to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Koch Media CEO: 'no doubt' that Metro and new Saints Row wil

Your comments on our articles.

Also expresses little desire to 'be the next THQ'

Koch Media - the company that acquired the Metro and Saints Row properties following THQ's collapse - has confirmed that both IPs will spawn new games in 2013.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Koch Media CEO: 'no doubt' that Metro and new Saints Row wil

Postby FixBeatGames » 05 Feb 2013, 01:36

they only just got it, in Feb 2013, yet they're going to develop and release a full AAA saints row game, in 10 months.....

i bet it wont have any bugs in it and will be well worth full price, then. :roll:

it would've been nice if someone with some passion for the product picked up the rights. rather than someone with $ signs in their eyes. oh well.
FixBeatGames 41

Re: Koch Media CEO: 'no doubt' that Metro and new Saints Row

Postby FlacidDonkeyGuy » 05 Feb 2013, 02:01

FixBeatGames wrote:they only just got it, in Feb 2013, yet they're going to develop and release a full AAA saints row game, in 10 months.....

i bet it wont have any bugs in it and will be well worth full price, then. :roll:

it would've been nice if someone with some passion for the product picked up the rights. rather than someone with $ signs in their eyes. oh well.

Saint Row 3 came out in 2011, Saints Row 4 would of already been put into production before the release of 3, as the last Red Faction game tanked. So the core team behind them games would of moved over to the Saint Row games get a grip :roll:
FlacidDonkeyGuy 35

Xbox Live: FlacidDonkeyGuy
PSN ID: Raviolay
Steam: Raviolay

Postby TheLastDodo » 05 Feb 2013, 02:55

Volition were working on a new Saints Row due for sometime this year anyway.

It was going to be a budget priced expansion and released in 2012 originally but they decided to flesh it out and make it into a proper sequel.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby solamon77 » 05 Feb 2013, 04:35

I have to agree with him. It's nice to see a CEO with such a reasonable mindset. It seems like these big companies have been playing fast and loose with the video game industries future. One company spends $25 mill on a games budget so the next company spends $35 mill. One company spends $50 mill on ads so the next one has to spend $60 mill. Now, we've reached this point where most games can't even come close to making back their production costs thus undermining any chance of real creativity.

Meanwhile, customers are complaining about price gouging, a lack of innovation, annualized sequels, and a general lack of regard show to them by these large publishers. It feels more and more that the core games market has been pushed to the absolute breaking point, leaving core gamers to wonder at the long-term health of their beloved hobby.

Not that gamers are complicit in all this. We are relentlessly critical (or worse, downright dismissive) of any game that tries something new. We claim to prefer gameplay over graphics, but then don't actually support this proclamation with our wallets. We claim to be sick of annualized franchises that show little real improvement (at least not so much improvement that a patch couldn't cover) yet games like Madden, Call of Duty, & Assassin's Creed still bring in record numbers.

Wow, how did I end up getting so off topic? Alright, I'm getting down off my soapbox now.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 05 Feb 2013, 06:21

FlacidDonkeyGuy wrote:
FixBeatGames wrote:they only just got it, in Feb 2013, yet they're going to develop and release a full AAA saints row game, in 10 months.....

Saint Row 3 came out in 2011, Saints Row 4 would of already been put into production before the release of 3, as the last Red Faction game tanked. So the core team behind them games would of moved over to the Saint Row games get a grip :roll:

That's some optimistic thinking you got there. Two years is not merely enough. You telling me that it takes Rockstar 4-5+ years to develop a descent GTA, yet Volution can do it in near 2 year release interval!? Hell SR2 was released in 2008, that means that SR 3 had 3+ years to develop and look at how much of a pos it turned out to be compared to previous two. Not to mention that we all know that Kock Media is probably at least not stupid enough to release it in Fall/Holiday to 2013 since that's when GTA V is coming out.

This means that we take their announcement for granted, then the game will probably release no later than end of Summer. And unless THQ really wanted to f*ck us over when SR3 came out, I seriously doubt SR4 is going to be worth renting.
1Nightmare1 52

Postby 360_Fan » 05 Feb 2013, 08:08

A new saints row would be nice. I'll give them a chance to get the series back on track. I don't like the chances of it releasing near GTA 5 though. I actually think that despite a new gen launch hopefully, there isn't going to be much released around next Christmas with GTA 5, COD, and Fifa all around the same time. Who would want to go up against them?
360_Fan 61

Postby cupoftea » 05 Feb 2013, 11:35

I think all the game companys hate thq from wat i have been reading lately :shock:
cupoftea 36

Postby FlacidDonkeyGuy » 05 Feb 2013, 14:24

"You telling me that it takes Rockstar 4-5+ years to develop a descent GTA, yet Volution can do it in near 2 year release interval!?"

Well lets see one GTA game (and two "expansions" in the same city space) Vs three Saints Row games & two Red Faction games you do the math. Also Red Dead and Max Payne 3, oh and also Table Tennis don't count as they are done by separate studios.
FlacidDonkeyGuy 35

Xbox Live: FlacidDonkeyGuy
PSN ID: Raviolay
Steam: Raviolay

Postby FixBeatGames » 05 Feb 2013, 14:58

FlacidDonkeyGuy wrote:"You telling me that it takes Rockstar 4-5+ years to develop a descent GTA, yet Volution can do it in near 2 year release interval!?"

Well lets see one GTA game (and two "expansions" in the same city space) Vs three Saints Row games & two Red Faction games you do the math. Also Red Dead and Max Payne 3, oh and also Table Tennis don't count as they are done by separate studios.

i did the maths, they should have saints row 4 knocked up in just over a year, if they want a 2013 release date. you feel that's enough time for a £40 AAA title, fairplay to you. you should work for activision!
FixBeatGames 41

Postby mrlister » 05 Feb 2013, 17:32

Their name is pronounced cock. That is all...
mrlister 46

Xbox Live: Shinishii
PSN ID: Shinishii
Steam: Shinishii

Postby 1Nightmare1 » 05 Feb 2013, 18:46

FlacidDonkeyGuy wrote:"You telling me that it takes Rockstar 4-5+ years to develop a descent GTA, yet Volution can do it in near 2 year release interval!?"

I think you miss interpret my statement. I don't give a toss about who can pop games faster, I'm arguing that SR4's quality is at stake since it doesn't seem like the franchise has been given realistically enough time. Read the passage again and bare in mind that Rockstar is a much bigger studio. I'm not saying that Volution has to take half a decade to develop a half descent game, I just think that they need way more time than they are given. Normally games that come out within a 2 year period of release of each other(or in this case 1 and a half since we know that they are not going to release it next to GTA V) tend to suck, and you should know that.
1Nightmare1 52

Postby gmcb007 » 05 Feb 2013, 21:27

If the next SR is anything like that glorified FTP SR:TT then they shouldn't bother. SR needs a dramatic rehaul to continue successfully. The last game already showed that they were scraping the barrel for ideas, hell it even had less content than SR2!
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it