to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Halo 4 multiplayer update adds Doubles games

Your comments on our articles.

Plus Spartan Ops Episode 8 goes live Monday

343 Industries has detailed Monday's Halo 4 multiplayer update, which is set to introduce Spartan Ops Episode 8 and Infinity Doubles game types.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Halo 4 multiplayer update adds Doubles games

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 02 Feb 2013, 07:57

Sold my copy this week, they took too long to sort all this out, no excuses as the game was in development for 3+ years and even the file browser didn't work, they ruined the playlists big time and were boring apart from Dominion, DLC was a waste of money, only got to play it 12 times in just under 2 months which is a pisstake, given up with Halo for the future, really don't care what it looks like on next gen, I'm moving onto something else like Destiny or Battlefield in the future 343 Industries you suck a big one. :twisted:
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 39

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Re: Halo 4 multiplayer update adds Doubles games

Postby Jentario » 02 Feb 2013, 10:37

Old Skool Gamer wrote:Sold my copy this week, they took too long to sort all this out, no excuses as the game was in development for 3+ years and even the file browser didn't work, they ruined the playlists big time and were boring apart from Dominion, DLC was a waste of money, only got to play it 12 times in just under 2 months which is a pisstake, given up with Halo for the future, really don't care what it looks like on next gen, I'm moving onto something else like Destiny or Battlefield in the future 343 Industries you suck a big one. :twisted:

Your loss :/

Anyway, the multiplayer is finally starting to work (Griffbal and bug fixes with loads more to come- including a ranking system of 1-50), Forge is awesome as ever, Spartan Ops is achieving its potential and the Campaign has always been good (even if its a little short). And if you wanted to play the DLC you should have gone to the DLC's playlist, lol. The only really bad feature in Theater which we can only use for War Games and Forge. That legitimately sucks but then I didn't use that feature much anyway.

Considering its their first game as a team, 343 have done a bang-up job especially after some clean up. Surely they've learned from their mistakes and are bound to make an even better Halo game for the next gen console. Go 343!
Jentario 53

Postby richomack360 » 02 Feb 2013, 15:08

Jentario wrote:Anyway, the multiplayer is finally starting to work

That's not good enough, the MP - considering ex Bungie employees and seasoned programmers worked on the game, should work from day 1. End of. Suggesting that the MP is finally starting to work is just sad, would you be happy with a car that only just started to work several months after initial purchase ? I know I wouldn't

(Griffbal and bug fixes with loads more to come- including a ranking system of 1-50),

The 1-50 ranking was broken when it appeared in Halo 2 and 3, people deranked, had hissy fits when they were matched wrongly, and bragging about their rank took over the forums way way back on bungie.net. The ranking system and some stats should always remain hidden, as having it viewable breeds "number jerks"

Spartan Ops is achieving its potential

You serious ? It's terrible. Several seasons of wandering around the same maps, cut scenes that only made sense if you had read the books (didact / librarian would not be known by someone just getting into this trilogy) The missions themselves were so utterly utterly dull playing through them became a chore. They alwasy ended with "oh a giant wave of Covie troops appeared on the horizon", which they did not detect, despite having the most advanced warship mankind has ever produced flying near by.

Campaign has always been good (even if its a little short).

The campaign had a "been there, done that" feel to it. Like going back to the same holiday resort year after year - YAY you are going on holiday, but you know whats around the corner.

And if you wanted to play the DLC you should have gone to the DLC's playlist, lol.

Only bit I agree on, does seem daft not going on that playlist after obtaining the DLC, but hey ho.

Halo 4, considering how much talent was working on the game and development time, was sub par at best. I rated it 8 on release, now its a 6. Still someone is yet to tell me how MC's armour changed whilst in cryo stasis, or why the vehicles in Halo Wars do not make an appearance....bizarre
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby MrPirtniw » 02 Feb 2013, 15:58

Sorry to hear it's not won you over Rich- I really enjoyed it (I still stand by my 8/10ish score though- it's not as good as Halo 1 or 3 IMO). Not sure what everyone means by the multiplayer being broken- I've had no issues getting games and the only reason I get lag is when I end up playing with a particular guy on my friends list who's always online and has the worst internet connection in the universe.

I remember that the books state at one point that the Chief's armour is able to upgrade itself via some sort of nanotech or something- can't quite remember. But other than that, I beleive everything's been altered slightly simply for 343 to push the graphics further and give the game its own look. And it does look stunning.

As for the vehicles from Halo Wars- I agree, I'd love to be in the middle of an epic vehicle based battle with all types of ground units blowing the crap out of one another. Halo 4 vehicle selection felt a bit smaller on the Covvie side (I do love the Mantis though).

I found the first set of Spartan Op's pretty good but got bored of them very quickly due to the repeating maps, however they've just released the new map pack and it's upped my interest again. If they can add a Broadsword space battle in there I'll be happier than if someone smothered cheesecake over Emma Stone then removed Emma Stone and handed me the spoon.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Jentario » 02 Feb 2013, 20:25

richomack360 wrote:
Jentario wrote:Anyway, the multiplayer is finally starting to work

That's not good enough, the MP - considering ex Bungie employees and seasoned programmers worked on the game, should work from day 1. End of. Suggesting that the MP is finally starting to work is just sad, would you be happy with a car that only just started to work several months after initial purchase ? I know I wouldn't

(Griffbal and bug fixes with loads more to come- including a ranking system of 1-50),

The 1-50 ranking was broken when it appeared in Halo 2 and 3, people deranked, had hissy fits when they were matched wrongly, and bragging about their rank took over the forums way way back on bungie.net. The ranking system and some stats should always remain hidden, as having it viewable breeds "number jerks"

Spartan Ops is achieving its potential

You serious ? It's terrible. Several seasons of wandering around the same maps, cut scenes that only made sense if you had read the books (didact / librarian would not be known by someone just getting into this trilogy) The missions themselves were so utterly utterly dull playing through them became a chore. They alwasy ended with "oh a giant wave of Covie troops appeared on the horizon", which they did not detect, despite having the most advanced warship mankind has ever produced flying near by.

Campaign has always been good (even if its a little short).

The campaign had a "been there, done that" feel to it. Like going back to the same holiday resort year after year - YAY you are going on holiday, but you know whats around the corner.

And if you wanted to play the DLC you should have gone to the DLC's playlist, lol.

Only bit I agree on, does seem daft not going on that playlist after obtaining the DLC, but hey ho.

Halo 4, considering how much talent was working on the game and development time, was sub par at best. I rated it 8 on release, now its a 6. Still someone is yet to tell me how MC's armour changed whilst in cryo stasis, or why the vehicles in Halo Wars do not make an appearance....bizarre

-Spartan Ops second half (after the midseason break) is actually really good. It's been two full episodes and no map has been repeated yet, plus the new map are actually huge and feel like campaign maps.
-The MP was always fine but now its getting better and closer to the state of previous Halo games (in terms of quality).
-The 1-50 ranking system will only be accessible through Halo Waypoint and that will eliminate most jerks, and it wont work the same way as the previous 1-50, just a number that states your skill that's all. I don't see how that can do any harm, on the contrary.
- As for Campaign, I do agree it was a little too linear (when compared with Halo CE or Halo 3, for instance).
- The DLC's playlist is actually quite good, its got a variety of gametypes (like playlists should) as opposed to Halo 4's standard "playlist-by-gametype" thing (which I hate, Big Team Infinity Slayer? Really? Where is BT CTF and KotH and Swat and Dominion? It makes no sense...) and the maps are actually good.

In general, I love Halo 4 and surely more than Reach (which seemed to fall short in many more places than Halo 4 did). They made many mistakes and they even admitted to it- Franky actually said the game is by no means perfect and that it had many issues but that they've learned from their mistakes and will make a much better game next time (he wasn't admitting defeat, only saying the game could have been better).

I'm not staying for you to stick with Halo, just don't shut your eye completely. When the next game comes out and there's a decent trailer, then decide whether you want to leave. If you truly love Halo you'll do it :)
Jentario 53

Postby chedda memba » 03 Feb 2013, 01:03

Well i think its the best halo since the original. Its close to the original gameplay wise (when fighting the covie on foot) but i feel the elites are still a bit different to fight. I dont understand why they dont make it the same as the original coz the gameplay from that game is still to this day some of the best in the genre. In fact it still has not been surpassed. 343 have have done a great job i think the multiplayer is the best of any halo cant wait now to see where thy take us for 5 n 6.
chedda memba 40