to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

BioWare founder: studio 'had to be strong to survive EA bear

Your comments on our articles.

"Well meaning but vigorous" embrace was challenging but also helped company evolve

BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk has touched upon the studio's relationship with EA and its development under the company's close watch.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

BioWare founder: studio 'had to be strong to survive EA bear

Postby Ertan Ertigan » 29 Jan 2013, 11:40

would love another mercenaries game...
Ertan Ertigan 44

Re: BioWare founder: studio 'had to be strong to survive EA

Postby weston22 » 29 Jan 2013, 11:56

great games need to finish the third tho
weston22 45

Xbox Live: Warlockweso22

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 29 Jan 2013, 12:03

I think they've devolved rather than the opposite. EA's presence is definitely felt with Bioware's latest games.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby allygray69 » 29 Jan 2013, 12:37

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I think they've devolved rather than the opposite. EA's presence is definitely felt with Bioware's latest games.

Just look at SWTOR :cry:
allygray69 56

Xbox Live: GrandTheftAlly
PSN ID: GrandTheftAli
Steam: allygray69

Postby DarkAcreJack » 29 Jan 2013, 12:53

Old game developers don't die, they go off & make beer apps.
Makes games, writes books, Tweets often.
DarkAcreJack 8

Xbox Live: Dark Acre Jack
PSN ID: the_jack1975
Steam: Dark Acre Jack

Postby divinebeetle » 29 Jan 2013, 13:21

TheCrimsonFenix wrote:I think they've devolved rather than the opposite. EA's presence is definitely felt with Bioware's latest games.

Yep, Lets see what they do with Dragon Age 3
divinebeetle 37

Postby Brenton » 29 Jan 2013, 13:28

EA would appear to be a key player in further streamlining games and consequentially dumbing them down. With RPG games more like TPS then anything because epic amounts of detail is taken out of games such as eg. Mass Effect's loot system, detailed armour configuration from first ME title. Plus Dragon Age 2 being a massively short and run down game that re-used areas way too often. That's only a few to name. I could blame it on the consoles but I won't... I'll blame it solely on EA.

Also EA Dead Space 3's outlook doesn't look too good. More action then horror with co-op and the recently confirmed addition of 'micro transactions' that are used prominently on mobile phone app games and not AAA titles.
Gaming is not only food for being content but a managing tool to manage and stem the tide of daily and work style stresses. Don't underestimate it...
Brenton 15

Xbox Live: Sparhawk70
Steam: Sparhawk122
Battle.net: SPARTALON

Postby thesyndrome » 29 Jan 2013, 13:34

You know the classic movie cliche where one person has a gun to their back, and is trying to hint as subtly as possible to be saved
yeah....
thesyndrome 9
New user

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 29 Jan 2013, 13:51

Visceral Games (Dead Space developer) and Bioware are two of my favourite developers, but unfortunattely the EA bear hug has entrapped them.

Dead Space was fantastic as was Dead Space 2 but too it was too actioney. Not to sure about DS3, but am only going to buy it when it is cheap.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 are great but haven'y got 3 yet so can't comment, but I have read alot about the furore over number 3 and "that ending".

However the one thing I cannot understand is why EA would not let Bioware make a Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 3 or Jade Empire 2. The first games on Xbox were some of the best RPG's ever made.

EA need to loosen their leash on Bioware and Visceral and just let them develop the games they want and what the fans.

This is why I only buy EA games when they are very cheap (it's hard on the developers but EA are to blame as they just money driven and nothing else).
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby CatfishMurphy » 29 Jan 2013, 14:08

That's funny I always thought "survive" meant to endure and overcome whilst remaining intact, not sniffing a cloth after being asked "Does this smell like chloroform to you?" and then awaking in a gimp suit with bottom cut out of it and a sickening slapping and squelching sound coming from behind you. You learn something everyday I suppose...
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby Mastermue » 29 Jan 2013, 15:09

and not forgetting releasing dlc that should have been in the main game just to screw gamers even more... definitely an EA trait. (See Mass Effect 2 & 3)
I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
Mastermue 51

Postby budge » 29 Jan 2013, 16:00

A bit over the top there, highlanderjimmyboy. All 3 of those games that you mention were very good games even if they weren't as good as their first outings.

I'm looking forward to Dragon Age 3 so please don't f**k it up bad, Bio(once was)Ware.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby Imaduck » 29 Jan 2013, 20:25

"Bear Hug" isn't the 2 word description I'd use.
Imaduck 58

Postby Stigweird85 » 30 Jan 2013, 12:20

Sad to say I don't see Bioware lasting. When the founders left I predicted 6 months before closure of major reshuffle. It seems they will survive past that but who knows.

For what it's worth, I will be buying the next Mass Effect game(hopefully post ending rather than prequel) I'll also probably pick up Dragon Age 3.

I am beginning to despise EA though, their credo seems to be - Originality must die and all games require Multiplayer.
Stigweird85 41

Xbox Live: Stigweird85
PSN ID: BigStig85
Steam: Stigweird85