to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Capcom slashes Devil May Cry sales forecast

Your comments on our articles.

Ninja Theory project now expected to sell 1.2m copies by April - down from the initial 2m target

Capcom has almost halved global sale projections for the latest Devil May Cry game, after shipping one million copies into retail for release.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Capcom slashes Devil May Cry sales forecast

Postby richomack360 » 05 Feb 2013, 11:55

That’s down to one of two things, actually, it’s down to one thing – Capcom’s arrogance and bizarre self belief in their products and abilities. All of which have come up short in recent years.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Capcom slashes Devil May Cry sales forecast

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Feb 2013, 12:05

Shame.

Haven't picked it up yet as I'm saving up for other things but I will at some point, maybe over the summer.

I'd rather they just kill off the series than go back to the "proper DMC", for no reason other than I'm just a selfish prick.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 05 Feb 2013, 12:13

TheLastDodo wrote:Shame.

Haven't picked it up yet as I'm saving up for other things but I will at some point, maybe over the summer.

I'd rather they just kill off the series than go back to the "proper DMC", for no reason other than I'm just a selfish prick.

It's really good. I dont want them to go back to the old DMC either. If they did it's just feel like a poor mans Bayonetta.

this on the otherhand stands on its own two feet as a different take on the genre that has much better story telling than most of the other games in the genre.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Barry316 » 05 Feb 2013, 12:24

They need to get rid of their chief analyst.....

Agent75 wrote:Japan is no longer are hardcore region. If it's not Japanese, they won't buy it. A complete edition will surface with even more bug fixes and DLC. Once things start happening with the Xbox 720 and PS4, there will be a Wii U price drop. But if the Xbox 720 and PS4 weigh in at a high price. Nintendo joined high def gaming way too late and it's never really been into online gaming. I'd hate to think how much the PS4 will cost. Sony's TV division makes a loss, which is only down to their prices. Even Sony batteries are a rip off. Current games are pretty average. There's a gaming crash coming, probably the biggest ever. 3DS sales are slowing, the Vita is still crawling along, Xbox 360 and PS3 sales are slowing. Xbox 720 will win next gen
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby Agent75 » 05 Feb 2013, 12:26

CAPCOM have always been overrated. The PS2 rolled in the money for them. Can't say I enjoyed every game they knocked out, but Onimusha 2 and Devil May Cry are 2 games that I rate. Only Resident Evil 2, CODE: Veronica and Resident Evil 4 are the only games I rate from their over milked franchise. They took the p**s with the latest Street Fighter due to there being 3 different versions. 2D and 3D fighters are dead in the water anyway, but I wouldn't say no to SEGA's Virtua Fighter 6. The way things are going, they're going to go to the wall like some many before them. They need new franchise and maybe a lot of new ideas for Resident Evil. It's needs a total new direction.
Agent75 48

Postby Barry316 » 05 Feb 2013, 12:29

Holy balls, if only i could guess the lottery numbers that easy!
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby Fr33Kye » 05 Feb 2013, 12:31

I neeed to pick it up, so excited to play it. If it manages 1.2 million we still have a really good shot at a sequel. And since the tears of fanboys keeps me young and strong nothing would make me happier. I'd love to see another, would be hilarious/fantastic.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby sammikid » 05 Feb 2013, 13:01

I wasn't even sure about this reboot or whether i'd pick it up, not due to its redesign but the fact it was DMC and I had got tired of the series.
After giving it a chance, I was pleasantly surprised at what Ninja Theory had managed to do for the series. Its just a far more interesting game then the previous titles, better characters, combat and story. I'd go as far to say I enjoyed it more than past titles.
Despite it selling below capcoms expectations, I wouldn't want this reboot any other way. My only negative towards it being superficial, they could have given it a bit more polish in some places, that I half expected a patch upon playing it the first time.
sammikid 59

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby XpAcErX » 05 Feb 2013, 13:43

Its a real shame that Ninja Theory cant get a break with a successful selling game. They are truely a AAA developer I think their games are unique, polished and extremely well done.
XpAcErX 22

Steam: VGBetas
xFire: VGBetas

Postby blackholes » 05 Feb 2013, 14:17

That's a shame because I'm absolutely loving it! The best DMC I've played. Ninja Theory have made an excellent reboot, hope this doesn't hinder chances of a sequel
blackholes 37

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 05 Feb 2013, 14:18

I am 17 missions done with 3 to go, and it has been a blast to play. Really enjoying it and the combat is exhilirating.

It is a very very good game. Ninja Theory are a great developer, they just can't get a break, as Enslaved was also underrated gem and didn't sell that well.

The main thing I love about this DMC is there are NO respawning enemies which plagued all the previous games when going back through a level.

I really do hope we get a sequel.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby vulcanraven01 » 05 Feb 2013, 14:31

It's a good game but releasing it in January was their downfall.
After the general expenses of Christmas and the mass amount of games released around then, people either had no money or were still busy playing those games.
Feb-March is the earliest a publisher should be releasing a 'big' game after Christmas, if they expect to make serious sales.
Ok, they might have been scared of the competition during those months, but now DMC is destined to be a bargain-bin game, along with another game Capcom over-estimated, Resident Evil 6.
vulcanraven01 58

Postby Darkreaper419 » 05 Feb 2013, 18:52

Not truly surprised by this since it was already in a state of uncertainty and Capcom has been on the low end of its fan community. I have already played the game (rented) and it is a shame if it doesn't merit a sequel, but at the same time I could see why. Its not the best work in my opinion that I was expected from ninja theory (ala the characters and story) but there are a range of other things many who have played and enjoyed the previous titles would come to odds with. I will get this in the future when a price cut happens or a bit more cash comes my way.
Darkreaper419 3
New user

Postby wwinterj » 05 Feb 2013, 19:45

DmC is a mediocre game at best. All I can guess is it was greed that made Capcom reboot a successful series.
The boss fights are rubbish, limited weapons and as a result of that the gameplay suffers.
Characters, plot and voice acting are also average at best. The level design and the way the game looks is great but that won't make folk buy it. IF Capcom want more Devil May Cry by 2015 a smart man would make DMC 5 but with that said Capcom have already lost the plot so I think DmC 2 will happen and history will repeat itself.

Sorry for the rant but it just makes me sad when a game series I enjoy is run into the ground by greed. Taking your fans for granted and assuming they will buy any rubbish with the Devil May Cry name on it doesn't cut it and Capcom have found that out.
wwinterj 49

Postby shadowsblaze » 05 Feb 2013, 20:09

Agent75 wrote:CAPCOM have always been overrated. The PS2 rolled in the money for them. Can't say I enjoyed every game they knocked out, but Onimusha 2 and Devil May Cry are 2 games that I rate. Only Resident Evil 2, CODE: Veronica and Resident Evil 4 are the only games I rate from their over milked franchise. They took the p**s with the latest Street Fighter due to there being 3 different versions. 2D and 3D fighters are dead in the water anyway, but I wouldn't say no to SEGA's Virtua Fighter 6. The way things are going, they're going to go to the wall like some many before them. They need new franchise and maybe a lot of new ideas for Resident Evil. It's needs a total new direction.

The sad thing is they had some great ideas last generation. Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, Gregory Horror Show. Even at the beginning of the Wii's life they had Zack and Wiki. They then decided to abandon any ideas of creating intersting new IP, disbanded Clover Studios and lost their most talented staff who went to form Plantinum Games. They've been going downhill ever since.
shadowsblaze 55

Next