to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Rare exec George Andreas joins Sony

Your comments on our articles.

Former Microsoft employee steps away after 16 years

Long-serving Rare executive George Andreas has resigned from the studio to join Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Rare exec George Andreas joins Sony

Postby EvilWaterman » 30 Jan 2013, 12:54

He obviously had inside info on the direction of Microsofts next gen plans ,ahem social games, and jumped ship to join Sony..... :lol:
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Re: Rare exec George Andreas joins Sony

Postby Barry316 » 30 Jan 2013, 13:07

Poor bugger, he's gone from making avatar accessories to go to explaining on the PS blog every week why Europe gets nothing on the store again.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby sammikid » 30 Jan 2013, 13:09

CVG/Rob ... may be a good idea to include some of the titles he was involved in when rare made good games:

Donkey Kong 64
GoldenEye 007
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo-Kazooie
Viva-Pinata

Lets hope this means he'll be going back to his roots before he was stifled with Kinect development.
sammikid 60

PSN ID: SammIKid

Postby S-Smith » 30 Jan 2013, 13:17

"My forward-thinking and unique creative vision combined with my world class user experience-focussed skills have made me a key go-to person throughout the organisation for many hardware and software initiatives," Andreas said on his new LinkedIn profile.

lol you can tell he worked for MicroSoft then i.e HEAD = BIG
S-Smith 41

Postby adgr19 » 30 Jan 2013, 13:21

i wonder if making countless mini games for kinect 2 had anything to do with it?

good catch sony
adgr19 52

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 30 Jan 2013, 13:26

"My forward-thinking and unique creative vision combined with my world class user experience-focussed skills have made me a key go-to person throughout the organisation for many hardware and software initiatives"

Sounds like they found their new Kevin Butler :wink:
Stan_Goodspeed 60

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby starvinbull » 30 Jan 2013, 13:31

sammikid wrote:CVG/Rob ... may be a good idea to include some of the titles he was involved in when rare made good games:

Donkey Kong 64
GoldenEye 007
Killer Instinct Gold
Banjo-Kazooie
Viva-Pinata

Lets hope this means he'll be going back to his roots before he was stifled with Kinect development.

He won't be actually making any games at Sony.
starvinbull 59

Postby corkscru74 » 30 Jan 2013, 13:42

So does this mean that Rare is now sans Andreas? :lol:

Sorry
corkscru74 50

Xbox Live: Corkscru74

Postby lifebrink » 30 Jan 2013, 13:46

With all the doom and gloom surrounding Sony's future at the moment I suppose its good to know that someone with, what I can only presume was a solid job at Microsoft, is willing to leave them for Sony.

Before he would have 'jumped ship', he would have no doubt asked about the current direction of Sony's gaming future. It must have been good news as he took the job, so I can only feel that this is good news for us PlayStation owners. It tells me someone with industry knowledge sees a good future with them
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 61

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby Alagorn01 » 30 Jan 2013, 14:11

hmm, perhaps if Sony aquires a couple more ex microsoft people, they could actually make a machine that isnt s**t. Granted, i know ps3 has some killer exclusives, but i haven't played them due to bad, bad hardware. looking forward to the next generation. :D
Alagorn01 16

Postby dwhlufc » 30 Jan 2013, 14:16

lifebrink wrote:With all the doom and gloom surrounding Sony's future at the moment I suppose its good to know that someone with, what I can only presume was a solid job at Microsoft, is willing to leave them for Sony.

Before he would have 'jumped ship', he would have no doubt asked about the current direction of Sony's gaming future. It must have been good news as he took the job, so I can only feel that this is good news for us PlayStation owners. It tells me someone with industry knowledge sees a good future with them

Or, they offered him a pay rise?

That'll usually persuade someone to jump ship, regardless of the company's future.
dwhlufc 75

Postby lifebrink » 30 Jan 2013, 14:23

dwhlufc wrote:
lifebrink wrote:With all the doom and gloom surrounding Sony's future at the moment I suppose its good to know that someone with, what I can only presume was a solid job at Microsoft, is willing to leave them for Sony.

Or, they offered him a pay rise?

That'll usually persuade someone to jump ship, regardless of the company's future.

Yeah true, but he would have told Bill he was quitting and then Bill would have said why? He would have told him for more money at which point Bill would have pulled an even bigger bag of gold coins out from under his desk... They would have matched if not increased Sony's offer.... anything to stop him going to a competitor

Im thinking he is going for something other than money
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 61

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby Balladeer » 30 Jan 2013, 14:25

corkscru74 wrote:So does this mean that Rare is now sans Andreas? :lol:

Sorry

StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby rhyfel » 30 Jan 2013, 15:03

it's a bloody disgrace what microsoft have done to RARE, these guys should of told microsoft where to go years ago, maybe now with joining sony we might get back some of that RARE magic that has been solely missing this generation.
rhyfel 37

Postby Zcythe » 30 Jan 2013, 16:10

EvilWaterman wrote:He obviously had inside info on the direction of Microsofts next gen plans ,ahem social games, and jumped ship to join Sony..... :lol:

Yeah right dude. The dude you are talking about was one of the people directly responsible for the Kinect and its development. He himself touted that the future is "controller-free games and entertainment" and that "everything you've learnt over the last 25 years - throw it away." :roll:
Zcythe 21

Next