to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA narrows losses but sales decline

Your comments on our articles.

Publisher lost $45 million during the final three months of 2012

Electronic Arts brought in noticeably less money than usual during the last three months of the year, though a tighter grip on its finances ensured that its overall loss wasn't as traumatic as it might have been.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 31 Jan 2013, 12:03

I hope EA look at things very closely and rework their strategy - used to love EA back in t'day...now I really think twice about touching ap roduct with their logo on.

The Zynga of consokle gaming is something I hoope they don't turn into
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 31 Jan 2013, 12:06

It just shows you can make consistently good games and still fall into the red. I'm all for DLC such as BF3 premium if it means EA can keep funding games like BF, Mass Effect and Fifa. I know people think EA are the devil incarnate but if they don't pull themselves back into the black soon i'm afraid we might not keep seeing all these great games we take for granted.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Re: EA narrows losses but sales decline

Postby richomack360 » 31 Jan 2013, 12:13

Two Pennys Worth wrote:It just shows you can make consistently good games and still fall into the red. I'm all for DLC such as BF3 premium if it means EA can keep funding games like BF, Mass Effect and Fifa. I know people think EA are the devil incarnate but if they don't pull themselves back into the black soon i'm afraid we might not keep seeing all these great games we take for granted.

Those great games were around before EA started to buy up the devs who produced them. If EA go under would it really have a massive lasting effect ? Probably not, in some areas yes, in others no.

As one dev put it - EA's influence is like getting a bearhug you don't want or needed
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby XpAcErX » 31 Jan 2013, 13:36

They didnt put out much at the end of the year. Madden'13, NFSMW and Medal of Honor WF(which bombed). Then they released a couple of retreads like mass effect trilogy and BF3 premium. Of course it was a slow season. if they had Dead Space 3 and Army of 2 released things would have probably been better.
XpAcErX 22

Steam: VGBetas
xFire: VGBetas

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 31 Jan 2013, 14:46

richomack360 wrote:
Two Pennys Worth wrote:It just shows you can make consistently good games and still fall into the red. I'm all for DLC such as BF3 premium if it means EA can keep funding games like BF, Mass Effect and Fifa. I know people think EA are the devil incarnate but if they don't pull themselves back into the black soon i'm afraid we might not keep seeing all these great games we take for granted.

Those great games were around before EA started to buy up the devs who produced them. If EA go under would it really have a massive lasting effect ? Probably not, in some areas yes, in others no.

As one dev put it - EA's influence is like getting a bearhug you don't want or needed

Your probably right, i just don't like uncertainty around some of the games i love, but in this day and age i guess nothing is set in stone when it comes to the games industry.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby illage2 » 31 Jan 2013, 14:58

Oh .... I wonder why lets have a look shall we.

- Fifa 13 launch fails (In fact Fifa on the whole fails IMO)
- Online passes on pretty much every game even if it does not have multiplayer (Like ME2)
- Day one DLC (Like ME3)
- Being voted the worst company in America last year.
- Ruining good franchises (Such as Command & Conquer)
- Not giving developers creative freedom.
- Lets not forget how slow of a season they had last year with crap like Fifa 13, a remake of Mass Effect (again), Crappy American sports titles, MoH warfighter (Which wasn't bad, but it wasn't fun)
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby freds1 » 31 Jan 2013, 15:27

My heart bleeds for them :)

They need a good kick up the arse anyway, the way they do things makes me sick.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 56

Postby Inspector74 » 31 Jan 2013, 19:18

Im with you man I love a lot of their games and franchises wierdly enough with the exception of FIFA
Inspector74 36

Postby HelloLadies » 01 Feb 2013, 05:53

Of all the big publishers this is the one I could live without the most. Activision running a close second unless they can successfully revive some of their old franchises that made them what they are today. Sadly the overpriced DLC and subscription model rot has taken a triumphant foot hold on the industry so if EA went belly up it would have little to no influence in that regard.
HelloLadies 50

Postby Brenton » 01 Feb 2013, 09:41

Less linear shooters that are MP orientated and spurn campaign and more original ideas will help stem the tide of losses. Hopefully this will be a wake up call that if they continue their losses will not recede. They need to take a good look at games such as Far Cry 3, Dishonoured, Borderlands 2 and TES: Skyrim and rethink their strategy of cheapening games to such a low level of quality and atricious story. Enough said.
Gaming is not only food for being content but a managing tool to manage and stem the tide of daily and work style stresses. Don't underestimate it...
Brenton 15

Xbox Live: Sparhawk70
Steam: Sparhawk122
Battle.net: SPARTALON