Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Your comments on our articles.

Dev strives for parity on all platforms, says Steve Papoutsis

Visceral Games executive producer Steve Papoutsis has defended the decision to release a near-direct port of the console version of Dead Space 3 to PC.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby kirankara » 28 Jan 2013, 23:49

Translation:"We know this series has run it's course, and aren't expecting big sales, hence the lack of advertising and hype, and EA told us that we have got no budget to improve PC version, so we going to try spin this in a positive manner"
kirankara 57
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 10:31
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby gmcb007 » 28 Jan 2013, 23:53

Papoutsis added, "The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different."


Well that's that then, glad he resoved that. :roll:

He's got f**k all defense.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
User avatar
gmcb007 63
 
Posts: 5475
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 21:28
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby GamesConnoisseur » 28 Jan 2013, 23:53

I have been actually just finished a very far more engrossing experience of Dead Space 2 on PC, I rented PS3, own X360 version but PC version with maxxed settings were far more immersive, scary and was thinking I must get Dead Space 3 on PC this time..

Why?!

Cheaper not to budget AT ALL for an extra job to match or exceed the excellent PC's DS2. Very disheartening to see this kind of attitude and now am wondering what this means for the artistic quality of Dead Space 3?
GamesConnoisseur 2
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 28 Jan 2013, 23:47
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby FixBeatGames » 29 Jan 2013, 00:15

gmcb007 wrote:
Papoutsis added, "The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different."


Well that's that then, glad he resoved that. :roll:

He's got f**k all defense.


you're missing his point, he doesn't need any defence, there's nothing to defend.

piracy is rife on the pc platform and there's less money to be made even before that fact on the platform. i'm not chatting rubbish, i'm a developer who can confirm both those facts. :lol:

so the fact that they're spending time and money to bring it to the platform, should be a reason for pc gamers to rejoice. but no, they moan because they've not poured loads of money (and wasting it) into researching the latest pc technology to take advantage of.

seriously, stop f**king downloading your games for free off of 'legal' websites and PAY for them (they cost less than console games do, new and boxed anyway ffs), THEN you might see ALL developers putting time and money into new pc tech.
FixBeatGames 41
 
Posts: 798
Joined: 03 Nov 2011, 12:00
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby Audest_Oggust » 29 Jan 2013, 00:28

gmcb007 wrote:
Well that's that then, glad he resoved that. :roll:

He's got f**k all defense.


you're missing his point, he doesn't need any defence, there's nothing to defend.

piracy is rife on the pc platform and there's less money to be made even before that fact on the platform. i'm not chatting rubbish, i'm a developer who can confirm both those facts. :lol:

so the fact that they're spending time and money to bring it to the platform, should be a reason for pc gamers to rejoice. but no, they moan because they've not poured loads of money (and wasting it) into researching the latest pc technology to take advantage of.

seriously, stop f**king downloading your games for free off of 'legal' websites and PAY for them (they cost less than console games do, new and boxed anyway ffs), THEN you might see ALL developers putting time and money into new pc tech.


This is 100% correct. You see less big-budget PC-exclusive games than you do console exclusive games, because a vast amount of PC gamers think "Why pay money for this game when I can just download it off a torrent site for free?" I'm sure some of you pay for your games, but most PC gamers don't. Last year, Ubisoft stated that 90%-95% of their PC gaming audience has pirated their games, and I'm sure that other developers' piracy rate is somewhere close to that range as well. Yet these are the same people that get p**sed about developers not working as hard on the PC versions of their games. My question is after numbers such as these, why do they even bother making PC versions when you're basically just handing them out for free?
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 57
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 23:42
Location: United States
Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby rivariad » 29 Jan 2013, 00:34

unlike the post above's main idea, i'll pirate the sh.t out of it just to punish them.
rivariad 46
 
Posts: 535
Joined: 02 Feb 2007, 21:25
Location: Turkey

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby Audest_Oggust » 29 Jan 2013, 01:16

rivariad wrote:unlike the post above's main idea, i'll pirate the sh.t out of it just to punish them.


For those upset about the PC port not being as good as it can be, don't blame the developer or publisher, blame this guy.
Like the funny? Support us at -- https://www.youtube.com/user/berriesbulletsbandgs
Audest_Oggust 57
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 23:42
Location: United States
Xbox Live: Audega
PSN ID: NodAtTheBird147

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby FlacidDonkeyGuy » 29 Jan 2013, 01:19

Considering they also expect PC gamers to pay console game prices RE the extra £10 that would go to console platform holders. For a port & also given it's a download with fewer costings to the publisher as well, compounded by this, I need to have ANOTHER client on my PC other than Steam. Now I have to have Origin & Uplay in-order play legit games, this game is nothing but deserving a torrent of torrents.

As for the whole piracy guff, when they do lock out the second hand games market with consoles (it's going to happen) what platforms do you think are going to have the higher piracy rates then? Also given that you need to be using a client on a PC to play most games online. With nearly all the top games being released are Multiplayer based requiring you to sign in and with constant DRM becoming the norm. You "points" and "facts" are largely moot, and bedsides I think Valve are doing quite well so Piracy cant be as bad as you are trying to make out.
FlacidDonkeyGuy 35
 
Posts: 366
Joined: 01 May 2011, 12:32
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: FlacidDonkeyGuy
PSN ID: Raviolay
Steam: Raviolay

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby Uzi77 » 29 Jan 2013, 01:28

So because there is piracy, f**k the whole platform? Don't try other methods to control piracy, just feed them s**t and tell them they are lucky they got anything? I have paid for every single PC game I own, and I own a LOT, so I get punished. I have seen enough crappy ports lately, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier being the pinnacle on a mountain-sized pile of s**t, I seriously hope DS3 is at least playable. And I believe I am right in saying that piracy is bad on consoles as well. Also, that Ubisoft figure was widely regarded as utter rubbish and just an excuse for their shoddy DRM.
Uzi77 54
 
Posts: 195
Joined: 17 Jul 2005, 11:58
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby Beebop10 » 29 Jan 2013, 01:39

"It's by no means any less important to us; it gets a lot of attention. The PC is a very different platform. As developers, you want to deliver an experience that's as similar as possible on different platforms,"


Exhibit A.Why next gen consoles can't come soon enough for PC gamers.
Beebop10 41
 
Posts: 268
Joined: 23 Dec 2010, 02:37
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby JD_Method » 29 Jan 2013, 02:00

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different," Papoutsis said, adding "We seem a little bit discredited for the amount of effort that goes into it, quite honestly."


Wow, thank you Visceral! Thank you so much for putting in the effort to make your game support the standard input method for our platform. You're clearly the hardest working developers around.

You'd better all take the remainder of the year off and get yourselves some rest before you all get burned out from making a PC game support the keyboard and mouse.

We must all recognise and champion Visceral as the unsung heroes of PC development!

Let's hear it for 'em!

Visceral! Visceral! Visceral!
User avatar
JD_Method 58
 
Posts: 808
Joined: 16 Dec 2009, 02:37
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby The_KFD_Case » 29 Jan 2013, 02:09

FixBeatGames wrote:
you're missing his point, he doesn't need any defence, there's nothing to defend.

piracy is rife on the pc platform and there's less money to be made even before that fact on the platform. i'm not chatting rubbish, i'm a developer who can confirm both those facts. :lol:

so the fact that they're spending time and money to bring it to the platform, should be a reason for pc gamers to rejoice. but no, they moan because they've not poured loads of money (and wasting it) into researching the latest pc technology to take advantage of.

seriously, stop f**king downloading your games for free off of 'legal' websites and PAY for them (they cost less than console games do, new and boxed anyway ffs), THEN you might see ALL developers putting time and money into new pc tech.


Well then, that settles that, surely?!...Except it doesn't - not by a long shot. There are many, many angles we could bicker back and forth over, yet I suspect neither of us are going to move the other much from our chosen stand points. Suffice to say that I vehemently disagree with you.

Since you are a self-proclaimed developer (and thus one presumes will hopefully have some small, if not great, understanding of PC hardware), does it or does it not come as a surprise to you, that people who may wish to play this on their PCs, people who may actually buy the game, do not (unreasonably) expect that the product they are paying for will at least cater somewhat to the platform they are intending on purchasing the game for? That something as basic (by standards today and going back 15 years) as adjusting graphical settings, increased resolutions (the PC gaming platform has been doing full-HD and beyond for over 15 years now - it isn't exactly new), maybe even throw in some extra eye candy, etc. is expected beyond the "oh-we-included-keyboard-&-mouse" controls?

As for the (still hysterical) cries of piracy (in spite of the gaming industry making more money than ever, and yes, the PC platform has been rising in numbers again the past few years and is set to eclipse the console platforms *combined* at current projections once more) they come across as exceedingly shrill and hollow when one considers the following: 1) If no money was being made whatsoever by any games released on the PC, by logic the game publishers would sooner or later completely stop releasing games on the PC. That is not the case - indeed, some companies literally thrive on the PC scene - both well established monoliths such as Activision/Blizzard, and new indie start-ups. 2) Wasn't all that oh-so-wonderful-DRM that violates various consumer rights, which has along the way physically damaged firmware & hardware in some computers (which is the private property of the owners of it, I might add, and thus they are legally entitled to compensation...funnily enough that part is not directly addressed by the scum operating various publishers and developers,) supposed to stop piracy dead in its tracks because it was clearly oh-so-effective?

You can't have it both ways, insisting that some PC games are "90-95%" pirated yet at the same time bleating on about how constantly-online-DRM, etc. has saved the day. Make up your minds, and while piracy does exist, it is just about as prevalent on the Xbox 360 scene as well as for the Nintendo Wii. It is a strawman that is pulled out when it's convenient. So, if you and other developers don't fancy your chances on the PC platform then go away - abandon it completely. I won't miss you and I suspect neither will many, many others because the reality is that there are plenty of games released on the PC that turn a profit. It's up to you boys and girls to figure out how to: a) create games that appeal and capture the imagination of the paying public, and b) employs a sound business model that makes the bean counters happy *without* violating consumer rights. If you manage to achieve that, then you'll have my sympathy and support. Until then, if you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, get out. Simple.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
User avatar
The_KFD_Case 65
 
Posts: 8002
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 14:16
Location: Norway

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby Chris Hofert » 29 Jan 2013, 04:29

"The fact that we're allowing you to control the game with a mouse and keyboard immediately makes the game feel different."

What the f**k.
Chris Hofert 1
New user
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Jan 2013, 04:25

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby lonewolf2002 » 29 Jan 2013, 08:51

FixBeatGames wrote:
gmcb007 wrote:
Well that's that then, glad he resoved that. :roll:

He's got f**k all defense.


you're missing his point, he doesn't need any defence, there's nothing to defend.

piracy is rife on the pc platform and there's less money to be made even before that fact on the platform. i'm not chatting rubbish, i'm a developer who can confirm both those facts. :lol:

so the fact that they're spending time and money to bring it to the platform, should be a reason for pc gamers to rejoice. but no, they moan because they've not poured loads of money (and wasting it) into researching the latest pc technology to take advantage of.

seriously, stop f**king downloading your games for free off of 'legal' websites and PAY for them (they cost less than console games do, new and boxed anyway ffs), THEN you might see ALL developers putting time and money into new pc tech.



Piracy is rife on the 360 and also exists on the PS3. :roll:
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: 22 Jan 2003, 11:11
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3 producer defends console-to-PC port

Postby kirankara » 29 Jan 2013, 09:06

kirankara 57
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: 01 Apr 2009, 10:31
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], HelloLadies, Phil Kavadias, shaunwilmer and 14 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]