to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Crytek does not 'want to continue with Darksiders 3'

Your comments on our articles.

Studio will utilise core Vigil developers on other projects

Crytek has confirmed that it will not pursue Darksiders 3, following its recent employment of key Vigil staff in the wake of THQ's collapse.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Feb 2013, 02:56

It's great that they've found work but I still can't help but feel...

"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby slamatron » 05 Feb 2013, 02:57

thats a big disappointment i loved the darksiders games.
slamatron 50

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Re: Crytek does not 'want to continue with Darksiders 3'

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Feb 2013, 03:20

Hardly surprising though, the sequel was pretty much a flop, commercially.

THQ clearly thought this was gonna be their next (first?) AAA franchise that the masses would buy in their millions but the general public just didn't take to it and for once it's hard to call out the masses. They didn't mind throwing their cash at Minecraft, Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, Dragons Dogma or many other smaller names last year.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Imaduck » 05 Feb 2013, 06:57

:(
Imaduck 58

Postby flyfletch » 05 Feb 2013, 08:19

Darksiders 2 was rubbish in my eyes and clearly a lot of other people thought the same, i would rather they left Darksiders until they can come up with something much better than 2.
Save CVG!
flyfletch 70

Xbox Live: Flyfletch
PSN ID: FlyFletch

Postby runadumb » 05 Feb 2013, 08:46

flyfletch wrote:Darksiders 2 was rubbish in my eyes and clearly a lot of other people thought the same, i would rather they left Darksiders until they can come up with something much better than 2.

I thought 2 was disappointing in its direction (the whole loot thing and mini dungeons) but certainly not rubbish. I would still LOVE to see a third game.
runadumb 61

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 05 Feb 2013, 09:14

Darksiders 2 wasn't as enjoyable as the first one IMHO, but it was still a very good game and the Vigil folks extremely competent devs. It's a shame they won't be able to keep on with the series, not to mention that "Crawler" project Jason Rubin raved about.

If only a dev with talent and a genuine knack for that particular Western art style and gameplay (i.e not Platinum Games) could end up in charge of a third episode... I fear it might end up as another Shenmue 3 unfortunately.
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby Sroey » 05 Feb 2013, 10:34

runadumb wrote:
flyfletch wrote:Darksiders 2 was rubbish in my eyes and clearly a lot of other people thought the same, i would rather they left Darksiders until they can come up with something much better than 2.

I thought 2 was disappointing in its direction (the whole loot thing and mini dungeons) but certainly not rubbish. I would still LOVE to see a third game.

This!

Darksiders was a great Zelda style/clone game with a superb story and amazing ending. Darksiders 2 (while good in its own right) just seemed to distance itself from what made the 1st so good. It chose a different direction which I think has hurt the series.
Sroey 33

Postby cupoftea » 05 Feb 2013, 11:31

Cant realy see darksiders taking off that well the first 1was just bad got realy bored with it quickly didnt waste my cash on second however it must make darksiders creators a little bit upset that no i wants to carry on the series i does kinda annoy me when game companys have 2 sack ppl or go bust because this generition of gamers only wany the yearly copy of cod or fifa there is more genre of games out there but thats the way it goes
cupoftea 36

Postby Toasted_PSP » 05 Feb 2013, 12:54

I enjoyed both Darksiders games but the problem with them was they are not AAA games and not worth £40. Games like these highlight that not all games should launch at £40, £20 - £25 would have been more appropriate for these games and that may have dramatically increased their sales.
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby maximuskain » 05 Feb 2013, 13:52

Yup. I pre-ordered 2 and was extremely disappointed that it went open world with the settings almost the same as the next dungeon with different puzzles. I was hoping its just a bigger 1 with better graphics and expanding on the story. If there was nothing wrong with the mechanic don't fix it. The first one is a sleeper hit becuase it gave us a multiplatform bad@$$ Zelda game. 2 though gave us a medieval gta clone.
maximuskain 3
New user

Postby mojothejester » 05 Feb 2013, 14:09

aww, darksiders are great games. disappointed :(
mojothejester 27

Postby MrPirtniw » 05 Feb 2013, 14:16

Not worth £40? A GTA clone? Whaaaat? Both Darksiders games were pretty big- much bigger than your average AAA blockbuster at any rate. I too prefer the original, but there was plenty about the sequel I liked. They took the original game and added a bit of Prince of Persia to it as well as looting and RPG elements to try and keep the series fresh.Each game was to take a different direction and I think that was a really brave thing to do.
Both games were absolutely worth the full price in my opinion, a new IP, an awesome universe and a mish mash of proven game styles that gelled together really well- not to mention a fantastic art direction (managed to avoid being brown and grey nor was it a generic anime style).
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 05 Feb 2013, 14:25

Well, lets hope that someone picks up the IP licence, some like Ninja Theory, who have done a great job with the DMC reboot. But not Platinum Games, Having an Eastern influence will destroy the Western art style of what makes DS unique.

And before people say it, Ninja Theory is a British developer not Japanese.

DS1 is brilliant, but as others have mentioned, DS2 wasn't as good, mainly because it went too open world. Had it stayed more linear like DS1, then it would have been awesome. Having said that, it is still a very good game.

Hopefully though we will get a third and fourth game to conclude the story.

Am also glad that Vigil employees got picked up fast, as they are a great developer
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby Skullet » 05 Feb 2013, 17:18

I'm not surprised Crytek aren't considering Darksiders 3, if Vigil had survived I doubt they would have considered it either, the franchise was commercially dead after the 2nd game. Crytek made the right choice, acquire the staff for free without having to pay for worthless IP.
Skullet 59

Next