amusing watching the bidding wars for Mario though. :)

The fan base is much too large, imo. Although, I bought a 3DS and it's bollox.
Optimus Prime: I want you to go in that bag, and find my wallet.
Megatron: Which one is it?
Optimus Prime: It's the one that says Bad motherf**ker
kimoak 57

Postby richomack360 » 05 Feb 2013, 14:50

goggy wrote:
Yeah right, because $12 billion in your bank account is just not enough.

Means diddly squat if the investors / share holders agree on an EGM (Extraordinary General Meeting) and decide on a vote of no confidence in Iwata and appoint someone else to take over.

..and that 12 billion - is that liquidity or share value ? Big difference in each.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Schlowbro » 05 Feb 2013, 14:52

No. Just so. People have been saying that for YEARS (or maybe decades) and Nintendo are still here...

I really can't imagine a world without Nintendo. People always seem to wonder if one day they will stop selling hardware and "do a Sega"...I DON'T BELIEVE IT.
Schlowbro 48

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 05 Feb 2013, 15:07

kimoak wrote:I can't imagine a world without Nintendo making a console. Even moreso I can't see them making software for their competitors. They would jizz their pants over their exclusives. It would be amusing watching the bidding wars for Mario though. :)

The fan base is much too large, imo. Although, I bought a 3DS and it's bollox.

Same here, Nintendo is a true giant and their exclusives alone make them an integral and invaluable part of gaming. But that doesn't mean they can rely solely on their exclusives (or waste them like they do with Metroid) and neglect the rest. In this casual-friendly, connected BS of a world we live in they absolutely need to consider two things:
1/ Enter the mobile sphere with their next handheld, one that could play exclusive games for their 30-something fanbase but with a form factor that both allows for physical controls and touch capabilities tailored (or dumbed down, depending on where you stand) to the casual crowd, doubling as a kid-friendly - and affordable - smartphone for the younger folks who doesn't want or need some fancy £400 iStuff.
2/ Clean up their online mess on the console side, with a Nintendo Network that's a real, serious rival to the xbox Live and PS+. Bluray player, HDD and a real digital store straight out of the box. Oh, and Metroid Dread also.
Stan_Goodspeed 61

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby stealth » 05 Feb 2013, 15:09

"or waste them like they do with Metroid"

3 metroid games this gen isnt wasting.
stealth 47

Postby thesnowman86 » 05 Feb 2013, 15:12

Seems slightly harsh given that since taking over the helm they have dominated both the home console and portable markets whilst making some major profit along the way. Yes they may now post two years of consecutive losses but people seem to forget that as far as new hardware releases go this is completely normal. The majority of new hardware is sold at a loss for a year or two and although Nintendo avoided doing this with the Wii this is not something given the current financial climate that they could do with the current crop of console releases. I can guarantee you Sony/Microsoft will lose on there new consoles for at least a year or two before seeing any sign of profitability.

Nintendo have an incredibly loyal fan base of millions, have some of, if not thee, biggest brands in gaming and are still sitting on a multi billion bank balance.....they are in a more secure position than Sony by far and there is no way (apart from some kind of global catastrophe/nuclear holocaust) that they won't be here in 2016. Simple as that
thesnowman86 40

Postby stealth » 05 Feb 2013, 15:16

Nintendo hit pretty much every franchise they had this gen at least once

sin and punishment - 1 game
golden sun - 1 game
pokemon - multiple
zelda - multiple
mario - multiple
kirby - multiple
donkey kong - multiple
metroid - multiple
Star fox - 1 or 2
glory of heracles - 1 game
starfy - 2 titles
magical vacation - 1 title
kid icarus - 1 title
ect

The only series they really neglected was f zero.
stealth 47

Next